Old 09-26-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
What's the Interstate like to actually drive?

I ask the question because as much as my wife and I enjoy the comfort and room of a travel trailer, it's also appealing to think of being able to travel without the inconveniences of hooking up and hauling one around. As time goes on and we gracefully age further, I suspect that appeal may increase.

There are lots of threads here about the Interstate's features and issues but aside from a post here and there I couldn't find much about the actual driving experience. What's it like to drive a 4 1/2 ton vehicle that's motivated by 188 HP? My truck and trailer together weigh around 8 tons but my F250's 6.7L turbo diesel has the horsepower and torque to move things along quite well when necessary.

I really want to like the Interstate and at some point I'll just have to try one out, but it's difficult to get a feel for real world performance during a 20 minute test drive. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who'd like to share their thoughts on the subject so that I can either stop thinking about this as an option or move on to the next stage of planning for a future acquisition!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

2018 30' Classic Twin (sold)
2020 25' Globetrotter Twin (here!)
2017 F250 4x4 6.7 max tow Platinum
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Like a big SUV. I actually feel safer and more comfortable in my Interstate than I do my car on long trips.

Old 09-26-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinca View Post
I ask the question because as much as my wife and I enjoy the comfort and room of a travel trailer, it's also appealing to think of being able to travel without the inconveniences of hooking up and hauling one around. As time goes on and we gracefully age further, I suspect that appeal may increase.

There are lots of threads here about the Interstate's features and issues but aside from a post here and there I couldn't find much about the actual driving experience. What's it like to drive a 4 1/2 ton vehicle that's motivated by 188 HP? My truck and trailer together weigh around 8 tons but my F250's 6.7L turbo diesel has the horsepower and torque to move things along quite well when necessary.

I really want to like the Interstate and at some point I'll just have to try one out, but it's difficult to get a feel for real world performance during a 20 minute test drive. I'd appreciate feedback from anyone who'd like to share their thoughts on the subject so that I can either stop thinking about this as an option or move on to the next stage of planning for a future acquisition!

Ahhhhh

“LIKE A BIG S U V”

That’s it.

Why wait?

Just go drive one for a 30 mile loop in mixed traffic of highway, rural, city. And maybe a couple parking lots tossed in. If you’re trailering now, the Interstate should be an easy transition.

Trailers and Interstates each have their place.
**Previous AS Interstate's owned:
2014.5, 2015, 2016, 2017 (4x4), 2018 (4x4)
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ninety Six , South Carolina
Bought ours in January and have 8000 miles on her. It is awesome regarding power. The 1805 + HP does a marvelous job and returns 18-20 mpg. We pulled ourChevy Sonic and got 16 mpg, with no appreciable notice it was behind us. We stepped down from a 36 foot diesel pusher, and would never go back! Just love it.
428303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:38 PM   #5
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
What's it like to drive a 4 1/2 ton vehicle that's motivated by 188 HP? My truck and trailer together weigh around 8 tons but my F250's 6.7L turbo diesel has the horsepower and torque to move things along quite well when necessary.
MIKEINCA - if performance will weight a lot in your decision, you would be disappointed if the comparable is the F-class 6.7L turbo diesel. There are not many options that can keep up, especially if talking steep extended hill climbs. But if you are willing to accept realities (like semis do or big Class A's do) and I assume you will be as you age (I know I did), then the AI is a lot more than just adequate to do the job. I have climbed Cajon Pass and the Grapevine fully loaded at 55-60mph. I was definitely not the slowest rig on the climb. By comparison, my Ford E150 Econoline van conversion with extended roof w/ 5.0L can do that climb at 85 or even 95 if I was brave enough to do it. Reset your steep hillclimbs (>6%) expectation a little. Easier, moderate hills (<4%) are a breeze. Flats (<2%) you won't be able to tell. Just don't try to drag race a Ford 6.7L turbo or a Dodge Cummins ISB or ISL. You will lose.

Comfort - absolutely fantastic for a such a heavy vehicle. I whip it around like any of my smaller cars, trucks, or minivan. I even parallel park in downtown areas, an experience I never thought I would do. The best part is how I impress my friends when I do this (the 1st time they get to see me do it).
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Since I sit up higher, I have a better view out the front - sort of like going from a sedan to an SUV. Not as much visibility out the back and sides, but the mirrors and backup camera are awesome. New units have other aides to help with visibility also. I have no issues driving it after the initial break-in period of me! I like driving it better than any other vehicles we own (4 if them).
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #7
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
I find the performance of our 2010 Interstate to be adequate - not peppy and certainly not sluggish. We had a 1999 Honda CR-V and the fully loaded Interstate seems every bit as fast (or slow depending on your perspective) as the Honda. I realize those are two entirely different vehicles so it's like apples and oranges but I bet the 0-60 times are similar.

We've never had a problem pulling onto the freeway. We are relatively conservative drivers so we don't change lanes without a bit of thought and we don't stop or start abruptly.

Overall the Interstate is MUCH, MUCH easier to drive compared to towing our 29' Classic. The Interstate can be driven like a car in many ways - it's easier to change lanes, not as many "tailgaters" as the trailer, easier in and out of a fuel station. Easier, easier, easier. Did I say easy? Danielle doesn't hesitate to drive the Interstate.

Now to the crux of the issue... When we tow our trailer I refer to that as "hub and spoke" travel. Sometimes we go day to day without disconnecting but mostly we stay a day or two in one place (the hub) and then go on day trips in the surrounding area (the spokes). The Interstate (we don't tow another vehicle) affords the ability to go from place to place to place - each day a new destination. Of course you can set up in one campground and stay a while buy why? Travel, travel, travel is the name of the game for us. Your needs/desires may be different.

I'll never forget the day we were in our previous Class B (Airstream B190) and I was concerned that we were stuck in traffic and would never make it back to the campground to get cleaned up and ready for a wedding we were attending. I was frazzled to the extreme. Danielle calmly looked over at me and said "we don't have to go back to the campground, everything we have is right here with us." Eureka! We pulled into a parking lot, turned on the generator, took a hot shower and put on our dress clothes for the wedding. 30 minutes later we were on the Metro headed to downtown Washington, DC. That's the beauty of Class B travel!
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:36 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 428303 View Post
Bought ours in January and have 8000 miles on her. It is awesome regarding power. The 1805 + HP does a marvelous job and returns 18-20 mpg. We pulled ourChevy Sonic and got 16 mpg, with no appreciable notice it was behind us. We stepped down from a 36 foot diesel pusher, and would never go back! Just love it.
With 1805 HP I bet it really does move along!

Seriously, though, some really good responses from everyone. My concern was that perhaps everyday driving tasks such as merging into traffic, climbing a moderate grade, or maintaining speed on the interstate might be a problem, or a least somewhat demoralizing. But from the feedback so far it sounds as if that isn't the case. More comments are welcome.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Old 09-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Overall the Interstate is MUCH, MUCH easier to drive compared to towing our 29' Classic. The Interstate can be driven like a car in many ways - it's easier to change lanes, not as many "tailgaters" as the trailer, easier in and out of a fuel station. Easier, easier, easier. Did I say easy? Danielle doesn't hesitate to drive the Interstate.

Now to the crux of the issue... When we tow our trailer I refer to that as "hub and spoke" travel. Sometimes we go day to day without disconnecting but mostly we stay a day or two in one place (the hub) and then go on day trips in the surrounding area (the spokes). The Interstate (we don't tow another vehicle) affords the ability to go from place to place to place - each day a new destination. Of course you can set up in one campground and stay a while buy why? Travel, travel, travel is the name of the game for us. Your needs/desires may be different.
I'm used to doing all of the driving (my wife won't drive the tow vehicle) but it would be nice to have her be willing to spell me on really long trips. If the Interstate drives more or less like a car or SUV then that could become an option.

We also like to do the "hub and spoke" thing. If the Interstate makes it that easy to move around then that's great. If it really can achieve 16-18 mpg then that's almost in the same ballpark as my unhitched F250.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Old 09-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #10

Quote:
With 1805 HP I bet it really does move along!

Seriously, though, some really good responses from everyone. My concern was that perhaps everyday driving tasks such as merging into traffic, climbing a moderate grade, or maintaining speed on the interstate might be a problem, or a least somewhat demoralizing. But from the feedback so far it sounds as if that isn't the case. More comments are welcome.
MIKEINCA forgot one important aspect, coz you mentioned "everyday driving tasks". That's not where the problem is. It's everyday parking attention - through the years, I have owned many eye-catching cars. BUT I have absolutely never gotten the attention I get whenever I pull into parking where people might see it a lot. I get asked, approached, complemented, praised even in gas stations. I never in my wildest dreams thought this would happen to me in a VAN. Had I known this when I was single . . . Do not buy the AI if you do not want to attract attention. You will get it, no matter what. Too much of attention grabbing from many nice folks, but as well as the rif-raf.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MIKEINCA - if performance will weight a lot in your decision, you would be disappointed if the comparable is the F-class 6.7L turbo diesel. There are not many options that can keep up, especially if talking steep extended hill climbs. But if you are willing to accept realities (like semis do or big Class A's do) and I assume you will be as you age (I know I did), then the AI is a lot more than just adequate to do the job. I have climbed Cajon Pass and the Grapevine fully loaded at 55-60mph. I was definitely not the slowest rig on the climb. By comparison, my Ford E150 Econoline van conversion with extended roof w/ 5.0L can do that climb at 85 or even 95 if I was brave enough to do it. Reset your steep hillclimbs (>6%) expectation a little. Easier, moderate hills (<4%) are a breeze. Flats (<2%) you won't be able to tell. Just don't try to drag race a Ford 6.7L turbo or a Dodge Cummins ISB or ISL. You will lose.

Comfort - absolutely fantastic for a such a heavy vehicle. I whip it around like any of my smaller cars, trucks, or minivan. I even parallel park in downtown areas, an experience I never thought I would do. The best part is how I impress my friends when I do this (the 1st time they get to see me do it).
Good info. Thanks.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Old 09-26-2018, 08:59 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
MIKEINCA forgot one important aspect, coz you mentioned "everyday driving tasks". That's not where the problem is. It's everyday parking attention - through the years, I have owned many eye-catching cars. BUT I have absolutely never gotten the attention I get whenever I pull into parking where people might see it a lot. I get asked, approached, complemented, praised even in gas stations. I never in my wildest dreams thought this would happen to me in a VAN. Had I known this when I was single . . . Do not buy the AI if you do not want to attract attention. You will get it, no matter what. Too much of attention grabbing from many nice folks, but as well as the rif-raf.
That's interesting and good to know. To be honest, I've also had eye catching cars and even our 30' Airstream Classic gets a lot of attention, both wanted and unwanted, so I suppose we'll be prepared. I suppose that means that maybe I shouldn't let my wife take the rig out on her own should we get one!

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Old 09-26-2018, 09:14 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Bend , Oregon
[QUOTE=mikeinca;2161593]That's interesting and good to know. .....eye catching cars .....attention

The first three years I must have given complete strangers over 100 tours. Now instead I “describe” the interior, and share our ownership experience. When they ask if they can “peek inside?” I say “well, normally yes...but the baby is sleeping and we don’t want to wake her.”

Enjoy
**Previous AS Interstate's owned:
2014.5, 2015, 2016, 2017 (4x4), 2018 (4x4)
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #14
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Before even worrying about how it drives, you need to see if the reduction in space, coming from a trailer, is something you can get used to...

We did not know any better since I failed to look at trailers because my mind was set on not towing... a few months back we saw, and got into, a TB 19CB. Man... duct (super quiet) A/C, more space, beautiful trailer... to say that we were tempted to swap is an understatement...

And then we remember how great is to be able to not need to make stops to go to the restroom, grab drinks, make meals on the go, kids sleep or watch TV, do homework, ease of parking and driving everywhere... But if the family that was interested in my AI had jumped on buying it, we would have been on that 19" trailer right now...

Back to your original question... it drives nice. It is not a rocket but no slouch either... I have to keep reminding myself on the pivot point of the back wheels and how the back extends out, so I avoid taking out cars or posts near by , but that is just me getting used to it... We love how comfortable the seats are when doing super long drives...

But please do check space first...
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Before even worrying about how it drives, you need to see if the reduction in space, coming from a trailer, is something you can get used to...

We did not know any better since I failed to look at trailers because my mind was set on not towing... a few months back we saw, and got into, a TB 19CB. Man... duct (super quiet) A/C, more space, beautiful trailer... to say that we were tempted to swap is an understatement...

And then we remember how great is to be able to not need to make stops to go to the restroom, grab drinks, make meals on the go, kids sleep or watch TV, do homework, ease of parking and driving everywhere... But if the family that was interested in my AI had jumped on buying it, we would have been on that 19" trailer right now...

Back to your original question... it drives nice. It is not a rocket but no slouch either... I have to keep reminding myself on the pivot point of the back wheels and how the back extends out, so I avoid taking out cars or posts near by , but that is just me getting used to it... We love how comfortable the seats are when doing super long drives...

But please do check space first...
Thanks for the great feedback! The issue of space versus convenience is, of course, a big one with many positives and negatives on each side of the trailer versus B van question. With the kids long gone it's just the three of us (I include Sadie the Lab) so we think the van would be doable. I'm not sure if our Airstream dealer rents Interstates, but that might be an ideal way to test the hypothesis.

The space required to be comfortable at your destination is very important but for me having the right driving "tool" on the trip is at least as big a deal. If it is inadequate to the task or not enjoyable to use then the journey just becomes a slog and I stop having fun. But from what I'm reading here, it sounds like the AI has good on-road capability so that part shouldn't be a deal breaker. I know I'll have to find a way to try one for myself, but it's good to get input from others with experience.

― Neil deGrasse Tyson

Old 09-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
We downsized from a 345 Classic MH four years ago. When I emptied it, I realized how much was "just in case - squared"!. Even now with the AI, there are things we don't use, but I think we are to the right level of just in case....

What convinced me that there would be enough room for clothes, etc., was my experience traveling for weeks at a time via airplanes for business travel. For a period of 1.5 years, I lived out of a small sized suitcase without any issues while on business travel. The Interstate has way more room than that suitcase!

I do enjoy the mobility of the AI. We go camping much more than we did when we had our 345 and use it for day trips as well!
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 01:37 PM   #17
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I still have boxes of stuff in the garage that came out of my Classic 28 almost 2 years ago. Every once in a while, I take some items to a rally flea market or to the thrift store to benefit shelter pets. I really do not know when it will all be gone.

I have added a shelf at the rear of the AI, below the upper rear compartment. With this extra space, we have more than enough storage to spend weeks on the road. I'm fortunate to have the under-floor trunk that is missing in many AI models. That trunk holds a lot of what would otherwise be clutter such as hoses, compressor, leveling blocks, and such.

As far as driving, I am a lot less tired at the end of a day than I was driving a 3/4 ton Silverado diesel, pulling a 28' Classic. At age 85, everything is easier with the AI, vs. the trailer rig, including hooking up my smart tow car.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:30 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
My 2 cents

We have had our AI since March and have about 5k miles on it now. I saw someone recommend the 20 mile loop. I can tell you I wasn't real comfortable driving it early on. Some of it was just the expense of what I was driving around but other was the length. The width is awesome though. Now though I am very comfortable driving it. The safety features on the AI really help (side cameras that come on when turn signal is used. I really like the back camera that stays on the rest of the time and then of course the park assist on both front and back.

My biggest concern today is really just the clearance height when backing into/over a spot. The generator muffler is really low. Then the propane switch (we all need the Wachuko mod) and then if you get all those things cleared the generator is also pretty low.

From a performance perspective I have been very pleased with the acceleration getting onto the highways. I haven't towed anything with it and the hill climbs have been very minimal (Texas to Alabama driving).

Still working on getting the wife more comfortable (will drive on highways occasionally).

I agree with the others on the comfort of the seats. Would love AC seats and automatic adjustment of the seats. The front seat is a little too high for my wife to have her feet comfortable on the ground (she is 5'3").

Overall very happy with the AI and the overall experience with it (except the Fusion system).
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobbun View Post
My biggest concern today is really just the clearance height when backing into/over a spot. The generator muffler is really low. Then the propane switch (we all need the Wachuko mod) and then if you get all those things cleared the generator is also pretty low.
MIKEINCA - Perfect time to bring this up before you order your rig. As TOBBUN brought up concern over clearance height - a valid issue, so make sure you get the VB Rear Air Suspension to help mitigate a good portion of this concern and the benefit of giving your rig a much better rear ride and handling (if you will have rear passengers or pets in rear). Even if no rear passengers, it softens the house side such that it's components are not subjected to as much of a rough treatment.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Agree entirely about the attention it receives. Wife makes me help her make the bed every day - me from the back doors her inside - because we get so many people who want to take a look inside.

As far as power, it does much better than the semis on hills and better than most motorhomes and cars/trailers. Obviously you need a larger place to park, but I too have parallel parked it.

My back gets sore after a couple of hours in each of our sedans, but can drive the AI for hours without any issues. I go to a chiropractor every two weeks for a 'tune up' . He can find lots of places to 'adjust' after a road trip in a car, but not in the AI.

Titus is offline   Reply With Quote