Old 10-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Who insures your Airstream Interstate?

I am getting hassle from Progressive regarding our recently-purchased 2007 AI - specifically, they have thus far refused to accept our valuation, which we based on our actual purchase price.

I have tried to explain to them that good used AIs are very rare - there's only a handful for sale in the United States at any one time and the market values are unusually high as a result of this. On top of that, most of the older ones are private-party sales and what people are claiming as sales prices may not always be totally accurate, so the book values may be misleading.

I've offered to supply them with a copy of the bill of sale, a copy of our state sales tax receipt (we came clean and declared the entire purchase price in our actual state of residence even though we were quietly informed about supposedly-legal loopholes), whatever it takes, but they keep bouncing it around for "re-evaluation" such that it is not getting resolved.

We went with Progressive for simplicity only because we have our other vehicles already insured with them. We'd be willing to switch insurance companies if anyone knows of a better option for the AI's particular market circumstances.

Thank you so much!

Alison and Lawrence
League City, TX

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #2
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have State Farm, very happy with it.

🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Good Sam
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
We have Progressive and so far they have been a pleasure to deal with, even when I had a claim and the damage was my fault. However ours was a new purchase and they did not have a lot of choice on whether or not to accept the valuation. The fact the policy was actually purchased through USAA who carries our automobile and home insurance which may make a difference.
Make errors otherwise the Great Spirit realizes
you have finished your purpose on earth.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
GMAC, which I got through Good Sam. Progressive offered me a $400 per year discount just for being a Good Sam member, but GMAC had an even better price.

My Interstate was burglarized a mere 16 hours after I bought it, and the vile miscreant did over $3500 worth of damage to the dashboard to remove the Kenwood head unit with a crowbar. GMAC paid with few hassles, though considering it was Christmas weekend when it happened, I did have to wait a few days to get it all sorted out.

This year, the amount I've paid to date will finally exceed the amount they paid out for that incident.

One thing to keep in mind, insurance is regulated by your domicile state, and a company that offers a good deal in one state may not be able to offer an equivalent deal in your state.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:51 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member
2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Progressive so far....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
FMCA # 436814
toskeysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
2013 Interstate Coach
San Diego , California
GEICO, along with our car.
My New Blog Project:
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
State Farm did me right when I totaled a new truck and a 10 year old trailer.
When I first talked to the claim agent I told him to find 3 Airstream trailers in the same condition that mine was and I would settle for one of them. After he tried to do this for about a week, he settled on the trailer with $ and I actually made a few bucks. Though, I took a depreciation hit on the 5 month old truck. So I broke even.

SF tried to recover their loss by raising my premiums to the point they ran me off (after 25+ years as a customer). I'm with Farm Bureau now. FB wrote an agreed value policy for both of my trailers.
2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Everything we own is through USAA but they farm out RV's to Progressive but I didn't look at the total loss value. I've never made a claim with progressive so I can't say but USAA would certainly hear from this member if I had a problem.
2009 Airstream Interstate
ben322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I have Allied which originally was thru USAA and when I moved my other insurance from USAA, it turned out that Allied was still the best deal for me. Roadside assistance is part of the policy which made it a good deal.
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is simply a glass that was over designed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #11
Ralph & Shin
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
Who insures your Airstream Interstate?

Also With Progressive through USAA when purchased new. No claims, no problems so far.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Ralph & Shin
WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Thank you for all the feedback. Let me summarize FYI what I've learned this morning.

I called Good Sam Insurance because several in this thread suggested it, and the rep there was able to quote me a policy that was based on "agreed value" rather than blue book value. The premium was not appreciably higher than what Progressive had quoted me.

Furthermore, the rep said that that this is the type of policy that will "hold that same value forever" rather than depreciate our Interstate according to a predefined schedule. This is attractive to us because we intend to engage in numerous significant retrofits, upgrades and additions to the vehicle such that it really becomes a custom vehicle rather than an off-the-lot generic. Custom and generic diverge substantially in value.

The rep says that many insurance companies will only accept bill of sale as proof of valuation *for the last five model years*. Therefore with a 2007, we are out of that window and that's maybe why I have been running into serious resistance with Progressive. No proof of that but that's what he said is most likely happening here.

The insurance company he cited is actually Allied Insurance which is a division of Nationwide. So it's not Good Sam directly that would write the policy but apparently they are all connected.

I think I will try this route and I will post back if I discover any undisclosed negative issues or problems.

But this is a good thing to keep in mind for those of you who intend to be vehicle improvement hobbyists and/or keep your Interstates long-term. To safeguard your own interests, you might want to verify how your insurance company is valuing your vehicle at any given point in time. You wouldn't want any nasty surprises. I will tell you right now that what Progressive was citing for our 2007 AI's value was a joke.

Thanks again!

Alison and Lawrence
League City TX
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #13
AI owner since June 2013
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Try the Good Sam insurance vendor - which I believe is GMAC. PS - the owner of Progressive Insurance is a huge democratic party benefactor.
FlaBucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member
2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
It doesn't make a lot of sense to insure your vehicle for more than its fair-market value. You are obviously paying for the privilege. I understand the temptation to use this as a way to fund the purchase of your next vehicle. But, (a) you will (statistically) get less back than you pay (otherwise the insurance company--which has better numbers than you do--would never take the deal); and (b) you won't get ANYTHING back unless you have a claim--hardly something to hope for.

The rational path is to decide how much risk you can afford to absorb, and to insure for the lowest amount that meets that need. This almost always means taking the highest deductible you can get. Put the money you save into your "next RV" bank account. That, of course, is the hard part, but using insurance as a forced-saving mechanism is as dumb as hoping for a tax refund every April -- in both cases you are simply making interest-free loans. If you need the discipline, just send the money to me, and I will send ever cent back to you any time you ask for it.

"Agreed value" makes the least sense of all. Most people simply over-estimate the market value of whatever they are insuring. They are in effect insuring something they don't really own, in the hope that they will have an accident and cash-in. Makes no sense.

Formerly: 2005 Airstream Interstate (2500 T1N)
Now: 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE (3500 NCV3)
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote