Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2016, 06:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
When was the 50 watt solar panel upgraded to 100 W

We have a 214.5 model AI. Not sure which solar panel we have. Either way, it has not been an issue for us as we don't usually park without shore power. We have boondocked for three days without a problem by using the gen set twice a day for a couple of hours, and the unit is stored plugged in. Just curious as to when the solar upgrade was made.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
If you need to use the genset twice per day for a couple of hours when you boondock then something is not working properly with your solar setup. I'd check with your dealer or find a qualified RV solar person to look at your setup.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
When was the 50 watt solar panel upgraded to 100 W

On a sunny day under full sun, a 50 watt panel should give you up to 3 amps as displayed on the solar display. A100 watt panel will give you maybe 5 amps.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
In my part of the country, E Tenn, my 50 watt panel max'd out at 2.6amps. I replaced it a 100 watt panel that hits 5.6 amps. No battery issues in storage yet.....except that the shunt controller it came with (Atkinson) makes the battery drain down before it will kick in to charge. Not a problem if I have several days of sun, but if I get a string of rainy days it will struggle. In process of adding a new controller and 2 more panels......and changing batteries.
Old 05-07-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
In my part of the country, E Tenn, my 50 watt panel max'd out at 2.6amps. I replaced it a 100 watt panel that hits 5.6 amps. No battery issues in storage yet.....except that the shunt controller it came with (Atkinson) makes the battery drain down before it will kick in to charge. Not a problem if I have several days of sun, but if I get a string of rainy days it will struggle. In process of adding a new controller and 2 more panels......and changing batteries.
The standard controller is designed to kick in at 12.3 volts or thereabouts, and this shows on the display as 80%. I suspect they may all have this behaviour.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Busb2 you have the 50W solar panel. 2015 was the 1st for 100W.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:38 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
If you need to use the genset twice per day for a couple of hours when you boondock then something is not working properly with your solar setup. I'd check with your dealer or find a qualified RV solar person to look at your setup.
Actually, that's about typical for a stock Airstream Interstate that hasn't received an aftermarket solar upgrade.

Airstream Interstates have a lot of energy hogs on board that will suck down the house batteries. MILATV (I think, but my memory might be faulty) did an empirical study of his usage while boondocking, and determined that his batteries would run down to a 50% charge state in about 18 hours while boondocking, not even a full day. The newer the Interstate, the more energy-using appliances are installed, and the shorter the time between recharges because the stock house battery bank is always two Group 24 batteries.

The two Group 24 house batteries only have a total 160 to 170 amp-hours, of which you can use 80-85 before hitting 50% discharge.

A stock 50w or 100w solar panel on an Interstate is not adequate to the task of replacing 80 amp-hours a day, so it's inevitable that you'd have to run the generator at least once a day.

And since the generator is electric-start and requires the house batteries retain enough power (cold cranking amps) to even start the generator, running the generator twice a day is actually a wise move, in my opinion. It ensures that the batteries never get too low to start the generator; which would end your boondocking trip entirely.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Actually, that's about typical for a stock Airstream Interstate that hasn't received an aftermarket solar upgrade.
Protagonist, that's pretty pathetic! What you've got is basically a trickle charger to top off the batteries while in storage.

I guess I'm spoiled with 540 watts on our roof (soon to be 740.) We hit 35 amps-in all the time (note I have a TT with a bit more real estate on the roof than have the Interstates.)
Old 05-08-2016, 07:28 AM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Protagonist, that's pretty pathetic! What you've got is basically a trickle charger to top off the batteries while in storage.
Exactly! And when I bought mine, that's really all I expected from the solar panel. But I didn't buy my Interstate for boondocking, and the lack of adequate solar capacity for boondocking didn't bother me.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
AnnArborBob, do you have any pics of your install? What brand and model panels did you use? I would like to install something similar. I am concerned that too many panels will look odd.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
To UKDUDE...the shunt controller will not take a battery to full charge. It reaches a set point and shuts down, whereas the PWM and MPPT controllers will not stop charging until the battery is full....as long as there is sun available. I am sure the LEWSTER can provide a more accurate and detailed response...he is the master in this subject.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The Atkinson controller should go the way of the Parallax converters supplied in the trailers........ THE GARBAGE BIN!!!!!!

I simple swap out to a Morningstar 10 or 15 amp basic solar charge controller will greatly improve your system's performance and WILL provide for proper 3-stage battery charging.

It's really a no brainier!!!! You can even add Morningstar's remote monitor if you like.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center*AMS Lithium Batteries
Lifeline AGM Batteries**Magnum Inverters***Victron Energy Components
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
To UKDUDE...the shunt controller will not take a battery to full charge. It reaches a set point and shuts down, whereas the PWM and MPPT controllers will not stop charging until the battery is full....as long as there is sun available. I am sure the LEWSTER can provide a more accurate and detailed response...he is the master in this subject.

Yes, I fully agree with you and Lew that the Atkinson/Sunexplorer controller is less than perfect, but better than nothing for us boondockers. Mine will take the charge up to about 95% before shutting down which is definitely not optimal practice to maintain the batteries. A 3 stage controller is best.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
AnnArborBob, do you have any pics of your install? What brand and model panels did you use? I would like to install something similar. I am concerned that too many panels will look odd.
Here are two pictures of our current installation. We will be getting two additional panels in another week or so. They are Grape Solar panels provided by AM Solar. (BTW, these were installed by LEWSTER.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2281.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	262139   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4962.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	448.3 KB
ID:	262140  

Old 05-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Battery Drain Source

Ive noticed that my rear TV , plugged into receptacle just above TV, remains powered up, red light on bottom of tv is lit, even with the main battery switch off.. I have to unplug when not using. Everything is off, including engine..Could this be a drain on battery, also is this normal?? May be something to check for battery drain..
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:49 PM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
Ive noticed that my rear TV , plugged into receptacle just above TV, remains powered up, red light on bottom of tv is lit, even with the main battery switch off.. I have to unplug when not using. Everything is off, including engine..Could this be a drain on battery, also is this normal?? May be something to check for battery drain..
On many Airstreams, the inverter is wired in parallel to the main disconnect, meaning the disconnect does not shut off the inverter. The inverter would need to be shut off separately.

Or you could switch off the breakers. But since the inverter also draws some power even when no circuits are energized, shutting off the inverter is better.

A television that has a wireless remote must draw some power even when turned off, otherwise the remote wouldn't work to turn on the television. So yes, it would be a parasitic drain.
Old 05-08-2016, 01:46 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post

From the Magnum RC panel, press and hold the on/off button. It will turn off the inverter and the TV will be powered down. This removes a significant parasitic power draw. The inverter will still be consuming. ~400 mA when off.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:43 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ur-136062.html
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #19
Tampatomgirl

1990 34' Excella
Zephyrhills , Florida
I would like to install solar panels on my 34'. Can anyone tell me how many it would require to be fully operational with two rooftop A/Cs? I'm not interested in pro installation. I can do it myself. Just having trouble figuring out all the calculations on the websites. Can't be that complicated. I have roughly 225 sq ft of interior space & all the usual appliances. Any help would be appreciated 🌺
Tampatomgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampatomgirl View Post
I would like to install solar panels on my 34'. Can anyone tell me how many it would require to be fully operational with two rooftop A/Cs? I'm not interested in pro installation. I can do it myself. Just having trouble figuring out all the calculations on the websites. Can't be that complicated. I have roughly 225 sq ft of interior space & all the usual appliances. Any help would be appreciated 🌺
Your question is a bit off the topic of this post so you may want to start your own post and re-ask this question. But to cut to the chase, if you intend to run your two AC's off the solar panels, forget it. There isn't enough room on your roof for the amount of solar panels you would need.