Old 03-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Water pump problem

I may have a water pump problem. A few weeks ago I cleaned the small water filter that is attached to the pump and now the pump will free run after several days of no use. I'm glad I cleaned the filter as it was gunked up as others have noted. I've re-seated it twice but I still have the problem. I don't normally keep the pump on all the time but lately I have to try and isolate the problem. It can take up to week before the problem arises. I have checked everywhere for water leaks but I have found none. Does not mean I don't have a water leak it just means I have not found one. Is it possible to lose pressure and not have a water leak? Is there a simple way to check for a leak in the plumbing system? Thanks

orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Do you get water pressure build up when you are connected to city water? How much water is in your fresh water tank?

Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
There should be a rubber O-ring on that filter (actually a 'pump strainer') that seals it to the housing. Check to see that it is still there. Very easy to lose and, according to Murphy's Law, will roll when it is dropped to the hardest place to recover it from...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Do you get water pressure build up when you are connected to city water? How much water is in your fresh water tank?
No problems that I am aware but it would take seveal days to confirm. We have a trip scheduled soon so I will be able to check this out more closely. My tank is about 1/3 full according to the "Inaccu-Gauge" which I read as I have water in it and its less than full.
Old 03-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
There should be a rubber O-ring on that filter (actually a 'pump strainer') that seals it to the housing. Check to see that it is still there. Very easy to lose and, according to Murphy's Law, will roll when it is dropped to the hardest place to recover it from...
Yes, pump strainer. Not sure why I called it a filter. Hope to check that O-ring tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlik View Post
... now the pump will free run after several days of no use. ... It can take up to week before the problem arises. I have checked everywhere for water leaks but I have found none. ...Is it possible to lose pressure and not have a water leak? Is there a simple way to check for a leak in the plumbing system? Thanks
By "free run", do you mean that the pump will come on by itself?

And if so, how often does it occur and for what kind of duration?
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
By "free run", do you mean that the pump will come on by itself?

And if so, how often does it occur and for what kind of duration?
When we were on our last trip (end of January) and driving home my wife heard the pump running. I turned it off. There were no facets on since we were driving and all fixtures turned off. When we got home I was able to build pump pressure and the pump stopped running. I decided to leave the pump switch on so I could try and figure out what was happening, checking the RV everyday. Several days passed and everything was fine. Then I checked again one day and when I walked in the RV the pump was running again . It could have been running all night. That's what I mean by free running, maybe its the wrong term. Turned on the faucets and I was able to build pressure again and the pump turned off. This has happened about 3 times in the past 6 weeks.

My wife just reminded me this happened once before shortly after we got our AI in 2017. We were driving and my wife heard the pump running. Turned it off. Once back at the camp site we built pressure back up and everything was ok and we never had the problem again until just recently. Very odd. That is why I was asking if there is a clever easy way to check for air leaks. I say air leak only because I have not found any water leaking - at least not yet.

Per rmkrum suggestion I checked the O-rings and they appear fine.
Old 03-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Most of the time if there is no leak it is a problem with the check valve inside the pump letting water go backward through the pump which decreases pressure in the system and causes the pump to turn on occasionally. Lots of people replace the whole pump, but for an hour or so of work you can just replace the check valve for less than $15.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
Most of the time if there is no leak it is a problem with the check valve inside the pump letting water go backward through the pump which decreases pressure in the system and causes the pump to turn on occasionally. Lots of people replace the whole pump, but for an hour or so of work you can just replace the check valve for less than $15.
smithcreek, thank you for your suggestion. When you say "turn on occasionally" do you mean it turns on and off, or does it turn on and stay on? My pump is staying on until I turn it off.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Westerly , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlik View Post
smithcreek, thank you for your suggestion. When you say "turn on occasionally" do you mean it turns on and off, or does it turn on and stay on? My pump is staying on until I turn it off.
No, it would just come on for a few seconds until the pressure built back up in the system. Sounds more like a problem with the pressure sensor in the pump.
smithcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
What brand pump is used? I have a spare I can send you to swap in and see if it is the pump.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
I have similar issues. Also pump revving up and down while using water. I tried this and found filter/screen was a little loose. It seemed to help but I need another weekend out to test again. This adjustment really helped the revving of the pump while in use. I had asked dealer about this revving, they said it was normal. I knew otherwise. It just took me a few years to find an answer.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/adjust...lo-water-pump/

thanks to doityourself RV!
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:37 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
What brand pump is used? I have a spare I can send you to swap in and see if it is the pump.
My pump is a FlowJet. I don't have the model number but it looks like the "Flojet 2.9 GPM 50 psi Water Pump". It's in a very awkward location and would be a PITA to replace but doable. We are going on a trip next week and I will be able to monitor more closely what is going on. But I do appreciate your offer. If I did go through the trouble of removing I would probably replace with a much quieter one. The problem should not interfere with our trip unless it starts running at 2am.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:45 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
I have similar issues. Also pump revving up and down while using water. I tried this and found filter/screen was a little loose. It seemed to help but I need another weekend out to test again. This adjustment really helped the revving of the pump while in use. I had asked dealer about this revving, they said it was normal. I knew otherwise. It just took me a few years to find an answer.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/adjust...lo-water-pump/

thanks to doityourself RV!
Thanks for the link. I watched the video and it does not appear I have the same problem. My pump works fine without revving in normal use. If I leave the pump on for an extended time I lose prime and the pump runs. I will investigate further when we go on our trip next week. Intermittent problems are tough to track down.