Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
What black tank treatment do you use in your AI

Inquiring minds and all......

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:51 AM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I usually use an environmental friendly (no formaldehyde) additive that breaks down waste bacterially. Lots of those products out there, just read the labels. They tend to not mask the odors as well as the formaldehyde brands, but are safe for the campground systems and can help dissolve the solids in the tank which means less chance of clogs. In hot weather, I usually add an additional treatment as the tank hits the halfway point. That helps with the odor.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
In addition to the above, we will put some Dawn dish-washing liquid in the tank with a few gallons of water before moving to a new site. The liquid soap and sloshing around on the road helps to keep the inside of the tank "clean" or at least cleaner than it would otherwise be.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:39 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Enzyme treatments, no particular brand. With a macerator pump, any treatment that helps break down solids helps the pump work more efficiently.

Also, just before I dump the tank, if it's not already full I add hot water until it is full. Hot water helps soften the solids. Since an Interstate has a wet bath, it's really easy to use the shower head to add the hot water to the black tank by running the shower into the toilet.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Clorox removes all odor and then evaporates....

Not standard practice I know, but it is cheap and it works for me.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:15 AM   #6
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
I use the geo method.

Liquid water softener like Calgon and store brand liquid laundry detergent.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2019 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Clorox removes all odor and then evaporates....

Not standard practice I know, but it is cheap and it works for me.
I thought bleach was a no-no because it kills the bacteria that make septic systems work (ie at the dump station)
leedav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:39 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Ojai , California
Since we full time in our trailer I just flush the tank with water using a "Flush King" adapter on the outlet pipe once a week (or when I smell it).
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
What black tank treatment do you use in your AI

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedav View Post
I thought bleach was a no-no because it kills the bacteria that make septic systems work (ie at the dump station)

It does kill the bacteria, but the was I see it holding tanks are not septic tanks, so killing the bacteria and odor is ok.

The chlorine will evaporate reasonably quickly once it has done its job, and the tanks are emptied causing very little if any environmental impact.

And remember, bleach is commonly used in washing machines that dump into sewers and septic systems.

I think it is a much better alternative to commercially available RV treatments that contain phemaldehyde.

And it makes the trailer smell fresh.... I find the common "rv smell" kinda repugnant, whether the smell is phemaldehyde, waste, or a waste and phemaldehyde mix.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
I used Happy Camper's Extreme holding tank treatment. It's a powder, it doesn't say what's in it. It's designed for 30-40 gallon holding tanks, ours is 18. It says to mix and pour into the tank, adding enough hot water to bring it to half a tank. I figured that would be 15 gallons so I got our tank about 3/4 full. I left it in there for 12 hours, then drove 500 miles. I dumped when we arrived. The odor that had been there previously was gone. We also had some kind of odor absorber by the vanity. Between the two things, life is better
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Ditto the GEO method. I have been experimenting with it during this long hot summer. It works. Smell free and seems to help keeping the tanks cleaner dumping and rinsing. One cup bleach, one cap liquid Calgon and one cup dish soap mixed with two liters of water added to the black tank and same mixture to gray tank.

http://thegeomethod.blogspot.com/

https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I use the "wife irritation" method. I wait until 1/2 full, drive around the campsite, or take a day trip, then dump immediately upon stopping. Never let it sit longer than a few minutes before dumping. Never let waste sit in there longer than a week. Every time (for 70,000 miles) I notice the tank is totally clean upon looking into the toilet. No using chemicals, no rinsing tank, no hose down the toilet. "Irritation"? Oh, because I let the whole campground know how wonderful it is going. I call out "waste management!" before I review the process to anyone who will listen.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Seguin , Texas
Folks,
Thanks for sharing! I'm going to try an enzyme based to see how that works out. Will give status as I learn more about it....

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Laidback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:38 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Do you have some problem you are trying to solve? I have never found a need to do anything. If you have an odor problem, it is very likely a plumbing issue.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:52 PM   #15
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I don't do anything other than was the tanks out with dish soap every now and then.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:04 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
I use the geo method.

Liquid water softener like Calgon and store brand liquid laundry detergent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Ditto the GEO method. I have been experimenting with it during this long hot summer. It works. Smell free and seems to help keeping the tanks cleaner dumping and rinsing. One cup bleach, one cap liquid Calgon and one cup dish soap mixed with two liters of water added to the black tank and same mixture to gray tank.
Ditto Lance's version of the geo method - we skip the bleach, Chief. We use a 1/4 cup of any cheap laundry powder detergent - Fab is the box at present - and 1/8 cup of Calgon powder water softener (we've used the liquid but try to find the powder - lasts longer- more treatments/box - but that's at 1/8 cup; if a capfull of liquid is all that's necessary we may go to that instead).

Same treatment for grey and black tanks, first thing after dumping. We add a couple pints of water to wash the powder down the drains... then proceed to fill in the normal way! Have never had odor or a problem in 4 years of doing this.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I don't like the bulk and volume issue with the homemade tank cleaner and deodorizer....although I'm sure they work well. We inherited something similar with our first RV in 2002, and used it til it was gone.

I just buy the little pod packets at WalMart, also add some Dawn via a bit of dishwater now and then. I add a second pod if not emptying for a week or so. These store easily at the back of the toilet.

Give your black tank a good rinse with a long hose at the dump station, when you find one. Minus that, I always go inside and give the toilet a good, long flush once the tank has emptied at the dump station.

This rinses any residue that wants to linger at the bottom.

Maggie
Old 08-25-2015, 05:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We inherited some off-the-shelf common RV toilet tank solution when we bought the rig, and the serendipity factor was helpful because it happened to contain blue dye. The dye confirmed for us where plumbing leaks were and were not occurring. If I had just seen some generic residue, I would have been slower to the punch line because I would have thought, well, that could have derived from a number of different sources...
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 05:54 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
I just use the drop-in tablets: Kronen, no formaldehyde. It says they biodegrade and liquify. Immediately after dumping, add 4 gallons of fresh water through the toilet ...drop the table in the bowl with last flush.

I have no idea what others think of this, and it's the only thing I've ever used since getting the van in the Spring, 5000 miles ago. But seems to work and no odor
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:20 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
A Forum member told me to use ice cubes to help clean the tank and it has worked fine for me. After dumping the tanks I pour in the packet of cleaner then the ice cubes. As I drive the down the road the ice cubes slosh around and help loosen anything as they melt.
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote