Old 10-20-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
il , Illinois
What temperature would be OK without winterizing?

We heat our garage to 50F all winter.
Our van is plugged in when it is in the garage.

The van won't stay out of the garage overnight but would like to drive it about 300 miles and 10-12 hours when we use it.

What temperature would you be comfortable to bring the van out with the tank heaters running and keeping the interior 60F-70F?

Old 10-20-2015, 07:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would think that, unless you are parking it out and leaving it any length of time, any temperature would be fine, but use your common sense.

If temps are in the teens or below, unless you are a very skilled driver and roads are clear, think carefully about heading out onto the roads as your Interstate does not drive or handle like a car.

We just had a rally at Moraine View State Park near Leroy, too bad you missed it.

Will be having another the second weekend in June, so watch the Forums and try to join us.

Maggie

Old 10-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm View Post
We heat our garage to 50F all winter.
Our van is plugged in when it is in the garage.

The van won't stay out of the garage overnight but would like to drive it about 300 miles and 10-12 hours when we use it.

What temperature would you be comfortable to bring the van out with the tank heaters running and keeping the interior 60F-70F?
If you're talking about camping in your Interstate, the best answer is 32°F, for a number of reasons. First of all, you shouldn't run the tank heaters unless you're hooked up to shore power— or unless you're running the generator nonstop. The Interstate's tank heaters are energy hogs, and will deplete your house batteries in four hours or less. I have never tried to operate tank heaters off the engine alternator, so I don't know how well— or even if— it would work. Without tank heaters, the only tank that will stay warm due to the furnace is the black tank, which is half above floor level.

Also, with the battery box located half below floor level and unheated on the non-EXT sofa/lounge models— and completely below floor level of the Grand Tour models— you would have fewer amp-hours available due to the cold. For example, at 32°F, you only get about 78% of the amp-hours that you would have at 70°F; which contributes to the depletion of your house batteries when running tank heaters. Sure would be nice if the tank heaters were also battery box heaters, but they're not.

I have been winter camping in temperatures down to about 20°F in my Interstate, plugged into shore power and with the furnace and tank heaters running. But I still couldn't dump the waste tanks because the macerator pump froze. I had to wait a week until I was in above-freezing temperatures in order to dump my waste tanks.

On the other hand, if you're talking about using your Interstate as a van rather than as a camper, the answer is that you can use it all winter long in temperatures above about 0°F, provided you use winter-blend diesel so it won't gel. The DEF will freeze, but as long as you don't start the engine before the glow plug icon goes out, you'll be fine, because the DEF tank heater is tied to the glow plug circuit and will warm up the DEF so that it will flow. But that's for a winterized Interstate. Winterizing is not a big deal, and there's no point keeping water in the plumbing unless you'll be camping.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I agree with Protag - if you spend all day out in freezing temps things can freeze up. Winterizing is the best way to protect the water system in cold climate. I use my Interstate all year long and winterize it when the temps start to dip below freezing. I've even made a February trip to Minnesota where it never got above zero for the week I was there and it was -20 the morning I left to return to Maryland. I keep a jug of RV/Marine anti freeze in the bathroom to flush the toilet when we make trips in our winterized van.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Costa Mesa , California
How cold to use Interstate

My wife and I use our RoadTrek (similar to Interstate) all winter. Only I don't keep a jug of RV antifreeze in the rig. It's cheap, and I put several gallons in the fresh water tank. Then everything works the same as the summer for toilet purposes.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
il , Illinois
Thanks everyone, I will keep the Van in our 50F garage un-winterized and will only use it when it is above freezing.

As a side note, I left the van with the tank heaters on for about 3 hours on a sunny 28F day and our battery drained to 65-70% when we returned. The alternator in the Van was able to recharge the battery, while the tank heaters were on, on our 3 hour trip back.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Newport , Pennsylvania
32 degrees better safe than sorry

Earl
Old 10-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana

I am a Newbie in the Airstream world!!
Old 10-20-2015, 07:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilderman View Post
My wife and I use our RoadTrek (similar to Interstate) all winter. Only I don't keep a jug of RV antifreeze in the rig. It's cheap, and I put several gallons in the fresh water tank. Then everything works the same as the summer for toilet purposes.

I added RV anti-freeze to the fresh water tank the first year I had my van. However I found it difficult to get rid of the anti-freeze taste in the water when I went back to regular use. So now I winterize water lines with compressed air and only add anti-freeze to the holding tanks.

- - Mike
Old 10-20-2015, 10:53 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you're talking about camping in your Interstate, the best answer is 32°F, for a number of reasons. .

I suppose technically that would be 33°F, but your point is understood.
Old 10-21-2015, 12:09 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1958 22' Caravanner
not shared , Nebraska
Dump it. But an older one , modity it , and free yourself!!!
Old 10-21-2015, 09:22 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButtUgly View Post

??????

- - Mike
Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigButtUgly View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
??????

- - Mike
Troll ??????

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 12:28 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I hand-pump antifreeze into city water connection to purge that section. Then....since I take pump inlet filter out to clean it...I have the fitting and hose to connect the pump to a gallon jug of antifreeze. I purge the whole system using the pump. Also hand-pump into black tank flush connection.. Seems to do the job well and by the time I finish sanitizing for next trip the antifreeze has been flushed out.....including the sickening-sweet aftertaste.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums