Old 08-24-2015, 10:52 PM   #15
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I don't do anything other than was the tanks out with dish soap every now and then.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I use the geo method.

Liquid water softener like Calgon and store brand liquid laundry detergent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Ditto the GEO method. I have been experimenting with it during this long hot summer. It works. Smell free and seems to help keeping the tanks cleaner dumping and rinsing. One cup bleach, one cap liquid Calgon and one cup dish soap mixed with two liters of water added to the black tank and same mixture to gray tank.
Ditto Lance's version of the geo method - we skip the bleach, Chief. We use a 1/4 cup of any cheap laundry powder detergent - Fab is the box at present - and 1/8 cup of Calgon powder water softener (we've used the liquid but try to find the powder - lasts longer- more treatments/box - but that's at 1/8 cup; if a capfull of liquid is all that's necessary we may go to that instead).

Same treatment for grey and black tanks, first thing after dumping. We add a couple pints of water to wash the powder down the drains... then proceed to fill in the normal way! Have never had odor or a problem in 4 years of doing this.

TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't like the bulk and volume issue with the homemade tank cleaner and deodorizer....although I'm sure they work well. We inherited something similar with our first RV in 2002, and used it til it was gone.

I just buy the little pod packets at WalMart, also add some Dawn via a bit of dishwater now and then. I add a second pod if not emptying for a week or so. These store easily at the back of the toilet.

Give your black tank a good rinse with a long hose at the dump station, when you find one. Minus that, I always go inside and give the toilet a good, long flush once the tank has emptied at the dump station.

This rinses any residue that wants to linger at the bottom.

Maggie
Old 08-25-2015, 06:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
We inherited some off-the-shelf common RV toilet tank solution when we bought the rig, and the serendipity factor was helpful because it happened to contain blue dye. The dye confirmed for us where plumbing leaks were and were not occurring. If I had just seen some generic residue, I would have been slower to the punch line because I would have thought, well, that could have derived from a number of different sources...
Old 08-25-2015, 06:54 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
I just use the drop-in tablets: Kronen, no formaldehyde. It says they biodegrade and liquify. Immediately after dumping, add 4 gallons of fresh water through the toilet ...drop the table in the bowl with last flush.

I have no idea what others think of this, and it's the only thing I've ever used since getting the van in the Spring, 5000 miles ago. But seems to work and no odor
Old 08-25-2015, 07:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
A Forum member told me to use ice cubes to help clean the tank and it has worked fine for me. After dumping the tanks I pour in the packet of cleaner then the ice cubes. As I drive the down the road the ice cubes slosh around and help loosen anything as they melt.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Recently started using the Rid-X brand of RV liquid. It is an enzyme based treatment and I have been very impressed with its solid and paper breakdown capability.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:10 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
I too just started using the Rid-X product. Just curious, how have you evaluated the "solid and paper breakdown capability"?
Old 08-25-2015, 08:15 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegmann View Post
I too just started using the Rid-X product. Just curious, how have you evaluated the "solid and paper breakdown capability"?
Wellll, Gotta get a little gross for that answer. I used to see and hear the "plop" of solids and wads of paper toward the end of the dump cycle as "things" would drop into the dump station port. No more. Also, I can see straight down to the tank through my toilet, right at the low end of the tank where the exit to the dump valve is. Whereas, I used to see pretty complete paper sheets and "preserved" solids, I now see only a thin slurry and very small paper particles. When empty and looking down the toilet, there is virtually nothing left, without, or prior to, flushing with clear water.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Thanks..... I think.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:36 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
I've been using the commercial enzyme products sold at camping world for years. No real issue, other than in hot weather I have to use more.

Mike
Old 08-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
I've been using the commercial enzyme products sold at camping world for years. No real issue, other than in hot weather I have to use more.

Mike
Ditto, I've tried a lot of different stuff and found this Pure Power Blue Waste Digester to work the best for me.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Great info folks. Thanks!
What's your process when you dump the black tank and then put up your AI for the next adventure? Do you use the same treatment in the tank? Add water? add something else?

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-31-2015, 02:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I have used Unique for 7 summers now. No odor and the tank drains completely.
Unique Natural Products | RV Digest-It Holding Tank Treatment | Safe Products That Work

'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote