Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2018, 01:21 PM   #41
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I've purchased a WeBoost for a cabin up in the northwoods, about 15-20 miles form a cell tower with the cabin in valley. Get out of the valley and the cell reception is good. Back to the cabin, no so good.

After installing the WeBoost the signal was excellent, with the only caveat being that you had to stay within a room of the indoor antenna.

If you have no solid cell service nearby, then the boosters won't magically create one.

Here is a link to a cell tower search engine:

http://www.cellreception.com/towers/

Also IIRC, the WeBoost I bought, as with many things have options. Make sure you get one that works with all the carriers, there are some boosters that will only work with 1, maybe 2. The broad range boosters that work with more carriers tend to cost more, but I can tell you first hand they work well under less than idea signal situations. Members of my family all have different carriers and we've tested it with Verizon, AT&T, Cricket (AT&T owns Cricket), T-Mobile and all have worked very well!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:40 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
Reading 2018 reviews on cellular boosters for RV's it appears the weBoost 4G-X RV1 470410 is rated #1 on several sites. Question, have any AS owners had experience w/this unit? Greatly appreciated.
The 4G-X is still the gold standard. We have had ours for about 1.5 years and *LOVE* it. Our life on the road would not be possible without it. It does what it claims to do. It can't make signal out of nothing, but if there is a weak signal, it will perform.

That being said, the SureCall Fusion 2Go 3.0 is the competing product and early speculation held open the door to a conclusion of even better performance than the 4G-X (it came out in March 2018 - I'm not sure how much buyer feedback there is yet). If I were buying today, I might choose that one instead, depending on the research.

With all such devices, the 'chocolate bar' is an annoyance. It pretty much requires physical contact with the device, which means it's difficult for more than one person to have connectivity at a time. My husband LB_3 is going to work on a solution for that. Meanwhile, I do things like this - dangle the business end of the 4G-X out the rig's window so that I can get signal under the awning.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:58 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
There are better indoor antennas- but you need to watch that it does not interfere with the outside antenna. If the indoor is too good, it will be a problem.

I’ve used the older versions in buildings- the indoor covers a number of rooms pretty effectively- but the outdoor had quite good separation so no issues.
Also want to be careful of the transmission cable, since it will not work properly is partly squished, too tight radius or too much loss for the distance- especially at the higher freqs.
I know we used 7/8” Heliax for tower runs to keep loss down on 900 MHz.
Improper impediance cable will not work correctly either- it will work, but not right.

I never did buy anything, I was planning to get one for the around the country trip- but never did. Since I was not working- it wasn’t that big of a deal.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:39 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
... be careful of the transmission cable, since it will not work properly is partly squished, too tight radius or too much loss for the distance- especially at the higher freqs.
I know we used 7/8” Heliax for tower runs to keep loss down on 900 MHz.
Improper impediance cable will not work correctly either- it will work, but not right.
We figured out on this last trip that we need to purchase a spare cable. That thing gets a lot of wear and tear.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
2017 30' Classic
Grapeview , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The 4G-X is still the gold standard. We have had ours for about 1.5 years and *LOVE* it. Our life on the road would not be possible without it. It does what it claims to do. It can't make signal out of nothing, but if there is a weak signal, it will perform.

That being said, the SureCall Fusion 2Go 3.0 is the competing product and early speculation held open the door to a conclusion of even better performance than the 4G-X (it came out in March 2018 - I'm not sure how much buyer feedback there is yet). If I were buying today, I might choose that one instead, depending on the research.

With all such devices, the 'chocolate bar' is an annoyance. It pretty much requires physical contact with the device, which means it's difficult for more than one person to have connectivity at a time. My husband LB_3 is going to work on a solution for that. Meanwhile, I do things like this - dangle the business end of the 4G-X out the rig's window so that I can get signal under the awning.

I found an in depended side by side between weBoost 4G-X and SureCall 2GO 3.0 by CKC Laboratories. The nerd/geek bloggers who understand the 51 pages of tech, stated the SureCall hands down beat weBoost.

I am thinking we will go w/SureCall. However we might weight for 2019 new products between the two to see if anything has changed. If there is no new, then we will move forward w/SureCall. Greatly appreciate your info.

Safe travels and best regards.....................
sbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 02:38 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbowman View Post
I found an in depended side by side between weBoost 4G-X and SureCall 2GO 3.0 by CKC Laboratories. The nerd/geek bloggers who understand the 51 pages of tech, stated the SureCall hands down beat weBoost.

I am thinking we will go w/SureCall. However we might weight for 2019 new products between the two to see if anything has changed. If there is no new, then we will move forward w/SureCall. Greatly appreciate your info.

Safe travels and best regards.....................
SBOWMAN - I have decided on the SURECALL2GO RV 3.0 .
CREDIT TO INTERBLOG for posting this info. Had I not read her post, I would have blindly bought the WEEBOOST due to excellent reputation thru the years (and still should be on most people's top choices).

I have read, watched, and researched many of the independent comparisons and reviews. Obviously, I have no way to confirm their results. Even though I am a tech geek/nerd, the 4 things helped my decision apart from the techie data were:

1. When I contacted both SURECALL & WEBOOST prior to purchase, SURECALL, was much more responsive & patient with my sometimes annoying newbie questions.

2. SURECALL comes with 40ft.cable vs. 20ft. for WEBOOST. Going from the rear most section of AI to the front overhead compartment in order to get maximum separation from indoor/outdoor antennas, and taking into account the internal turns needed to accomplish a completely hidden/internal routing, I need a bare minimum 30ft. I think WEBOOST is short sighted in thinking 20ft. is enough for an AI, let alone other rv's that are much longer.

3. SURECALL 3yr warranty vs. WEBOOST 2yr. The three-year warranty only applies to products meeting the latest FCC Certification Guidelines stated on 2/20/2013 and going into effect April 30, 2014. If SURECALL can offer a 3yr. warranty, why can't WEBOOST offer same? Is that a "read in between the lines" indicator that WEBOOST had not satisfied the new FCC Guidelines? Everyone can make their own analysis.

4. SURECALL priced at $405 Black Friday vs. WEBOOST $499
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SureCall_Fusion2Go_3.0_RV_Cell_Phone_Signal_Booster_large.png
Views:	62
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	328697  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote