Old 12-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #43
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
I explored the limitations of function, ride etc. before I purchased and am happy with my purchase as is. This is not to say that a couple tweaks down the road may be in order.
Tweaking the design is what changes it from AN Airstream to YOUR Airstream. It's part and parcel of Airstream ownership. Or RV ownership in general, for that matter.

We don't get to hear often from the owners of Winnebago Eras, or Roadtrek Adventuouses (Adventuri?), or Great West Legends, or Pleasureway Plateaus, or any other Sprinter-based Class B motorhomes. But I very much doubt that any of them has ever said, "This is EXACTLY what I need and I wouldn't change a danged thing!" At least, not until after they've already changed a few danged things.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #44
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Protagonist,

Advanced RV owners design their Sprinter to reflect exactly what they need. Every owner has his own ideas and therefore every one built reflects the owners.

A retired architect is documenting his current build.online and is getting exactly what he wants.

Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Why is pretty easy; higher GVWR and GCWR. Some of that increase is taken up by the extra weight of the dual rear wheels, but there was still a net gain in usable load capacity. Some of that added load capacity is taken up by increased weight of interior furnishings and installed equipment, but you also got increased tank capacities and a second house battery, and still had enough reserve load capacity to load up more portable gearó if only you had toom to put it!

On my trips to the UK I see Sprinters everywhere, but never any with duallies. And I always thought it odd not to see any of the 3500's or their equivalent. Then I noticed the rear tyres appeared to be much fatter than on the 2500's over here. When I asked, I was told they were called "Super Single" tyres, also known as "SuSi's", and they can be installed on the 3500's.
So I would like those on my next Interstate!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #46
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattonsr View Post
Protagonist,

Advanced RV owners design their Sprinter to reflect exactly what they need. Every owner has his own ideas and therefore every one built reflects the owners.

A retired architect is documenting his current build.online and is getting exactly what he wants.
On the proven theory that no plan survives contact with reality, I wonder exactly how long it will be exactly what he wants. What you think you want before you use it sometimes isn't the same as what you realize you want after you've used it.

I suspect that's the case with a lot of us Interstate owners, too. What we thought was exactly what we needed proved to be not quite exactly what we needed once we had more experience with it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
The retired architect first had a Pleasure Way for years. Then he had a Great West Vans that was state of the art for the time. He has spent years reflecting on his desires and needs. I think because of his extensive travels in B's, he knows exactly what he wants.
Old 12-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Great West Vans "state of the art"?
Old 12-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Yes, I think it really takes quite a bit of real-world experience to fully understand what you really want/need. Serious customization probably only makes sense for second- or third-time owners, who will probably never have their mature desires met by any off-the-shelf design. I consider myself to be half-way down the path that Davydd (the aforementioned architect) has followed. I started with an '05 Interstate (which I think was a great choice at the time), and recently graduated to a factory-customized 2014 Great West Van Legend. We looked carefully at ARV (which is in its bones a clone of the Legend but with higher-level finishes and systems and more customization). But we decided that the amount of customization that Great West was willing to do (which was quite a bit, but not as much as ARV) was enough such that the significant extra cost of the ARV "go for broke" path was just not cost-effective for us at this time. In the future, who knows...
Old 12-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Quote:
Great West Vans "state of the art"?
Absolutely--especially at the time. They were industry leaders in the B van world along a number of dimensions, including: Diesel-hydronic heat & demand water heating, real screen doors, tri-fold automatic rear beds, and more.

ARV used that exact design as their starting point (there were overlapping owner/employees). Many of the systems and the basic floor-plan are still similar.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
When or why - those would be interesting things to know.

When: I suspect when MB went to the 3.0 V6, just a guess tho.

Why: The upfitter stated that the ride in the 2500 was much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
When I asked, I was told they were called "Super Single" tyres, also known as "SuSi's", and they can be installed on the 3500's.
So I would like those on my next Interstate!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
If you do opt for the wider tires on a 3500, make sure the inner sidewalls don't touch as it will destroy both quickly.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
And, you know, some of this is about the driver going too fast, hitting bumps, turning hard, etc. One has to be cautious and aware of exactly what you are driving.

I have ridden in the back for long periods on a couple of occasions, when injured, and have never once become airborne or close to it.

It does lurch and bounce some back there, but those things are greatly mitigated by careful and conscious driving.

This is not a car or a limo, it is a delivery van, folks.

Maggie
Totally agree. Some folks figure it's a Mercedes so it should ride like a luxury car. Obviously didn't take a test drive. I've never been launched from the rear seat. Never had a problem finding a place for the foam bed topper. As you said, it's a delivery van. Next time have the salesperson take you for a lengthy drive and try out each seat. Then you'll know what your $150 thou is getting. Love mine.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Well I did test drive it but as I've stated previously, the front four seats ride fine. Guess I should have sat in the lounge. But I have ridden back there and some of the roads w/ some perturbations will launch you. I expected it to have a harsh ride having driven one ton trucks in the past. It's a spring rate thing and different shocks and/or sway bars aren't going to be much help. Air bags might be the answer but too pricey for me. I'd druther have a power slider but the latest iteration that the upfitter tried is still under designed for the massive door.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:36 AM   #54
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
What we'd change / have changed

A screen door for the slider - like the one on the new Grand Tour - hope Airstream offers it for the other models.

Quieter A/C unit ... It's earplugs for now.

More counter space - we bought the Lounge Wardrobe, took out the third seat, and will be building a counter height cabinet to replace it. At present, a store-bought shelf sits in that location.

More useful storage - we converted the full height wardrobe into shelves, similar to the half height wardrobe. We also took out the front TV so we have better access to the storage area above the front seats.

Still tinkering ... It's fun!
DJ
Old 12-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Absolutely--especially at the time. They were industry leaders in the B van world along a number of dimensions, including: Diesel-hydronic heat & demand water heating, real screen doors, tri-fold automatic rear beds, and more.

ARV used that exact design as their starting point (there were overlapping owner/employees). Many of the systems and the basic floor-plan are still similar.
Not sure that there is such a thing as "state of the art" in the B Van industry.

Innovative, perhaps, which can be good or bad until new systems are tried and true.

When researching prior to deciding on the Airstream Interstate, I looked in to Great West. Based on their service center locations (only a couple) and some inconsistancies the owner posted on videos online, I was off almost immediately.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Quote:
Not sure that there is such a thing as "state of the art" in the B Van industry.
State of the Art
Noun The latest and most sophisticated or advanced stage of a technology, art, or science.

Quote:
Innovative, perhaps, which can be good or bad until new systems are tried and true.
Quite true. The thing is that between then and now, the industry has clearly begun to converge on each of the innovations that I mentioned, as well (arguably) on the basic floorpan (center shower on drivers side, bed in back) that GWV pioneered. Many would agree that ARV has taken over the claim to being "state of the art" since the period we are discussing. That is why I think the strong similarity between the two products is relevant.

I'm not trying to criticize anybody's choices or argue that there is "one best RV" for everybody's needs. I am just trying to defend the plausibility of pattonsr's original claim.

Quote:
When researching prior to deciding on the Airstream Interstate, I looked in to Great West. Based on their service center locations (only a couple) and some inconsistancies the owner posted on videos online, I was off almost immediately.
Glad you are happy with your choice.