Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2015, 11:52 AM   #61
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Hilden , NRW
Hello Weirdstuff
smog check if you need, you can ask Volkswagen, in that they are professiona l
german6563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:20 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by german6563 View Post
Hello Weirdstuff
smog check if you need, you can ask Volkswagen, in that they are professiona l
haha!!! I'm sure they could help me out!!!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:35 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Update:

On Friday, I spent a while at DMV to pay $50 for an extension on my registration. That got me a 60 day extension while I work out this smog b.s.

I submitted the requested paperwork via email to the Smog Ref. Paperwork included invoice from Mercedes which detailed the tests and checks they did on my AI, which showed that all systems are working per Mercedes specifications.

Yesterday the Smog Ref calls. They will not give me an appointment until Mercedes runs more tests. They require Mercedes dealer to run drive cycle tests, and to contact manufacturer to see if there's anything else they can do, and to check for any recalls/service bulletins. Then the dealer must document these things and send me the paperwork, which I will then submit to the Smog Ref to try to get an appointment.

EDIT: Just got email from dealer. They said there's nothing they can do...that we have already taken vehicle through drive cycle by actually driving it, that there are no service bulletins on the vehicle, and that contacting the manufacturer will take at least a week and they'll probably just tell us to drive it more. insert EXPLETIVE here!!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Sounds like you are stuck between two rocks; DMV and dealer. I'm surprise the dealer hasn't had this issue with other customers. Can you request the dealer to contact the Mercedes factory representative so you can have a face to face meeting? If their vehicles can't complete smog tests can a lemon law be invoked?

You can always go rogue and drive it unregistered or will you end up in Folsom?

Kelvin
Old 11-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Thanks for the update.

Sounds like its time for another pollute-gate cruise around beautiful San Diego.

And now that you have a 60-day extension, you might try to do the Mercedes Drive Cycle reset yourself (a couple of times if needed)...

Or check out how other Sprinter owners managed to reset their monitors and pass the smog test!

Good luck!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Sounds like you are stuck between two rocks; DMV and dealer. I'm surprise the dealer hasn't had this issue with other customers. Can you request the dealer to contact the Mercedes factory representative so you can have a face to face meeting? If their vehicles can't complete smog tests can a lemon law be invoked?

You can always go rogue and drive it unregistered or will you end up in Folsom?

Kelvin
The dealer has had other customers with the same problem. But, they claim that the others have been told to drive 200 miles, and that none of them have come back to complain that that didn't work.

I'm gonna look up the lemon law. Not sure what the criteria for that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Thanks for the update.

Sounds like its time for another pollute-gate cruise around beautiful San Diego.

And now that you have a 60-day extension, you might try to do the Mercedes Drive Cycle reset yourself (a couple of times if needed)...

Or check out how other Sprinter owners managed to reset their monitors and pass the smog test!

Good luck!
We are NOT gonna do another Pollute-Gate cruise!!

Thanks for that link. I've read through that before. Seems that a lot of those peeps have purchased and installed something called a GDE, or a a GDE tune. I don't really understand it, but I thought some of those people said that it's not legal to do in California. Confusing.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:17 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
B.S. I would just contact a lemon law attorney.

PM if you want the name of a good one a friend used a couple years ago.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
B.S. I would just contact a lemon law attorney.

PM if you want the name of a good one a friend used a couple years ago.
I just looked up Lemon Law. Seems that only applies in the first 18 months and 18,000 miles of purchasing a new vehicle.

Ron, pm-ing you. It's worth calling your source.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:06 PM   #69
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Maybe it won't apply for lemon but maybe it will since it can't pass smog. Maybe it never did when new. Think about it. I can't imagine that MB would want bad publicity over this.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Maybe it won't apply for lemon but maybe it will since it can't pass smog. Maybe it never did when new. Think about it. I can't imagine that MB would want bad publicity over this.
Especially not after the Volkswagen debacle.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 04:59 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Yea, makes you wonder, doesn't it?

I have thought about calling the local news channel and local paper. I just keep thinking it'll be over soon and I'll have my smog test passed one way or other, and be on my way.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #72
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Had appointment with the Smog Ref today. We passed with only 2 monitors not complete. Our original failed test showed 3 monitors not complete.

Smog Ref said this is a known problem with Mercedes diesels. i.e., that Mercedes is aware that their monitors have a hard time completing, and they haven't come up with a fix yet.

Well, 2 more years, then we do this all over again. Fun, eh?
Old 11-10-2015, 06:39 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
We felt your pain but it made interesting reading!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #74
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
Congrats on cracking THE CODE
Old 11-10-2015, 07:41 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Thanks! I feel like I should get some kind of award 'cause I never used the F word with any of the peeps I had to deal with!
Old 11-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Thanks! I feel like I should get some kind of award 'cause I never used the F word with any of the peeps I had to deal with!
You should probably have told them to do something anatomically impossible while using the F word.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 10:44 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

:c lap:

And I bet you are so happy, you could dance and sing:

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:45 AM   #78
1 Rivet Member

2021 Atlas
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
This is an old thread, but in case it helps anyone, we just got through the drive cycle process on our Airstream Atlas. The Mercedes dealers we spoke to said that we needed to drive it about 50 miles, let it cool fully overnight, drive it another 50 miles and after a few days it would be reset. Not so much. It is easier than this post, but definitely not intuitive or fast. The first video I found said to do the following:
Lock the RV overnight, take the key inside the house out of range. In the morning, turn off the air conditioner, drive 35mph for 5 minutes, then 55 for 15 minutes, then 55-65 for 10-15 minutes, coast all the way to zero.
In the same trip, we also did this second method: Lock the RV overnight and take the key out of range. Turn on the engine, turn off the AC, with the transmission in park run 2 minutes 2000-2500 rpms, idle 6 minutes, then drive 43 mph for 3 minutes, increase speed to 48-54 mph for 3 minutes OR 5 mins @ 43 mph, 3 mins at 51 mph and roll to a stop. For $20 on Amazon you can buy this: "MOTOPOWER MP69033 Car OBD2 Scanner Code Reader Engine Fault Code Reader Scanner CAN Diagnostic Scan Tool for All OBD II. It will show you as you clear each test. We wasted a LOT of gas trying the 50 miles a day method.
Jpetrovich is offline   Reply With Quote