Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
weBoost Drive Sleek (Cell Phone Signal Booster)

Finding campground WiFi absent, or close to useless when present, we've decided to rely on cell-phone hot spot. I've ordered this cell booster to give a try. It's a portable (and low cost) unit, presumable easy to set up in the van. If it works well I might try a more powerful permanent device later, and re-purpose this one for our car.

weBoost Drive Sleek 470135 Cell Phone Signal Booster
http://amzn.to/2Eyqkdt

SINGLE USER CRADLE - weBoosts new cradle 4G cell phone booster. With improved fitting design for new phones with various sizes. QUICK, EASY SETUP - Step by step installation guide included to help in proper installation for any type of vehicle.
PERFORMANCE GUARANTEED - Manufacturer 2-year warranty and 30-day money-back guarantee
BETTER VOICE AND DATA - Get fewer dropped calls, better voice quality, faster data uploads and downloads.
BOOSTS CELLULAR SIGNALS UP TO 32X - Enhances 4G LTE and 3G signals for One person device in a vehicle
COMPATIBLE WITH ALL US NETWORKS - Works on Verizon, AT&T, Sprint*, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Straight Talk and more. *Government regulations in the U.S. & Canada prohibit boosting a particular frequency used by some of the Sprint network. Most Sprint customers still see performance improvement from weBoost signal boosters.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Keep us posted. We are getting a Verizon hot spot (based on coverage comments from forum members) when we start going out more. Guessing those would benefit from something like this as well.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
I believe it is supposed to work with cell phones, tablets, computers, hot spot devices etc that connect to the cellular network.

I received it today and made a preliminary test in my car. Because I'm in a good cell area, it's not a real test. That may come next week on a van trip.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a weboost system I use in International AS. We use it for internet and watch ROKU TV with it when we use phone as a hotspot. Just needs lots of data time. But you can get 2 kinds. One is used inside the vehicle that is more powerful than what you bought. The problem is the phone has to be close to the inside antenna (about 3’) if you use it for a hotspot. The other kind is used for homes and has a larger range. Pros and cons. If you already have the one for your car, then I would buy the one you could use in house. I use my weboost for my business because I do a lot of calls in my pickup. But I’m thinking about spending the money and getting the weboost that would be for a house. That way I have better reception in the AS. But they do work.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
I believe it is supposed to work with cell phones, tablets, computers, hot spot devices etc that connect to the cellular network. ....
Let me correct that. The "Sleek" has an antenna cradle that only fits cell phones (of varying sizes). Probably won't work with anything else.

Some of the other weBoost products work with other devices.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Charlevoix , Michigan
Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna

We have the WeBoost 4G-X installed in our airstream... we rarely use it anymore. Why? Because we have much, much better throughput with our hotspot attached to this: http://a.co/3jMYS7F.

It's the Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna with 2 TS-9 connectors. If you have a hotspot with TS-9 connectors, this low cost antenna is a much better bet. Problem with boosters like the WeBoost is that they may increase signal strength (bars) but your data rates (bandwidth throughput) stays the same (or maybe a little better). These MIMO antennas don't boost signal strength, they just boost throughput. For example, if you get say 1 MBPS download speed without the MIMO, you may get 16 MBPS with the MIMO antenna (yes, this is a real example from my personal experience).

We do still use the WeBoost if we are in a signal area that literally has NO signal at all; then we'll use the booster to see if we can pick-up anything.

Hope this helps!
trekerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 08:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
I have a WeBoost Drive 4G-X. While the internal antenna does an OK job, the best results come from putting the phone right on top of it. Given this, I think the cradle type boosters like what the OP bought are better IMO.

Anyway, regardless of the type, I find the cell phone boosters to be excellent and a far better solution than a WiFi booster. We mainly boondock (BLM land, wild camp, etc), and where we go, there's no WiFi and little, if any, cell signal. The booster has made the difference between no signal and 1-2 bars of 3G, and can take 4G from 1 bar to 3+ bars (which results in MUCH higher throughput). Which ever phone is attached to the antenna turns on a personal hotspot, and viola, everyone in the van gets WiFi. We burn through tons of data, especially if we're using it to stream Netflix, etc., to the TV through our Apple TV, but we have a shared Unlimited plan, so we don't have to worry about it. Overall this has been working well for us, and is a LOT cheaper than buying a dedicated hotspot like a Verizon JetPack, AT&T Unite, etc. due to data usage and limits.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
We have looked at the WeBoost but have not pulled the trigger yet. Now looking at PDQ Connect's "One Source Cell-Wife-HDTV" product. It is spendy but if boosting all three signals are approached separately with other top of the line products it is not that much more. Does anyone have experience with One Source to compare?
Old 01-12-2018, 09:16 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekerboy View Post
We have the WeBoost 4G-X installed in our airstream... we rarely use it anymore. Why? Because we have much, much better throughput with our hotspot attached to this: http://a.co/3jMYS7F.

It's the Netgear 6000450 MIMO Antenna with 2 TS-9 connectors. If you have a hotspot with TS-9 connectors, this low cost antenna is a much better bet. Problem with boosters like the WeBoost is that they may increase signal strength (bars) but your data rates (bandwidth throughput) stays the same (or maybe a little better). These MIMO antennas don't boost signal strength, they just boost throughput. For example, if you get say 1 MBPS download speed without the MIMO, you may get 16 MBPS with the MIMO antenna (yes, this is a real example from my personal experience).

We do still use the WeBoost if we are in a signal area that literally has NO signal at all; then we'll use the booster to see if we can pick-up anything.

Hope this helps!
Trekerboy very interesting.
I,m on the verge of a jetpack pay as you go setup to provide secure connectivity to a lap top and kindke fire. Future may hold some tv streaming but not now. Just looking to do some finances, email and light surfing while OTR and likely with a weak signal. Don't have or want a smart phone glued to my hand. Appreciate any experience and wiring connction details.

Happy trails

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
FYI, the Netgear MIMO has been discontinued, although they can occasionally still be purchased from residual stock, depending on the vendor. Excerpt from Technomadia's review:

"UPDATE (September 2017): We received a statement from Netgear:

"The NETGEAR MIMO Antenna is an End-of-Life product and there are no plans of a replacement product."

It is such a shame to see such a great little antenna discontinued."
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks interblog. I may monitor their website for new products.

You're right, this looked like a slick device.
B
Old 01-13-2018, 11:36 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Austin , Texas
More questions on weBoost DriveSleek

This is an interesting thread. We are about to embark on a year-long trip in our International 25FB and want to purchase a booster like this. My questions are:

1. will this work for both iphones as well as Verizon jetpacks?
2. Is it reasonable to expect that we could use this unit in our TV while driving and then move it to the AS when we're parked.

I would prefer to avoid installing a permanent booster in the AS due to cost and need to have something that will work in both the TV and the AS.

Any advice/experience for this type of set up would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Brian
bhkintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
That is our direction as well. Jetpack to provide connectivity in the TT & TV. I think it is battery powered like the jetpack. Unfortunately apparently this specific unit has been disc...maybe still on Amazon. There must be something similar out there.

Bob
Old 01-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Edit: there came an intervening comment, so let me cite what I'm referring to.

Quote "I would prefer to avoid installing a permanent booster in the AS due to cost and need to have something that will work in both the TV and the AS."

Theoretically, you could use one unit for both places, but it would be a time-consuming pain. Perhaps put a power source and an antenna in both vehicles and just move the base unit itself back and forth between the two.

Beware, however, that such a scheme would still involve higher-than-normal wear and tear on the antenna port of any such booster. Some of us use multiple antennae and this also becomes a problem in that regard (changing out individual cables) because there is no way to install any type of toggle switch on that type of connection without spending thousands of dollars. Something about the sensitivity of the coax and degrading the signal.

Personally we bit the bullet and installed permanent cellular hardware in our rig (not this specific hardware, but other stuff). Hard wired it in and ran the lines behind the cabinetry, the whole nine yards. We use it on every trip, so I don't regret the cost.

Now if only I could find a proper telescoping mast for my directional antenna, as I had originally set out to do...
Old 01-14-2018, 07:50 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Wayne , Nebraska
Exclamation weBoost Drive Sleek (Cell Phone Signal Booster)

Also something to think about, those connectors on that equipment are not designed for repeated installation and removal. I speak from experience as one who has to repair said units! (communications tech)

Ron
Ron W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
We agree on that point. Given that a splitter or a toggle is not an affordable option in this context, I don't know what the answer is for people who, for one reason or another, must don and doff the cable. Don't know what the answer is, other than to be very gentle.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:40 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Wayne , Nebraska

There are push on adapters made for test equipment that can be used, problem is they are very expensive ($60.00 a piece!) We use them on test cables that need to be removed frequently.

Best thing is to bite the bullet and hard wire!
Old 01-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California

And get two systems if need be. SMA connectors need to be torqued to no more than 6 inch ounces and left alone once torqued properly. They wear when connected and disconnect, and at the frequencies used, wear is a bad thing.

Best to put it together and leave it alone as long as possible
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:32 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron W View Post
There are push on adapters made for test equipment that can be used, problem is they are very expensive ($60.00 a piece!) ...
Can you post a link to an example product please? Choose something that would work with any of the weBoost products designed to optimize 4G or higher (including the DriveSleek referenced in this thread).

I'm not doubting you, but multiple other technical sources have told me that multiple antennae cannot be connected simultaneously (with an either/or prioritization switch of some kind) - they've told me that this is just not achievable in the consumer realm. Plus my engineer husband researched the issue independently, and also came up empty-handed.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:12 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Wayne , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Can you post a link to an example product please? Choose something that would work with any of the weBoost products designed to optimize 4G or higher (including the DriveSleek referenced in this thread).

I'm not doubting you, but multiple other technical sources have told me that multiple antennae cannot be connected simultaneously (with an either/or prioritization switch of some kind) - they've told me that this is just not achievable in the consumer realm. Plus my engineer husband researched the issue independently, and also came up empty-handed.
Don't know how to link, however try crossrf.com