Old 11-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #15
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletbison View Post
Hi All,

Just a quick intro to some soon-to-be new Interstate Owners.

We are Grant & Beth and our 2 daughters (12 & 8). we've entered into a contract to buy a 2014.5 Interstate EXT Lounge and expect to take delivery mid November. We live in Central NJ so not too much will happen until spring other than people moving, unless the weather gods allow. Our big plan is to take 10 weeks next summer while the girls are out of school, and drive across country and back. I'm a stay at home dad so I'll be doing the bulk of the driving with my wife flying and meeting us places as her work schedule allows. We have family in Northern California and Oregon and many friends spread out across this great country that we plan to visit (and borrow laundry facilities) along the way.

We are obviously very excited and I'm sure I will be peppering the forum board with questions in the coming weeks and months.
\

A short heads up. When you take delivery have the dealer explain what can happen if you leave the kitchen sink faucet lever in the up (hot) position when you close the lid with the water system either on city or charged with the pump. Always leave it in the down position (cold). Check out the forum link "flood." Especially important with kids onboard. Enjoy.

Old 11-04-2014, 04:03 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Bound Brook , New Jersey
We're taking the plunge

Thanks everyone for your kind replies. I am one who frequently suffers from analysis paralysis so I've been researching RV's for about 3 yrs now and focusing on B's which I initially tossed out as too small and very expensive relative to the other styles. But as we examined how we would use our new vehicle we decided that the B was the way to go. Yes it will be cramped at times, but with the three of us most of the big trip, I plan to have the on the 4 captains chairs.

My other concerns with traveling with the 3 of us is water consumption and tank capacity. I will need to find lots of fill-up and dump stations along the way.

With regards to the winterization, Colonial will winterize it for me after PDI and testing of plumbing systems. We're buying a "demo" as it has about 775 miles on it, but hopefully that means that some of the new RV gremlins and punch list items have already happened. We already noticed 2 during our test drive and the work order to service was processed before we left the dealer with our contract in hand. One was the Pyle rear monitor was very dark, too dark to be useful. Our salesman indicated that there is some video interference that has to be found and corrected.

The other issue is insurance, I've received three quotes within a $150 range of each other. I've read some opinions but I thought I'd ask on this thread.... Any comments good or bad about Progressive, Geico, or Blue Sky?

Thanks,

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:05 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Bound Brook , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
Congrats. Don't forget the Oregon coast on your trip next Summer!

Definitely, my folks live in Corvallis as well as my sister and her family. We only got to spend one day last summer at the coast but will do a lot more this time.

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
We've used Progressive and been happy with their service. We had two incidents thus far (with a previous Pop Up camper) and they stepped right up.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I got Allied that includes a great roadside service plan as part of it.

Didn't check Geico or Progressive for personal reasons but Allied was the best rate for the coverage.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
With regards to the winterization, Colonial will winterize it for me after PDI and testing of plumbing systems.
Don't forget to have them turn on the furnace and let the accumulated dust burn off. That way, you don't have to listen to your smoke detector going off the first time YOU light it up!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:04 PM   #21
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Passing thru Kansas on my 2nd trip to California, along with four + trips to east coast from IL. Mostly use it to allow wife & I to take the 8 yr old Lab with us, but at Christmas we had 4 across in the bed watching movies on the 16 hr drive. On the 10 week trip take a tent if planning on camping out, the spare room will be nice to allow a little separation when needed, and treat yourself to a resort stay every 4-5 nights (pay for it with fuel savings since you didn't spring for the 4 mpg pusher class A)

After the initial learning curve and shakedowns you'll love it.

And it makes a really nice soccer van if your kids are into sports. Also great for County fairs and weekend trips! You'll soon wonder how you got by not having a toilet with you everywhere you go.

RE water & dump. Many truck stops as well as state parks have dumps so if you do a little planning you'll be fine. Good Sam gets you a buck or so off dump fee at the ones I've used.

Enjoy the time with your kids. I still remember summer vacations camping with my grandparents; unfortunately I worked to much to do it with my kids so congrats on making it work!

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Mobile , Alabama
Congrats, I know you will be making memories for your family.
Old 11-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #23
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We too are Central NJ'ers. We have a 30' trailer and our insurance is with NJ Manuf. Insurance. The other year we had a trailer mishap. Fault was with the other guy but NJM fronted the money for the repair very quickly and we got our deductable after they settled. If you have them for your auto insurance I recommend using them for the RV also.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

The other issue is insurance, I've received three quotes within a $150 range of each other. I've read some opinions but I thought I'd ask on this thread.... Any comments good or bad about Progressive, Geico, or Blue Sky?

Thanks,
You may have noticed that there is a separate recent thread regarding insurance. Several folks recommended Good Sam and that is the one that proved to give me the least amount of hassle this far, FWIW.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:25 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
Congrats on the van... Can't say enough about these vans.. This is a handy bed, I'm not the best carpenter and I built one... Not as nice as the one in the picture but it works... Also I recommend these apps:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1415208319.430085.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	524.9 KB
ID:	225775

http://roadtreklife.blogspot.com/201...front.html?m=1