Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2015, 07:30 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
SilverGate...yes, that is exactly the result we got at the smog station..."OBDII monitors not ready!"

Today I talked to the Smog Referee, who told me we don't even need to be smogged yet.

Then I called DMV to make sure. DMV told me I DO have to be smogged, and that I have to be smogged every 2 years.

Tomorrow, I'll call Smog Ref back and see if I can get this taken care of without having to pay a dealer to do the Drive Cycle Procedure, like you had to do.

Does California not think there's something wrong when you have to have a "Referee" to oversee smog test problems????
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 10:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
SilverGate...yes, that is exactly the result we got at the smog station..."OBDII monitors not ready!"

Today I talked to the Smog Referee, who told me we don't even need to be smogged yet.

Then I called DMV to make sure. DMV told me I DO have to be smogged, and that I have to be smogged every 2 years.

Tomorrow, I'll call Smog Ref back and see if I can get this taken care of without having to pay a dealer to do the Drive Cycle Procedure, like you had to do.

Does California not think there's something wrong when you have to have a "Referee" to oversee smog test problems????
Thanks for the update... this does appear to be getting weirder! Looking forward to your next installment of this saga!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
The state of California is f'd up.

I talked to the smog referee. They can only help me if only one monitor was "not ready." Unfortunately, three of ours were "not ready."

I guess I'll have to call the dealer and see if they can run the vehicle through the Drive Cycle Procedure.

This is going to be the most time consuming and expensive smog test in the history of the world. OK, I exaggerate. But it feels that way.

EDIT: Boo. Dealer doesn't have ability to put on the dyno thingy and do the procedure. So, we'll be out driving and polluting for 200 miles or so, for no other reason than to pass the dang smog test.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
What I learned: When we take our Toyota for its next Smog Check, I will drive it that day in varying traffic conditions including freeway and city just before pulling into the smog check station. If the test is unable to be completed with monitors showing "Not Ready", I will then take our Toyota's service history and the smog station paperwork to a California State Referee Program Center, which provides "assistance to consumers whose vehicles have OBD II [Emission Control Systems] related issues."
See my last post. Apparently, the referee will only help you if ONLY 1 monitor reads not ready. More than 1, and you're screwed, and will back at Toyota for another $330 drive cycle.
Old 10-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
How aggravating.

I can't wait until I get to go through that
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 01:08 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
So sorry you're having to deal with all this.. I'm so glad I don't live in that state anymore.. What a pain in the in the rear!!
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:03 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
While researching on line, I found this blog where this guy explains his smog nightmare (same nightmare as I'm in). Interesting to read his post and to read many of the comments below the blog entry.

Stuck In California’s Smog Check Hell | WorkingReporter – Ron Olsen on the web

Also, I googled "Mercedes drive cycle" and this is what is required in order to get your monitors ready (see attachment). Not sure if this pertains to our exact model, but, it'll give you an idea of the absurdity. (note #17...."Repeat the cycle")

I also just called the office of our state Senator, Marty Block, to complain. First time I've ever called the government for anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mercedes drive cycle.png
Views:	117
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	250461  
Old 10-15-2015, 02:04 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:

I have been driving in CA since 2000 and I have never heard of a Smog Referee. But then I have never had a vehicle not pass either. My first car was a 1991 Acura Legend and now I drive a 2003 F150.
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:06 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
In all fairness, I must say, that it's not just Mercedes that are having this problem. This is NOT about our vehicles. It's about the absurd testing mechanism that California is using. It's causing the same problem in all kinds of vehicles.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
While researching on line, I found this blog where this guy explains his smog nightmare (same nightmare as I'm in). Interesting to read his post and to read many of the comments below the blog entry.

Stuck In California’s Smog Check Hell | WorkingReporter – Ron Olsen on the web

Also, I googled "Mercedes drive cycle" and this is what is required in order to get your monitors ready (see attachment). Not sure if this pertains to our exact model, but, it'll give you an idea of the absurdity. (note #17...."Repeat the cycle")

I also just called the office of our state Senator, Marty Block, to complain. First time I've ever called the government for anything.
re: "Mercedes drive cycle" Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!!! Seriously, Why? All I have ever done is drive my car in and had it tested and it passed and I got the certificate and drove away. What is wrong with this car?
Old 10-15-2015, 02:09 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by PammieSue View Post
I have been driving in CA since 2000 and I have never heard of a Smog Referee. But then I have never had a vehicle not pass either. My first car was a 1991 Acura Legend and now I drive a 2003 F150.
I've never heard of it either. Not sure if it's a new thing they've created due to all the new problems or what.

I've never had a car not pass either. But remember, this isn't a problem with the vehicles...it's a computer issue. I'm reading on line, people with all different cars, new and old, that are having the same problem.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:12 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Quote:
I've never heard of it either. Not sure if it's a new thing they've created due to all the new problems or what.

I've never had a car not pass either. But remember, this isn't a problem with the vehicles...it's a computer issue. I'm reading on line, people with all different cars, new and old, that are having the same problem.
This is news to me, first I have ever heard of it. It hasn't happened to any of my friends. Is this only in CA?
Old 10-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
re: "Mercedes drive cycle" Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!!! Seriously, Why? All I have ever done is drive my car in and had it tested and it passed and I got the certificate and drove away. What is wrong with this car?
I know!!!

Computer issue. Not a car issue. Not a pollution issue. Nothing needs to be fixed on the vehicle. This is NOT about our AI's. Nothing wrong with our vehicles.

Mercedes Sprinter service, AND the smog check guy keep telling me, "you have to take it through it's drive cycle/drive 200 miles/ etc., to get the monitors ready."
Old 10-15-2015, 02:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
This is news to me, first I have ever heard of it. It hasn't happened to any of my friends. Is this only in CA?
My understanding is that it's a California thing...because of our smog control rules, I guess. And that they don't test the vehicles like they used to...now it's all done with visual inspection and this dreaded computer program.
Old 10-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Glad I left California 30 years ago.

So what happens if you can never pass the smog test. It doesn't sound like anything can be repaired.

Guess all the smog stations will have to spend thousand of dollars to get dynamometer equipment installed to run these drive cycles.

Kelvin
Old 10-15-2015, 03:13 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Glad I left California 30 years ago.

So what happens if you can never pass the smog test. It doesn't sound like anything can be repaired.

Guess all the smog stations will have to spend thousand of dollars to get dynamometer equipment installed to run these drive cycles.

Kelvin
I'm wondering the same thing...what if we can't get it passed? There is nothing that needs repairing. Will we have to move out of CA?

We're gonna dedicate a day next week to take the thing out, drive it a bunch of miles, and try again. After that, I'm not sure.

That blog link I posted, in the comments section, there are several people who wrote to say that they're driving around without registration stickers because they can't pass smog test for the same reason.
Old 10-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
In the 1960's right after CARB was created, Hot Rod, Car Craft and Pop Hot Rod built small block Chevies with speed equipment that aced the smog check tests. CARB then changed the rules with visual checks. I ended up selling 2 cars in Tiajuana as I couldn't pass the visual test even though I passed the tail pipe test. Saw a blog recently claiming that cost of current emissions equipment has reached the point of diminishing returns. FYI, the CHP cars that lead Moonbeam's entourage are exempt from smog checks!
Old 10-15-2015, 04:20 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
more research...if you have had your battery replaced, or have at some point disconnected your battery, then all of these monitors have to run through some cycle to be complete.

we had our battery replaced, and since then, we've driven 1,000 miles. well, you'd think that'd be enough??!!
Old 10-15-2015, 10:58 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Dedicating outings to pass smog test

Quote:
...what if we can't get it passed? There is nothing that needs repairing. Will we have to move out of CA?

We're gonna dedicate a day next week to take the thing out, drive it a bunch of miles, and try again. After that, I'm not sure...
And remember what you read, it's not just how many miles you drive, but the varying conditions (AC/defroster on & then off) and speed (everything from freeway to local streets to bumper to bumper traffic, full stops, etc.)

So on our dedicated "take the car for a drive day," we took soda and a cooler, and drove south on freeways I-15 and I-805 to just before the border and then local streets (Palm Ave.)with traffic lights to State Route 75 and then a pleasant drive north, up the Silver Strand into Coronado and across the Coronado Bridge, then back onto the freeways for points to the north until we accumulated 330 miles.

To increase the odds for a successful completion of the smog test, I would do this trip early enough in the day to be able to bring the vehicle right in to the smog testing center upon finishing your drive, rather than bringing it back the next morning from a cold start!

Good luck and please keep us posted!
SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 10:15 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
SilverGate....yes, we'll be sure to do all of that crazy stuff while we drive.

By the way, on your 330 mile journey, did you drive continuously, or did you ever actually stop and turn the car off?

Mercedes told me to stop a few times and turn car off. But others say NO, do NOT turn vehicle off.

I've dubbed this situation "Pollute-Gate."