Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #1

2010 22' Interstate
Sierra Vista , Arizona
What is recommended battery?

I recently bought a 2010 Interstate (Class B) and need to replace the battery with two lifeline AGM's. Does anyone have the correct Lifeline Model number for ordering the batteries (12V)?

Thanks
Ron Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the AirForums.

Is it in the Airstream manual?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Beer View Post
I recently bought a 2010 Interstate (Class B) and need to replace the battery with two lifeline AGM's. Does anyone have the correct Lifeline Model number for ordering the batteries (12V)?

Thanks
The supplied batteries on my 2014 are Lifeline GPL-24T's. These are 12v batteries. You might consider upgrading to 6V batteries witch will increase your capacity. Two Lifeline GPL 4CT's, connected in series will increase your rated capacity from 160A with the 12v 24T's to 220A. The 4 CT's will fit the OEM battery box and you shouldn't have to buy any additional cable. I was able to configure mine in series with the existing cable and had a piece left over. Cost should be about the same.

Good Luck

Oops, I just reread your post and noticed that you mentioned replacing the "battery" not "batteries". Did your 2010 Interstate come with just one house battery?
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
C21

I think I would like to do what you have done and replace with 2 6V wired in series. Question, does the existing Magnum inverter/charger work for this system. Did you change any settings? Thanks
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:19 PM   #5

2010 22' Interstate
Sierra Vista , Arizona
I bought the unit from a dealer that installed one battery. Not sure what he put in yet but it doesn't seem to hold a charge at all. Not surprising based on other things I found. Trying to figure out what to get before I take it apart to get down to it.

Thanks for the help from a new guy.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:22 PM   #6

2010 22' Interstate
Sierra Vista , Arizona
2d reply. I haven't changed any settings but will have to check them closely when I replace batteries. The inverter charger does charge the battery but it doesn't seem to hold and the refridge will only operate a very short time on the battery.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #7
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
C21

I think I would like to do what you have done and replace with 2 6V wired in series. Question, does the existing Magnum inverter/charger work for this system. Did you change any settings? Thanks
Everything will work as before because you still have a 12v system. (you are just using two 6v batteries connected in series to get to 12v). The only other changes I made to my basic system was to replace the installed Magnum Remote Control (ME-MR) with a Magnum ME-RC Remote Control and installed a battery temp sensor. (ME-BTS) These changes aren't mandatory but recommended for better battery management. The remote control hooks up with the existing telephone cable. If you don't want to cut the hole bigger for the monitor, they also offer a surface mounting bezel that will alloy you to avoid any cutting. The ME-RC will allow you better control of the Magnum Inverter/Charger including setting it for the actual battery capacity. Magnum recommends the installation of the temp sensor but for some reason, Airstream has been leaving them out. The temp sensor uses a phone type cord which simply connects to a battery Neg terminal and plugs in to a port on the inverter/charger. Do a google search for these parts and you can find plenty of discount sources.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
I bought the unit from a dealer that installed one battery. Not sure what he put in yet but it doesn't seem to hold a charge at all. Not surprising based on other things I found. Trying to figure out what to get before I take it apart to get down to it.

Is the original battery box still there? Hopefully it is and has room for two batteries. You can go to Lifeline's website: lifelinebatteries.com and check out the dimensions of their various batteries.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #9

2010 22' Interstate
Sierra Vista , Arizona
Thanks again. The orig battery box is in place.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:52 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:

My 2012 has a house battery box that has two batteries stacked one atop the other with a wooden false floor in between.

It's entirely possible that your Interstate came with two house batteries, but the dealer only replaced the top one— not realizing there's another beneath it— leaving a stony dead one in the lower position.

That situation, with one new battery and one old dead battery, would exhibit the same symptoms you described.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
This is what the dealer installed for me. I hope this helps narrow down your search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1473701501527.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	271556  
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 05:38 AM   #12
ASI
1 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
Ft Wright , Kentucky
Given that it's low pressure, how does one hook up a tabletop propane grill that uses the small bottles. I have a quick connect hose and an adapter that hooks to the regulator, but that is too restrictive--no flame. If I remove the regulator and insert the hose directly into the burner, the flame burns, but it is a really high flame (not blue) with no control? Thoughts? Anyone have any luck making this work?
ASI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 07:35 AM   #13
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASI View Post
Given that it's low pressure, how does one hook up a tabletop propane grill that uses the small bottles. I have a quick connect hose and an adapter that hooks to the regulator, but that is too restrictive--no flame. If I remove the regulator and insert the hose directly into the burner, the flame burns, but it is a really high flame (not blue) with no control? Thoughts? Anyone have any luck making this work?
On my grill, (Camco), the manufacturer offered a control valve that replaces the regulator on the grill. That solved the problem for me.