Old 08-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You can not check batteries just after charging and expect that to tell you anything. Batters have what is known as a Surface Charge right after charging. Let them set for a while.

Another consideration is what is running in background? Do you have a CO2 detector running? If so that is drawing current and will lower the battery voltage. If you are checking battery voltage on batteries connected in parallel the have to be disconnected from the trailer and from each other.

If you are using wet cell batteries, and it looks like we have both types in the tread, the only real test is the Hydrometer, and thanks TG Twinkie for the spell check.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
You should test the health of your batteries.

#1 Get a cheap plug in 12 volt meter, or a hand held volt meter.

#2 Plug in RV to shore power. ( an AC outlet )

#3 Check that the charger is working by looking for 13.8 volts ( results vary depending on what charger you have )

#4 Let the batt charge for 8 hours

#5 Unplug your RV from shore power. Check to see if voltage is over 12.8

#6 Don't use any 12 volt device…let RV sit for a day or two. Eliminate any phantom draws of electricity

#7 Check for " Resting Voltage " Normal resting voltage ranges fro 12.6 to 12.8

Much less than 12.6 resting voltage indicates that your batts need replacement sooner or later.

You might have a faulty battery monitor. You might have a phantom draw ( propane monitor, radio etc ) Your batteries might be done. You might need a new charger. It might be operator malfunction ( Read up on batteries )

Not bad except your voltage points are not correct, assuming that the Interstate has Lifeline AGM batteries.

The inverter/ charger (hopefully a Magnum MMS-1012) should be bulk charging the AGMs at 14.2 VDC.

After charging, remove the negative battery terminal to eliminate ALL loads on the batteries and Allie them to 'test' for 4 hours minimum.

After resting, the no load voltage should be at 12.8-13.2 VDC.

If lower, your batteries have lost their charge retention capacity.

Lifelines are covered by a 5 year pro-rated warranty but this does not apply to poor battery charging habits or allowing the batteries to sit for long periods in a discharged state.

Lew Farber

lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 09:15 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Montclair , NJ
Update: I was able to get the generator to crank after being on the road 4hrs hours, I stopped and did NOT prime the generator that time. I had just enough power to get the generator working and drove another 2 hours with it on. ( I know you're not supposed to but it was hot and the dogs needed A/C)

The rapid draining started happening after I let the AI sit for 2 weeks without turning off the battery disconnect. I am hoping it is related to that and just a temporary issue! Maybe connecting to shore power for 8 hours will fix it or help determine if it is shot.

Thanks for the info on testing the batteries. I will test when I can connect to shore power.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:47 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I drive with generator running all the time..

It gets hot back there and if there are passengers, they need to stay cool..
Old 08-16-2016, 10:05 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
The rapid draining started happening after I let the AI sit for 2 weeks without turning off the battery disconnect. I am hoping it is related to that and just a temporary issue! Maybe connecting to shore power for 8 hours will fix it or help determine if it is shot.
The AI has zero tolerance for battery mismanagement. We call the parasitic loads that eat batteries a design flaw while Airstream will call this operator error.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:09 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
Update: I was able to get the generator to crank after being on the road 4hrs hours, I stopped and did NOT prime the generator that time. I had just enough power to get the generator working and drove another 2 hours with it on. ( I know you're not supposed to but it was hot and the dogs needed A/C)

Thanks for the info on testing the batteries. I will test when I can connect to shore power.

There is no problem running the generator while driving. But leaving your Interstate sit for two weeks, not plugged in will drain your batteries even if you did turn the disconnect switch off. I assume you have the 100 watt solar panel on your Interstate. That might help if the van was in direct sunshine all day.

- - Mike
2013 Interstate Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote