Old 11-09-2014, 02:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBoy View Post
MYSTERY SOLVED!! I was still trying to figure out those two shutoffs under the driver's side fridge/freezer stack, and then I remembered that yesterday, when I tried to use the outside shower to empty the fresh tank (I think it was protoganist who suggested that good idea), nothing came out. I figured it was a defective check valve on the quick-connect hookup. Tried every which way, but nothing. This morning, I put it together and that's what those two valves are: hot and cold shutoffs for the outside shower. Someday Airstream will put together a manual that is actually useful.
Not sure why they would want shut off for the outside shower. So the only two low point drains on yours is on the curb side rear side dual?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherrills Ford , North Carolina
Yup, that's correct. Passenger side, rear, under cup holder.

Old 11-09-2014, 07:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Good link for the battery question Boxster1971. However, since I don't yet know what it's there for, I wonder if it's completely integrated with the rest of the chassis electrical system. Does it charge along with the starter battery? When the chassis battery cut-off (under the steering wheel) is opened, does that also cut off this second battery? Inquiring minds want to know.....
The answer to your questions on the Aux battery are contained at page 3 (Overview) of the Sprinter Engineering document on installing the Auxiliary Battery. it says:
"When installing electrical aftermarket equipment with an AMP draw of more than 25A in Mercedes-Benz Sprinters & Freightliner Sprinters it is necessary to use the optional aux battery 12V/100Ah (CODE E28)."

There are over 25 Amps of added equipment in the new Interstates powered by Sprinter battery, including these items with fuse ratings:
Awning (20 Amp)
Slide-out Step (10 Amp)
Rear View Camera (15 Amp)
Kenwwood DNN990HD (5 Amp)
12V Outlet on Driver Seat Base (15 Amp)
Trailer Brakes (if installed by owner, can draw up to 30 Amps)

I've attached a document containing pages from the Sprinter Equipment Book that gives you a sense of how the Auxiliary Battery is used.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sprinter Aux Battery Info.pdf (263.6 KB, 29 views)
Old 11-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gambita View Post
Attachment 226010
Water line under the sink in our 2015 interstate xl
Is your coach a "Grand Tour" model?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Yup, that's correct. Passenger side, rear, under cup holder.
Interesting as the new 2015 owner's manual on page 9-15 states: "There are three fresh water line low point drain valves. There is one under the galley accessed by removing the drawer in the lounge model, there two under the curbside lounge model accessed by removing the cupholders."

Curious as to what the single low point drain valve under the galley is for.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
MYSTERY SOLVED!! I was still trying to figure out those two shutoffs under the driver's side fridge/freezer stack, and then I remembered that yesterday, when I tried to use the outside shower to empty the fresh tank (I think it was protoganist who suggested that good idea), nothing came out. I figured it was a defective check valve on the quick-connect hookup. Tried every which way, but nothing. This morning, I put it together and that's what those two valves are: hot and cold shutoffs for the outside shower. Someday Airstream will put together a manual that is actually useful.
I'm curious, can you post a photo of these valves?
Old 11-09-2014, 08:42 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherrills Ford , North Carolina
In reply to Boxster1971, I did follow the earlier link, and I agree about the extra battery. I guess I was thinking that most of those things you mentioned were powered by the house batteries, and not the chassis battery. However, I certainly see that the possible trailer connection alone would immediately account for the extra load all by itself.
As for 73shark, that's just one more example (there are so many, and even some glaring typos) of why the manual is almost totally useless. There is no valve under the sink, at least not that I can see. Yes, mine is a Grand Tour, and almost everything important has been moved around from earlier models. I would be happy to post a picture, but I put the "breadbox" away in the storage yard for the next few weeks, so I'll do it when I wake her up for some exercise. Unless someone else beats me to it.....
Old 11-09-2014, 11:10 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
In reply to Boxster1971, I did follow the earlier link, and I agree about the extra battery. I guess I was thinking that most of those things you mentioned were powered by the house batteries, and not the chassis battery. However, I certainly see that the possible trailer connection alone would immediately account for the extra load all by itself.

All the items I listed, except the Kenwood DNN990HD, are powered by the Sprinter starter battery. The Kenwood is also powered by the starter battery when the coach battery is turned off. If there is an Auxiliary Battery option like you have the cut-off relay switches all these loads to the auxiliary battery when the engine is shut down. This is a very good thing to have installed in your Interstate.

The trailer brakes would likely only be used when the engine is running.

Personally I think the new self retracting awning probably pushed the limit to convince Airstream to add the auxiliary battery. While camping I could easily envision a scenario where you would cycle the awning several times a day.

Hope some of this info is useful,

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
FWIW, the solar panel and/or the generator will keep the chassis battery charged on mine.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #38
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
There are over 25 Amps of added equipment in the new Interstates powered by Sprinter battery, including these items with fuse ratings:
Awning (20 Amp)
Slide-out Step (10 Amp)
Rear View Camera (15 Amp)
Kenwwood DNN990HD (5 Amp)
12V Outlet on Driver Seat Base (15 Amp)
Trailer Brakes (if installed by owner, can draw up to 30 Amps)
The ones that count are the ones that might be running when the engine is off. Namely the sliding step, the awning, the 12v outlet, and possibly the Kenwood. These items all ought to be wired to the auxiliary battery under the hood, if you have one, so that they don't run down the starter battery.

When the engine is on, the rear-view camera and the trailer brakes would be powered by the alternator, not the batteries, and so do not need to be wired to the auxiliary battery. They can't run down the starter battery.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 06:03 AM   #39
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
FWIW, the solar panel and/or the generator will keep the chassis battery charged on mine.
When you say "chassis" battery, do you mean the starting battery or the auxiliary battery? Because of the relay that only connects the auxiliary battery and starter battery when the engine is on, so that both can charge from the alternator, I do not believe the solar panel, generator, or shore power will charge the auxiliary battery, only the starter battery.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
When you say "chassis" battery, do you mean the starting battery or the auxiliary battery? Because of the relay that only connects the auxiliary battery and starter battery when the engine is on, so that both can charge from the alternator, I do not believe the solar panel, generator, or shore power will charge the auxiliary battery, only the starter battery.
Since mine is a 2011/2010, it only has a starting battery which up 'til the 2015 was all they had AFAIK. Most folks 'til now have referred to it as the "chassis" battery. I guess now I'll have to be more specific.

Old 11-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
...>snip<.... I am asking because I would like to cycle through the tank water whenever possible. I usually hook up, and so the tank may not be used for weeks at a time.....>snip< .....
Since we camp frequently and always travel with a water supply, we, too, like to cycle through the on board fresh water as often as possible to keep it fresh. We have begun using the water pump and fresh water tank most of the time....even at sites with water hookups...when the tank runs low we fill it up again using the exterior fill port ... and top it off before we move to a new location. If we are in an unfamiliar place we use an in-line filter to fill the fresh water tank.

Then once in a while we'll hook up to the city water (again, using a filter) just to keep everything in use at least some of the time.

Also once in a while we add a half-ounce of bleach (this can vary with larger tanks) to the fresh water when we fill it up ... just to keep it sanitized and fresh.

This routine has worked well for us and we've never had a problem with bad-tasting water.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Inline filter is a great idea. Can you provide a brand name and/or photo, please?