Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
While emptying my thanks at Topsail Hill RV park in Florida I noticed a little black box connected by two wires dangling just below the Mercator pump.

Further investigation showed there were two just like it still stuck to the fresh water tank. So I assume (cuz I don't have AS schematics) that this is the water tank level sensor of some kind. I had some silicone in the van, but it was buried under everything, and we were pulling out to head to Ft Wilderness. So I zip tied it up and left it to be repaired at home after the trip (14 days) Upon pulling in the drive I noticed it hanging again, I'm pretty good with a zip tie, so this seemed odd, but nope - a 2nd sensor had fallen off the tank! So: 5,000 miles on the van, and yes - some 96 degree days in the sun - but doesn't seem like things should be falling apart. 3 hours to an AS dealer, now I'm not sure position of sensor (top, middle, bottom)

QUESTION: - am I correct that these are water level sensors? - what is best way to reattach so they won't fill off again - are there other - this is going to happen sooner or later issues that a few zip ties and goop can prevent now?

BTW: shredded my trailer plug connector on the driveways during my trip, (couple of times) why the heck would the low point on my bumper be the trailer plug instead of the skid plates????? Do these designers ever drive these vans?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-671885456.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	196071   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1943804488.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	196072  

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
You are correct that they're tank sensors. Should be four in all, per tank, located one above the other, more-or-less equally spaced since the tank is rectangular. There may be some adhesive residue on the tank to show where they were stuck on before.

Never had one fall off, so I'm not sure what the best way would be to stick them back on.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
BTW: shredded my trailer plug connector on the driveways during my trip, (couple of times) why the heck would the low point on my bumper be the trailer plug instead of the skid plates????? Do these designers ever drive these vans?
My sensors haven't fallen off yet either, but I did shred my trailer plug connector. My dealer is going to stock up on some steel wheels for the hitch so I will have them installed where the current skids are -- hopefully a tad lower so the plug isn't the low point. I'll post some pics unless you do yours first.
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
My sensors haven't fallen off yet either, but I did shred my trailer plug connector. My dealer is going to stock up on some steel wheels for the hitch so I will have them installed where the current skids are -- hopefully a tad lower so the plug isn't the low point. I'll post some pics unless you do yours first. David
Here it is after I bolted it back on, the cover was toast ( picked up in the driveway) there has to be a better place for this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2689657547.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	196080  
Old 09-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Hmmm. The position of the trailer plug is interesting. Mine is up higher. I had to move it to the left to get access to put is locking hitch pin. I'll try to snap a picture when we pull over.

I'm interested in the skid 'wheels' you mention. I've been considering adding something like that. My current skids bars were once round, but are now some mangled geometry. I guess that's the price you pay for extra storage (EXT model)
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post
I guess that's the price you pay for extra storage (EXT model)
Yep, I backed out of my daughter's driveway and left a nice little mark in the street (will remind her every day that I came to visit).

My wife heard it dragging bad and said I should stop - I said, "na It's ok, just the skid bars dragging". Then I saw the trailer lights plug cap setting in the road. WHOOPS!

On the bright side - gear, food and bedding for 14 day trip all fit in the van, thanks to the extra room in the EXT.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Yep - I had one of my tank sensors fall off too. This is one of countless issues I've had with my 4-month old Interstate EXT. Assembly quality is dreadful.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #8

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
One of my water tank sensors fell off too. Airstream insisted on replacing all the tank sensors and sent the dealer a set of VERY detailed instructions on preparing the tank surface, applying the adhesive, etc. Airstream covered the repairs under warranty so, no complaint there.

It is curious to me, and I hope Airstream has taken notice of the fact that all these are water tank sensors and maybe that was the reason for what the mechanic described as, "…unusually detailed instructions"?

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylorsan View Post
Hmmm. The position of the trailer plug is interesting. Mine is up higher. I had to move it to the left to get access to put is locking hitch pin. I'll try to snap a picture when we pull over. ..
Here you go. My connector on the 2012 model seems to be in a better position. I'm not sure why they made that change for your model year.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	196125  
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I think they made the changes because the 2013-2014 Interstates have a new removable hitch cover over the entire hitch for a clean bumper look.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Hitch cover photos

Here are a couple of photos of the new hitch cover on 2013 & 2014 Interstates from the Airstream web site. This is causing the trailer plug to be below the hitch skids. I've scraped my EXT Lounge many times and added some wood blocks to the skids to minimize the damage. I also raised my trailer plug by 1/4" by cutting and re-welding the bracket. Bit it only raised the plug to same level as hitch bumpers. I would welcome some sort of steel wheels on this hitch like many of the long overhang class C's I've seen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Interstate Removable Hitch Cover.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	196136   Click image for larger version

Name:	Interstate Streamlined Hitch Cover.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	196141  

Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote