Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
On my 2006, I have the original Benz stickers and two Airstream specific stickers.
Different numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9CarCrate View Post
I'm wondering if the tire pressure labels on the Sprinter are based on when the chassis-only is delivered to Airstream factory prior to adding all the Airstream coach stuff.
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
(2005 Sprinter, 2006 Airstream)
The Airstream stickers:

And the MB sticker

Old 02-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #23
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
I'm wondering if the tire pressure labels on the Sprinter are based on when the chassis-only is delivered to Airstream factory prior to adding all the Airstream coach stuff. I've been interested in this subject, but have never gotten a straight answer. All I know from my personal driving experience is that 61psi wears the tires down and unevenly. I run them higher and slightly vary the psi based on current temperature, season, and driving conditions I will encounter with my driving plan for the day. The base PSI I work off of is 75psi. I'm over 70K in highway miles on my 2014 AI.
Lotus 54 has some very interesting photos of vehicle tire placards - and they contradict what I think the way the system works:

Both the chassis manufacturer and the completed vehicle manufacturer (in this case Mercedes and Airstream, respectively) are required by law to provide a vehicle tire placard - the finishing manufacturer (Airstream) having the over-riding placard.

The chassis manufacturer sets the GAWR's (Gross Axle Weight Ratings) based on what they designed the vehicle to do. Tire size/ pressure are then set based on that.

So, in theory, a bare chassis shouldn't be different than a completed vehicle as the GAWR's should be the same - except, perhaps, for situations where the completed vehicle's tire pressures are adjusted for handling purposes - and that appears to be the case in Lotus54's photos - the GAWR's do not line up with the inflation pressure.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
MEDFORD , New Jersey
Quote:
I'm wondering if the tire pressure labels on the Sprinter are based on when the chassis-only is delivered to Airstream factory prior to adding all the Airstream coach stuff. I've been interested in this subject, but have never gotten a straight answer. All I know from my personal driving experience is that 61psi wears the tires down and unevenly. I run them higher and slightly vary the psi based on current temperature, season, and driving conditions I will encounter with my driving plan for the day. The base PSI I work off of is 75psi. I'm over 70K in highway miles on my 2014 AI.
I did ask that question, and according to engineer, 61psi, is based on max capacity of the sprinter van.. 11,030lbs.
RICKBETTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:29 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Remember you are discussing 2 different vehicles. Through 2006 Sprinters were 2 rear wheels only, the newer Sprinters are equipped with 4 rear tires. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Yes, important to remeber.

My older T1N is a 2500, new ones are quite a bit different and a 3500

I was just posting to show the differences in MB numbers and airstream numbers. Same Gross weight.

Mark