Old 10-21-2015, 04:37 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
That's a great idea. I wonder if you could use it to take a shower.... .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilderman View Post
My wife and I use our RoadTrek (similar to Interstate) all winter. Only I don't keep a jug of RV antifreeze in the rig. It's cheap, and I put several gallons in the fresh water tank. Then everything works the same as the summer for toilet purposes.

Old 10-21-2015, 04:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
My thought is to winterize it no matter what. Lots of things can happen. You could have a breakdown while out. You could have a wreck and have to have it towed. The heat in the garage could go out for a week. You could need to make a trip while it is cold. I think it would be easier to deal with being winterized than it would be to worry about freezing all winer.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:14 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Costa Mesa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I added RV anti-freeze to the fresh water tank the first year I had my van. However I found it difficult to get rid of the anti-freeze taste in the water when I went back to regular use. So now I winterize water lines with compressed air and only add anti-freeze to the holding tanks.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
I guess I'm just peculiar. I have never expected to use freshwater tank for drinking. We always use bottled water to drink, make coffee, brush rethink etc. Just too many ways tanks can be contaminate, even without a bad taste. 😅
Old 10-22-2015, 11:37 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilderman View Post
I guess I'm just peculiar. I have never expected to use freshwater tank for drinking. We always use bottled water to drink, make coffee, brush rethink etc.
There are a lot of people who have the same philosophy about freshwater tanks, so if you're peculiar you're not alone.

However I'm not one of them. There isn't a whole lot of space in an Interstate to store bottled water that can't be better used for storing something else instead, and during hurricane season I need to keep my Interstate ready to go in case of an impending storm. So for me that means keeping a full freshwater tank that I can drink out of. Which among other things means no antifreeze in the fresh tank in the winter. When I winterize, I drain the fresh tank, immediately reinsert the drain plug and fill cap to keep foreign matter out, and thoroughly blow out the lines. The only places I add RV antifreeze are the toilet bowl to keep the seal moist, the black tank and gray tank, and the macerator pump.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I'll bet you drain and refill the tank periodically since it stays pretty warm in Louisana and IIRC, the chlorine eventually breaks down.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:10 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I'll bet you drain and refill the tank periodically since it stays pretty warm in Louisana and IIRC, the chlorine eventually breaks down.
True. There are precautions to take if you want to store drinkable water in your fresh tank for extended periods of time. But this thread is about winterizing, not fresh tank treatment, so I limited my comments about drinking from the fresh tank to just my practice of not putting RV antifreeze in my fresh tank, so I never have to taste residual antifreeze.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:48 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
La Center , Washington
What temperature would be OK without winterizing?

Great info everyone, I'll be heading out on a long weekend trip next week where the expected temps are about 25 for a high and 7-10 low overnight. My plan is to go ahead and winterize this weekend and being a short trip use bottled water instead of using the freshwater tank this time.
On a side note, being this will be my first trip in this coach I am curious how well the systems like heat and ventilation perform..
Old 11-20-2015, 09:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I also have a 2013 Interstate and the propane furnace will get the inside warm and toasty. When we have shore power we some times use a small electric heater to keep the inside warm and save the propane.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:35 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Traveling thru West TX after Thanksgiving. Current projected temps for the day we're driving thru is Low 30 and High in the 60's. It looks like based on current projections that it will only be below freezing for a couple of hours. The rest of the trip the cold weather should not be a problem. Do you think it would be necessary to Winterized for that short period of time? Freezing temps are not an issue where I live and our AI is stored in a well insulated barn so winterizimg is not a must.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:37 PM   #24
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Below freezing only a couple of hours? No worries.