Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2014, 07:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Which Fantastic vent cover is best for the Interstate?

Is there one that has proven to be most suitable, and if so, for what reason? If you chose a Maxx Air for your vehicle, which model? (There are several - taller, shorter, longer, bigger, etc.).

I am assuming that most if not all Interstates were born with the Fantastic that closes automatically when rain begins (or, as some commenters have noted, closes inconveniently in fog). We want to have the option of leaving ours open during rain or high humidity, which are often the times when ventilation is needed the most, so we need to install a secondary cover or replace the Fantastic with a product that has an integrated rain shield.

Thanks!!
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Good question. I would also like to add a cover to my vent.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Ultrabreeze is actually designed for the fantastic fan, by the makers of fantastic fan. Recommend using this one. Links below. Also comes in black and smoke.

Amazon
Other site
Old 12-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I installed the MaxxAir II on the front vent because it has the most grill vent area, and the regular MaxxAir on the back vent because of width restrictions between the two solar panels. They both work well, the vent lid does not open entirely but plenty. Fantastic Fan makes a vent cover that does allow full opening of the vent lid, but has a smaller grill opening than MaxxAir II.

Several color options on the MaxxAir, we choose the grayish-silver to be somewhat like the trailer, but more importantly to shade much of that bright light directly over the bed.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:57 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I am assuming that most if not all Interstates were born with the Fantastic that closes automatically when rain begins (or, as some commenters have noted, closes inconveniently in fog).
My Interstate came with a MaxxFan Deluxe Manual Opening model, not a Fantastic Fan. I really like the MaxxFan, because I can leave it open in any weather short of a hurricane with no worries about rain dripping inside the van. The only times I ever close mine are:
1 - when a Category 1 or 2 hurricane is coming and I'm not going to bug out ahead of it;
2 - when I take my Interstate to a Blue Beacon truck wash so they don't use those extra-long wands to spray inside it while washing the roof; and
3 - When I'm running the furnace. Hot air rises, and it's not terribly bright to let all of my hot air out through the roof vent.
Old 12-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
+1 on Protag's comment. I'm not sure which year Airstream started installing the MaxxFan, probably same year they switched to the 3500 Sprinter van.

I just with they had mounted it a bit farther back to act as a better vent for the Galley area.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:38 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I just with they had mounted it a bit farther back to act as a better vent for the Galley area.
I don't. With the lounge/wardrobe layout, the galley is farther forward, and the vent is perfectly positioned to be directly over my head while I'm using the stove.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I installed the MaxxAir II on the front vent because it has the most grill vent area, and the regular MaxxAir on the back vent because of width restrictions between the two solar panels. They both work well, the vent lid does not open entirely but plenty. Fantastic Fan makes a vent cover that does allow full opening of the vent lid, but has a smaller grill opening than MaxxAir II.

Several color options on the MaxxAir, we choose the grayish-silver to be somewhat like the trailer, but more importantly to shade much of that bright light directly over the bed.
+1 for the Maxx Air vent COVER; we have one in black and one in white ... great product!
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Houston , Texas
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefly2 View Post
+1 for the Maxx Air vent COVER; we have one in black and one in white ... great product!
I second that! The Maxxair cover fits perfectly and allows us to keep the fan cover open all the time. Great product.
mything2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

2010 23' Flying Cloud
Marco Island , Florida
Suggest you take a look at the Fantastic Vent options
ULTRA BREEZE
VENT COVER
FEATURES
• Up to 75% more airflow than the competition
• Fit Over Most 14" x 14" Roof Vent and High-Powered
Ventilators, Including ALL Fan-Tastic Vent Fans
• Available in Black, White, and Smoke
• Made of High Density Polyethylene with UV Protection or
transparent CAB
• Optional Bug Screen Available
• 3-Year Limited Warranty
• Hardware Included
Sunstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Link to similar thread with YouTube video of Ultra Breeze:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...ml#post1498930
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:34 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Link to similar thread with YouTube video of Ultra Breeze:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f455...ml#post1498930
Thanks for this... I figured there was Fantastic information buried in this forum somewhere, but the trick is finding the thread(s).

The vid contains a good demo. The reduction in air flow associated with the non-Fantastic manufacturers doesn't concern me so much, but I wonder about the effects of placing an incremental load on the fan motor as it works harder to push air.

That fan is not my favorite product, and I bet that the alternative product installed in the newer 3500's is better, but right now our existing Fantastic falls into the category of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it - just put a rain shield on it".

And also there will be times when I want optimized passive ventilation (already learned that by boondocking), which a more space-restrictive cover might not allow. So a taller cover might be a better option from that standpoint.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I doubt it makes a nickel's worth of difference about air-flow from one brand to another. We use the model and color we think looks best on our particular camper.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:57 AM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
And also there will be times when I want optimized passive ventilation (already learned that by boondocking), which a more space-restrictive cover might not allow. So a taller cover might be a better option from that standpoint.
I leave my MaxxFan open pretty much all the time, even when I'm storing the Interstate in the parking lot at home. The interior will be slightly warmer than the outside air, but not by much. The open vent allows heat to escape nicely even with the fan not running.

But the converse is another thing I like about the MaxxFan. If all you want to do is circulate the air, you can run the fan at slow speed with the vent closed and use it like a miniature ceiling fan. I do that sometimes when I'm running the furnace. Ceiling fan mode does work better with the screen removed, though.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Check the installation videos for the Maxxair II and the Ultrabreeze before you buy. I went with Maxxair II because I preferred their method of installation.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote