Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2017, 04:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
What is Proper Tire Inflation ??

Im not sure what the correct tire inflation should be. I have 2015 AI, the tire inflation sticker show 61lbs. I know weight is a factor in determining proper tire inflation. Is 61 lbs the max when fully loaded.. Should I run less 57 , 58 when not fully loaded. What do other owners use in tires?? Is there a chart ??Appreciate your advice.
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
I always use 61. No problems in over 9 years of travel in two different AI's
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Palomar Mountain , California
All tire manufactures have tire pressure verses weight guides - go on line.
I was given one when I bought my Michelin's at Costco.
It tells me to use 50 pounds for my 31' AS, 75 pounds for my Ram 2500.
Silver Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I have not weighed mine, so I don't know the correct pressure. I have bumped mine up to 75 psi (tire sidewall says 80 psi max), and the front tires now wear evenly. I can't tell any difference in ride quality at 75 psi.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Curious, what does the door jam sticker recommend.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
Not an owner of the AI, but any time I've had a tire question, I contacted the manufacturer of the tire.
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by awchief View Post
curious, what does the door jam sticker recommend.
61 psi
Old 02-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKBETTY View Post
Im not sure what the correct tire inflation should be. I have 2015 AI, the tire inflation sticker show 61lbs. I know weight is a factor in determining proper tire inflation. Is 61 lbs the max when fully loaded.. Should I run less 57 , 58 when not fully loaded. What do other owners use in tires?? Is there a chart ??Appreciate your advice.
You need to know the weight for each axle when fully loaded including water, fuel, etc and then the tire manufacturer's recommendation for that weight.

IIRC, there's a thread discussing this in great detail on the forum.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
It is on the sidewall of the tire. The door jam sticker means nothing if the tires have been changed from the factory tires. http://www.rvtiresafety.com/
I use the maximum sidewall pressure when the tires are cold. With my load range E tires that is 80 psi cold.
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
61 psi
Thank you, That seems like a good starting point.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

61 psi is the recommended pressure on the 3500 Sprinter used for late model Interstates. It is a max load pressure based on full load plus a safety margin. If you want to run lower pressures it can help smooth the ride a bit, especially in the back. To run lower pressures get each axle weighed with your normal full load. Then get a tire pressure vs. load chart for your tires. They can usually be found on-line if you search a bit. Then adjust pressures accordingly. I run 60 psi on the front axle and 55 psi on the rear axle tire are wearing evenly after 40,000 miles on my replacement Michelin tires. I have over 83,000 on my Interstate.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Just in case someone wirh an older 2500 see it-
The Airstream sticker on mine says 80psi rear, 60psi front.
T1N (single rear wheels)

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #13
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Hawk View Post
All tire manufactures have tire pressure verses weight guides - go on line. ......

Be careful. Those charts are MAXIMUMS (or minimums if you look at it from the other direction), not recommendations.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:00 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
There are a number of threads in Air Forums regarding tires, pressures, etc. esp tires brands. A lot of the information contained is biased against some brands of tire and information about pressures is often biased as well. Do your own research and with knowledge gained you will enjoy safe traveling with your A/S.

As a suggestion, weigh your entire rig one axle at a time after it is loaded for travel. Scales are available at almost every truck stop and their prices usually very reasonable. If possible weigh each wheel separately on your trailer and use the highest measured tire load value for all tires. It's often not practical to weigh one wheel at a time so you may have to settle for one axle at a time. Use the highest axle load divided by two tires, add 10% and read the pressure on the tire manufacturer's chart recommended for that load on your tires. Your load will probably read between two pressures. Use the next higher of the numbers your load is between.

Go online to your tire manufacturer's web site or your nearest dealer and get a copy of the manufacturer's load/pressure chart. Read the information on the tire sidewall to determine the tires load range and the load range of the tire. Keep in mind the values in the chart are for the load on one tire. Use the heaviest load measured on the most loaded tire and select from the chart the tire pressure for that tire and use it as the minimum on every tire on your rig.

Some folks, myself included, add a 10% safety factor to the tire pressure. For example, the chart for my GYM load range D tires show pressure 40 psi is needed. I run the tires at 45 psi measured cold.

i follow this procedure to give my 50 year old trailer the softest and safest ride for my load.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Use the tire inflation tables and avoid under-inflated tires. They will wear poorly and are more damage prone. When an under-inflated tire hits a pothole, the tread buckles in and the sidewall can crease and blow out.

Recent heavy rains in NorCal have been hell on highways...lotsa potholes opening up in highly susceptible areas. Heard on the news this AM of numerous vehicles pulled off the side of Altamount Pass with blown tires due to potholes. I towed my trailer over Altamount a couple of weeks ago after heavy rain and saw the same thing...cars and trucks pulled over with blown tires. I'm sure some had tires worn too thin, but I suspect the rest had tires that just weren't inflated properly to resist damage.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Even if the load doesn't call for it, go with the sidewall max or close to it if there is a large difference.
This, to prevent the tire rolling off the bead during a tight turn; or at least over stressing the sidewall.
There are a couple of posts on this subject somewhere.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:28 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I made a mistake on my post, but I can't edit (this might be the only forum I'm on where I can't edit)

I went by memory (oh-oh)

The airstream stickers:
80psi front
80psi rear.

(Yes, weighing and finding your exact tyre is better, even using temp gauge... But at least this will be fairly close) I think

Sorry for the mistake, if a mod can fix the other?

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
I spoke to a Continental tire engineer, after sending a inquiry to the. The bottom line is, 61psi recommended by MB, is the correct pressure for the Sprinter van 3500. All safety features of the MB van, , anti lock brakes, roll over, skid control, is all predicated on the original factory tires running at 61psi, as indicated on the placard on the inside of body by driver side door. This pressure gives your the best footprint for tire to surface contact. Its also the safest. Running at higher pressures, decreases the foot print, causing, skidding , stopping distances, etc. Just an FYI.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:04 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari S/O
Currently Looking...
Milledgeville , Georgia
Tire pressure

Questions about tire pressure always bring out lots of responses and different responses.
gsusoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 08:00 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
I'm wondering if the tire pressure labels on the Sprinter are based on when the chassis-only is delivered to Airstream factory prior to adding all the Airstream coach stuff. I've been interested in this subject, but have never gotten a straight answer. All I know from my personal driving experience is that 61psi wears the tires down and unevenly. I run them higher and slightly vary the psi based on current temperature, season, and driving conditions I will encounter with my driving plan for the day. The base PSI I work off of is 75psi. I'm over 70K in highway miles on my 2014 AI.
K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote