Old 12-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Nancy, Hubby has skills. Can't wait to see it done.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreaminGuy View Post
I've never heard the term barnominium before but I like it. I guess that is basically what I built several years ago.

Thanks, G
A lesser-known variant still in its infancy is "garage-ominium", where the garage is optimized at the expense of the house.

We were pushing in this direction when we custom-built our home 5 years ago. Given that we are located in the suburbs, we were limited by deed restrictions in what we were able to achieve, but we did manage to eke out a house that combines 2,000 SF of living space with 500 SF of dedicated offices plus 840 SF of attached garage, with another 150 SF of un-enclosed paved work area outdoors.

In other words, about 40% of what we constructed on slab is not actually "house". The average Houston tract home still abides by the out-dated single-use paradigm and boasts only about 12% of on-slab improvements as consisting of "other than house".

If we ever do it over again, we will put at least 1,250 SF into the garage because the one we have now is waaay too small (unfortunately, we were not thinking "future Class B RV" when we built it).

And our house is actually bigger than it needs to be. We are either working on DIY projects, traveling, or sitting our butts in front of the TV to rest and recuperate from the first two activities. One does not require much house square footage for butt-sitting.

Old 12-22-2014, 04:08 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Thanks everyone, for your humorous and nice comments! I'll keep y'all posted. We just closed escrow on the lot this week. I'm guessing it'll be a few months before we start construction.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
That appears to be a CA analog to what we in TX refer to as a "barnominium" (or "barndominium" depending on the defining authority).

A barnominium is any structure that combines a living area with a "barn" to be used for a variety of other purposes (sales stock, livestock, heavy farm equipment, RV storage, etc.). Unlike a traditional house-and-attached-garage arrangement, the barnominium is defined by its paradigm reversal - functional optimization of the barn portion rather than the living quarters portion.

That's the magic word that my husband sometimes uses to entice me into considering purchase of a piece of property outside the Houston metro area. "We could build a barnominium for the Interstate," he says. I have to admit, it's an interesting possibility.
Brilliant! I'm taking that Texas term - I've borrowed other from my Texas cousins over the years - up to Michigan!

A good piece of property for our "Barndominium" is exactly what I'll point out to my wife...over and over!
Old 12-23-2014, 01:41 AM   #19
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
San Diego is my favorite city in the entire world. Please continue to keep us updated on this project. I get to that area frequently to see my son who has a business in Carlsbad. So I will be keeping track of your project. Maybe I will be there sometime to see how it is going.

Ken
Old 12-23-2014, 07:29 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
A lesser-known variant still in its infancy is "garage-ominium", where the garage is optimized at the expense of the house.
Quote:

We were pushing in this direction when we custom-built our home 5 years ago. Given that we are located in the suburbs, we were limited by deed restrictions in what we were able to achieve, but we did manage to eke out a house that combines 2,000 SF of living space with 500 SF of dedicated offices plus 840 SF of attached garage, with another 150 SF of un-enclosed paved work area outdoors.

In other words, about 40% of what we constructed on slab is not actually "house". The average Houston tract home still abides by the out-dated single-use paradigm and boasts only about 12% of on-slab improvements as consisting of "other than house".

If we ever do it over again, we will put at least 1,250 SF into the garage because the one we have now is way too small (unfortunately, we were not thinking "future Class B RV" when we built it).

And our house is actually bigger than it needs to be. We are either working on DIY projects, traveling, or sitting our butts in front of the TV to rest and recuperate from the first two activities. One does not require much house square footage for butt-sitting.

"I like the way you talk"...I've made my share of bad decisions in my life but back in 2002, I took an existing house plan, modified it, added on another section. We custom-built a house that met most of my somewhat odd list of criteria. At the time, prior to economy issues, I was in better financial shape and had numerous old cars. We ended up with the following:
-1773 sf living space (we only use about 1000 of it)
-572 sf completely self-contained in-law-suite
-2345 total sf
-seven car basement garage (5 car section is climate controlled, sheet rocked)
-the other separated two car section has 10 foot tall doors for storing camper in, it doesn't have to be winterized. (underground, insulated, sheet rocked, no HVAC, no colder than 58 in winter)
-person currently using the in-law-suite has independent access to parking in one side garage, going up stairs without going outside. The five car and two car garages are connected but steel door between.
-built a separate barn in 2006 out of custom rough cut knotty white pine, 32x40, 26 foot tall, 12 foot ceilings (first floor), 14 ft ceiling second floor, 2x6 walls, R19 insulation, house wrap, built a bar, sitting area, restored mom's woodstove, A/C. We can return from camping, hit door opener, pull T/V and Airstream inside, close door, hook up camper, no need to unload fridge, winterize, etc. Our crazy dream is to finish out the upstairs of barn in some antiques and move up there. It has great sun exposure to go full solar powered. The only thing I haven't figured out is how to rent out our house to someone that won't tear it up. One idea is to rent to someone who is semi full time RVing. They would have garage storage to store their vehicles etc. I would be maintaining the yard and property, it would be secure...and room could be made for additional camper parking on site.
All in all, the garages park 7 cars in the house garages, an additional 5 inside the barn, and there are another 1728 sf of overhangs around the barn that you can park another 7 cars around....12 cars inside, 19 total cars under cover. We could easily live in the barn and have sufficient living and garage space. In fact, we originally bought a 2nd piece of property next door and tried to construct the barn there but it is zoned lake residential and we could get it approved. I had to smooze the zoning guy & neighbors just to build it in our back yard.

I say all of this in simply endorsing the "smaller home, bigger garage theory". It can be done to suit both husband and wife. I've had numerous plans I've come up with over the years for a structure that would house the Airstream and basically use the outside of the Airstream but inside the enclosed structure as your living room etc...having a small kitchenette in there, a mandatory separate bath/shower. You could live in the basement of a structure like this until you finished the upstairs. Finished space is where a large part of the expense is on building a house. At one point, we were going to build this barn (looks like a house) on a sloping lake lot, 12 foot ceilings in basements, large floor to ceiling glass panes looking out from basement to lake. Eventually finish out the upstairs.

Sorry for the long rant. Bottom line, big garages, small houses rock!Thanks, g

As someone said I think on this or another forum:
"I don't always tow a travel trailer, but when I do, I tow an Airstream or an Apache or a Coleman"...stay thirsty my friends.
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:48 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
In 1998 we moved to southeast Missouri for a job promotion. We hooked up with a Realtor who asked what we were looking for. I replied, "A large garage with a small attached house." She thought I was kidding. It soon became clear I was very serious.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:29 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
In 1998 we moved to southeast Missouri for a job promotion. We hooked up with a Realtor who asked what we were looking for. I replied, "A large garage with a small attached house." She thought I was kidding. It soon became clear I was very serious.
Ha! There's more of us out there! When we built our first house in 1991, we had been out looking at other subdivisions being built. On the way home we stopped by one for an unscheduled visit. I walked into the model home...one of the builders and a homeowner from the neighborhood were having an adult refreshment. The builder asked asked if they could help me, I said, I'm looking for a house that I can park at least 4 cars in the basement garage....he replied, what else are you looking for? I said, we're flexible on the rest. The builder drove my wife and I down the street to a house in the neighborhood they had just finished but the people hadn't closed on it. Minutes later, we walked in the the basement, it was dark, he asked us to wait by the door while he turned on the lights across the basement. He had told us the price of this home on the ride down and that he could sell 6 houses without involving the selling realtor as per his agreement (no commission). When he turned on the lights, we saw a nice 5 car basement garage, 3 cars deep on one side, two cars deep on the other, poured concrete walls etc....only a 1550 sf house. Before we went up stairs...and less than 5 or 6 minutes after we had first met him, I told him, "if the upstairs looks as good as the downstairs, you just sold yourself a house". We wrote him a check that night for a small amount, made numerous changes to the house before construction. This was in December of 1990, he advised they did not pour concrete in the winter months, in April of 1991, the house was finished. It was a great house, a friend rented it from us for years after we moved, then purchased it, we still go over there a good bit to visit her.

G

As someone said I think on this or another forum:
"I don't always tow a travel trailer, but when I do, I tow an Airstream or an Apache or a Coleman"...stay thirsty my friends.
StreaminGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Quote:

If we ever do it over again, we will put at least 1,250 SF into the garage because the one we have now is waaay too small (unfortunately, we were not thinking "future Class B RV" when we built it).

I recently moved from League City to a custom built home in Clear Lake Shores (TX). Though we did not own the AS at the time, I designed the garage to accomodate a sailboat on a trailer that required a 9 ft garage door. "Stilt" house sits above a 1000+ SF enclosed garage which contains a large shop area, full bath (stall shower), and space to park a boat, the Airstream and a golf cart. I did have the foresight to include a 30 amp outlet and sewer connection in the garage. Wish I had made the garage door 10 ft high...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FrontViewR.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	229091  
Old 12-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Cumming , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BambiTex View Post
I recently moved from League City to a custom built home in Clear Lake Shores (TX). Though we did not own the AS at the time, I designed the garage to accomodate a sailboat on a trailer that required a 9 ft garage door. "Stilt" house sits above a 1000+ SF enclosed garage which contains a large shop area, full bath (stall shower), and space to park a boat, the Airstream and a golf cart. I did have the foresight to include a 30 amp outlet and sewer connection in the garage. Wish I had made the garage door 10 ft high...
Wow! That sounds like a cool place. I'd love to see more pics of it if you didn't care to share. You can PM them or PM me for my email. If not, I understand. Good looking Airstream, did you polish it yourself?

G
Old 12-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Will PM you. Paid to have it polished (along with LP tanks). Did all the interior work myself (flooring, countertop, appliances, plumbing, wiring, etc). It is for sale on the Classifieds. Need something slightly bigger.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Garage

A few pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0891.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	229092   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0752R.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	229.7 KB
ID:	229093  

Name:	DSC_0880.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	304.2 KB
ID:	229094  
Old 12-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I love hearing all these stories about barndominiums!! And I'm envious of all the space some of you have.

I wish our new project was more barndominium like (huge garage, small house). But the parking area for the space shuttle and other motorized vehicles, will be quite small. We are just so happy we found a place to park the rv, and where we can build a cool house. It's almost impossible to find an affordable empty lot in the city.

Since it's a commercial zoned lot, we aren't allowed to put parking on the front of the lot. In fact, there's currently a curb cut that we're required to close up and rebuild the sidewalk and curb.

The parking is accessed through the alley in the back. We are 97% sure that we can pull the rv into the alley, and then back it into the parking space/garage/carport (whatever it ends up being). The property across the narrow alley is set back, giving us room to pull in, angle into their property and back in. And by "us" I mean, the husband.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 01:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
What he said.
I'm good with an RV garage, 5 car garage, and 800 square feet of house-

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote