Old 12-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Shouldn't take all the complaints as gospel and then ignore all the solutions.
I don't really see them as solutions. I'm not interested in hauling around a topper or other queen-sized mattress device in a 22 foot Class B. I realize that some folks find it necessary and that's great if it works for them, but it seems absurd to me when I'm literally pinching cubic inches everywhere else. A bed should do the job of a bed, not serve as a platform for a customer-supplied real bed that the vehicle was never designed to store.

To the other commenter who attested to the comfort of the twin beds - they sound much like the jack-knife couches in our 2007. I didn't RTFM on what ours are reportedly constructed of, but it feels similar to memory foam. Even as we were driving it back to Texas on the day we bought it, I fell asleep as soon as I sprawled out on the thing. Very comfortable.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
The issue is having a seat / sofa convert to a bed. Needs to be firm enough to sit on and comfortable to sleep on. It is what it is. Take a memory foam topper or not.

Old 12-11-2014, 06:39 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
The issue is having a seat / sofa convert to a bed. Needs to be firm enough to sit on and comfortable to sleep on. It is what it is. Take a memory foam topper or not.
In this same thread, someone commented that the one thing they would want Airstream to improve about the Interstate is the rear suspension, to prevent passengers from being launched into low earth orbit on rough roads.

IMO, the last thing that is needed in the back of that vehicle is a firm couch. Under ordinary circumstances, yes, firmness would be my personal preference (it is in my home-without-wheels). But I have found that, in situ, a somewhat softer memory foam-ish couch has been a Godsend. It does help to cushion the blows. On long sections of rough road when I find myself getting too fatigued by the turbulence, I will lay down just to have a larger section of body surface area in direct contact with the shock-absorbing material (it makes for a surprising improvement over sitting up).
Old 12-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have always found the bed very comfortable to sleep on, and use just a nice, quilted, mattress pad between us and it.

We bought ours to travel and camp in, have loved it, and I still do....153,000+ miles later.

We never expected it to be, or ride like, a limousine.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Interstates are trucks converted into motorhomes. Heavy duty trucks at that. Never will ride like a class a. What you sacrifice in ride and comfort, you gain in mobility, economy and ease of driving. Jim
Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 AM   #34
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You'll never completely eliminate the tendency of rear-seat passengers to go airborne, since the rear seat is behind the rear axle, and therefore it will always bounce like a diving board when you hit a bump and for the same reason, a phenomenon called "moment arm." Air bag suspension should help if you can afford it and the generator isn't in the way of installing one, but it will not eliminate bouncing entirely. Rear-seat passengers should always be belted in while the vehicle is in motion, and padding for the lap belts would not be amiss, either, to minimize bruising around the hips when the seat belts dig on on a bump.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 08:21 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And, you know, some of this is about the driver going too fast, hitting bumps, turning hard, etc. One has to be cautious and aware of exactly what you are driving.

I have ridden in the back for long periods on a couple of occasions, when injured, and have never once become airborne or close to it.

It does lurch and bounce some back there, but those things are greatly mitigated by careful and conscious driving.

This is not a car or a limo, it is a delivery van, folks.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I was told by a local upfitter that the 2500 chassis rides a lot smoother than the 3500. I don't know when Airstream made the switch.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #37
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
See if they fixed the Dometic kitchen faucet lever so in the hot water position it isn't turned on by putting the cover down. Love the new Interstate!! Built for two!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic Sink.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	228414
Old 12-12-2014, 06:34 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I was told by a local upfitter that the 2500 chassis rides a lot smoother than the 3500. I don't know when Airstream made the switch.
When or why - those would be interesting things to know.

There are a number of other replies in here detailing why we cannot or should not expect or want this or that to change on the Interstate. But the title of the thread is "What would you change on the Interstate?" Not unexpectedly, people are using it to enumerate what they would change on the Interstate. I find that to be a very useful thought experiment because it gives me new ideas and perspectives... new ways of looking at the vehicle through the eyes of other people. Whether or not those types of changes would be feasible or even reasonable things to desire - that's a different thread. For present purposes, I'd encourage folks to keep listing them.
Old 12-12-2014, 07:21 AM   #39
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
When or why - those would be interesting things to know.
Why is pretty easy; higher GVWR and GCWR. Some of that increase is taken up by the extra weight of the dual rear wheels, but there was still a net gain in usable load capacity. Some of that added load capacity is taken up by increased weight of interior furnishings and installed equipment, but you also got increased tank capacities and a second house battery, and still had enough reserve load capacity to load up more portable gear— if only you had toom to put it!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would like to see fellow Interstate owners generally pleased and content with their purchases, viewing assets and limitations thru a realistic lens.

Not being one to shy away from expressing an opinion , I still consciously waited awhile before jumping into this thread. I hate to see dissatisfaction mounting over some things which are inherent in these rigs.

QC issues notwithstanding, accepting what they are and are not is an important part of satisfaction and quality of life/travel, which is what we all want.

Be realistic in your expectations, do what you can with your own selves to mitigate things you don't like.....is all I'm sayin'.

I'm sure JC is following this thread and will do what they can to make modifications.

Maggie
Old 12-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
^^^^^^ i agree ^^^^^^

I explored the limitations of function, ride etc. before I purchased and am happy with my purchase as is. This is not to say that a couple tweaks down the road may be in order.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
^^^^^^ i agree ^^^^^^

I explored the limitations of function, ride etc. before I purchased and am happy with my purchase as is. This is not to say that a couple tweaks down the road may be in order.
^^^^^^I agree too^^^

Research before you buy, and then tweak what you need to to customize it to your taste. It's just like buying a house. For example, you don't buy a house, and then complain that there's not enough counter space...You buy a house knowing there's not enough counter space, and then you figure out how to fix it. Pretty much same idea, imho.

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote