Old 01-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
What you don't like about your Class B

Hey there,

I just posted the opposite question under the thread title, "What you like about your Class B". So now this question to help me in my Class B education.

What do you not like about your Class B? What doesn't work so well for you about this type of RV?

Thank you again for your musings!

Chris

Old 01-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
- Bathroom is too small
- Coach is longer than I want or need. At 24' it won't fit in a standard parking spot and that's caused me some issues when visiting crowded Nat'l parks
- Supplied Atkinson solar charge controller is inadequate (that's being kind...)

Old 01-20-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Without modification:

1. Insufficient battery storage. Need enough power to dry camp at least two nights without worry. As it is, it won't last one night with fridge+freezer running. I upgraded my system to Lithium and problem is solved.

2. Due to narrow aisle, it takes coordination with two people to pass each other.

3. Wish it did not require winterization at all. Then it would be like a "car" where you just took it anywhere. They went half way with tank heaters and such. Wish it was a complete plan.

4. Radio sound sucks. I upgraded the door speakers. That improved some but it is still pretty low-end sound.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
My perfect RV would would have the interior size of a Class A and the exterior size of a Toyota Corolla. But if I had to pick a single complaint it would be the fact that I can’t stand up straight in the van and am constantly hitting my head on stuff.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Let me see....

The "B" is fantastic, BUT..... it really makes you think about your needs and desires for traveling and camping.
The small storage capacity eliminates taking along much other than what you really want to USE...I emphasize the word USE. I have been guilty, many times, of taking those "just-in-case" or "I might want" or "we might need" and "wouldn't it be cool to" items on trips.

My wife and I have gotten quite good at the aisle-dance when we are both up and active inside the van. It also gave me more incentive to lose a few more pounds (25 since last August).

We love the fact that we can go most anywhere we could drive a car! That's the biggest plus in my book.

The diesel fuel efficiency is fantastic. It stuns friends when I tell them I get 17-20 mpg depending on loads.

Other than some particular issues with subsystems (solar, batteries, appliances), which have nothing to do with the "B" class in general, I find the van is exactly the unit for me.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:09 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Without modification:

1. Insufficient battery storage. Need enough power to dry camp at least two nights without worry. As it is, it won't last one night with fridge+freezer running. I upgraded my system to Lithium and problem is solved.

2. Due to narrow aisle, it takes coordination with two people to pass each other.

3. Wish it did not require winterization at all. Then it would be like a "car" where you just took it anywhere. They went half way with tank heaters and such. Wish it was a complete plan.

4. Radio sound sucks. I upgraded the door speakers. That improved some but it is still pretty low-end sound.

Thanks for your thoughts!

How many amps of lithium batteries did you find you need for the Interstate? Did you also add solar or not bother?

Thanks!
Chris
Old 01-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
The "B" is fantastic, BUT..... it really makes you think about your needs and desires for traveling and camping.
The small storage capacity eliminates taking along much other than what you really want to USE...I emphasize the word USE. I have been guilty, many times, of taking those "just-in-case" or "I might want" or "we might need" and "wouldn't it be cool to" items on trips.

My wife and I have gotten quite good at the aisle-dance when we are both up and active inside the van. It also gave me more incentive to lose a few more pounds (25 since last August).

We love the fact that we can go most anywhere we could drive a car! That's the biggest plus in my book.

The diesel fuel efficiency is fantastic. It stuns friends when I tell them I get 17-20 mpg depending on loads.

Other than some particular issues with subsystems (solar, batteries, appliances), which have nothing to do with the "B" class in general, I find the van is exactly the unit for me.

Along with others input more great thoughts!

We like to bring kayaks and bikes along. So will need to address that when the time comes. Kayaks would be folding or inflatable, I reckon, and bikes will travel on a rear bike rack or we would purchase folding bikes.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #8
SWH
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Cordova , Tennessee
Only two things I really donít like about our AI:

1. Lack of power sliding door. We transport a lot of people and everyone has a hard time getting it shut, and on an incline it slams so hard it could kill someone.

2. Obnoxiously loud generator. Itís so loud that I pretty much wonít use it. So embarrassing thatís the best they can do on a $165k van and no way to run A/C without it. Also wish it was fed by diesel tank rather than worrying about propane levels and refilling. If there was rear A/C powered by the van engine I would care about this quite a bit less.

I also echo complaint about very poor utility-van-grade speakers in front.

We use ours primarily for travel. Weíve never had an issue with battery capacity even leaving fridge on overnight.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Hi, Chris. My answer to your question is very short at this point, because my husband LB_3 and I spent three years modifying our Interstate (blog). So most of my "don't likes" have thoroughly gone bye-bye. Operationally, there's very little I'd wish for. We installed a lithium and solar system and thus developed the capability to stay off-grid for weeks at a time if necessary, with no shortage of power. I can run my office off-grid. We installed connectivity upgrades which allow me to work in most (not all) remote locations. I can also carefully apportion my cellular data plan to watch high-quality streams of Star Trek Voyager in areas where most people can't even get a phone signal. And in surround sound to boot, because my husband also installed Apple TV which connects to the van's speaker system. We also developed a custom hitch carrier that can accommodate various cargoes, so no need for a trailer or clumsy racks. I store our inflatable kayak on our roof and my collapsible bicycle in the closet that I modified. Our mod list is extensive.

Remaining:

(1) I wish it had been better-insulated by Airstream. Turning that issue into a do-over would require a complete DIY tear-down, which is impractical, so we live with it.

(2) We are still looking for some way to install a rear air suspension system. Long story.

(3) We've done some soundproofing to the cab with good results (post), but I wish it could be made more quiet (future continuation of that effort will probably improve it).

(4) I know there's one or two more changes we would make, but they are not coming to me right now.
Old 01-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeks View Post
Thanks for your thoughts!

How many amps of lithium batteries did you find you need for the Interstate? Did you also add solar or not bother?

Thanks!
Chris
I put in 300 amp-hour and fit it in the small enclosure were there was just the subwoofer! We use some 30% of it overnight so it has plenty of capacity.

We have a single solar panel and see no need to mess with it for simple reason that we park in the shade in summer when we use it. And that the engine charges in excess of 100 amps (20X a single solar panel). With the driving we do, batteries are always fully charged.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:05 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
The diesel motor is extremely quiet and its 200Ah alternator is great for charging the batteries but I cannot use it while parked because long idling is bad for its complex emissions control system, I really hated that, like teasing, you know, and lithium is still very expensive!
Old 01-20-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
MB Sprinter Bluetec emissions system
Insufficient battery/solar/electrical system for boondocking
Handling in high winds (this may be better in newer models)
Harsh ride in rear without air suspension
Loud generator and AC
Lack of factory rear AC that runs off motor
Old 01-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
So many great replies! Thank you everyone!

It is really wonderful to hear the honest answers on both this thread and the accompanying "What I like..." thread. You all are helping me so much!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:35 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
I'm pretty happy

I echo a lot of the complaints, Most are just annoyances that are part of the compromise of any RV choice. The poor insulation is kind of an unnecessary burden to customers who spent s-tons of money for their van

One thing that really concerns me though is the low low road clearance.

If Sumosprings will help that, I'd like to get them