Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
You can't damage the pump by letting it run dry. It doesn't work that way. These little pumps actually move a flexible flap up and down and require no lubrication. They can run all day dry without damage. In fact, I did that once. However, I did replace the noisy stock pump for another quieter model that varies the flow based on the need rather than full on-off. I hated how loud the stock pump was.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:57 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Well, you can't make a comment like that and not tell us what better replacement you used.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
Well, you can't make a comment like that and not tell us what better replacement you used.
Sorry about that. I replaced it with the Flojet R4515743A 3.7 GPM VSD pump. It hardly makes a sound since it isn't "full on" everytime you open the faucet. I also insulated it using some foam padding, to make it even quieter. This pump can be replaced without changing the fittings although I did make a slight change in how AS installed the original by cutting the inflow line, and using a threaded adapter, and then threading on a standard faucet hose, which is how they did the outflow side. This allowed me to move the pump over a bit for better placement, and use a bigger screen filter that came with it rather than the one that AS used. I can now very easily reach the screen filter by removing the lower drawer.

I hated how loud the original pump was. I felt everytime I got up to use the bathroom at night when boondocking and camping out, everyone within 100 yards of me knew it. Now, no one is the wiser.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #24
WBCCI 8562

1975 31' Sovereign
Pelzer , South Carolina
HI replaced my pump with the new flojet as well, after 38 years the original one's
diaphragm was like rock. Used to be able to find these but could not now. Easy to replace. Hanging onto the old one hoping to find parts. PS it is nice with the new constant flow pump, no on off cycle.
Jim in Pima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:30 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
My pump also stopped pumping after recent road trip. The tank was pretty low, so I filled it to the max and now pump works OK.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:11 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Pima View Post
HI replaced my pump with the new flojet as well, after 38 years the original one's
diaphragm was like rock. Used to be able to find these but could not now. Easy to replace. Hanging onto the old one hoping to find parts. PS it is nice with the new constant flow pump, no on off cycle.
Since you're hanging onto the old one, you might try to restore it. Soak it in hot water, then rub glycerine onto it. Should soften it up at least a little bit, so that the old one could be useful as a spare.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #27
RRR
2012 Avenue Suite

2012 Avenue Coach
SPRINGFIELD , Missouri
Make sure the water heater is filled through city connection. Fill fresh tank full. Turn on pump(at least Flo-jet does this). Open faucet at galley first w/hot valve and should prime immmediately. Then open to cold side and repeat w/bath and shower faucets.
RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I am late on this discussion, but when I first got my 71 Caravel and replaced the PAR pump with a Flo Jet, it would not prime. All it would do is pump air. I tightened up every connection, checked the strainer and all that, still got air. I finally found that the original rubber intake hose was leaking air into it when the suction of the pump tried to pull water from the below floor tank. It did not leak water out, or even weep, but when the pump ran it pulled air right through that hose. Replaced the hose, and the thing always primed just fine after that. It was a real head scratcher though.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Encinitas , California
I've had an issue with the water pump 2x....the first issue within the first two weeks of owning our Interstate 2013.
Replaced the pump.... worked fine for 5 months and now, the pump is on and the water faucets and toilet don't have water. We never leave the pump on (so we didn't burn it out) the fresh water tank says full.
The issue first came about when I went to empty the gray water after emptying the black water and the gray water wouldn't pump out. So...it has to be the pump again... hmmmm
Suru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suru View Post
".......and now, the pump is on and the water faucets and toilet don't have water. We never leave the pump on (so we didn't burn it out) the fresh water tank says full.
The issue first came about when I went to empty the gray water after emptying the black water and the gray water wouldn't pump out. So...it has to be the pump again... hmmmm
Suru,

The pump that supplies water to the faucets and toilet (the water pump) is totally unrelated to the pump (the Macerator) that pumps out the gray and black tanks. There is nothing common between them. They are even (at least on my Interstate) on separate fuses; water pump is on Ckt. 3 and the Macerator is on Ckt. 9 which has no other loads. You have two distinctly different problems. IMHO.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
You can prime the water pump by wrapping a rag around an air hose and sticking it in the fill part. Turn the water pump on and leave one of the faucets on. Of course there has to be some water in the freshwater tank for this to work.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:07 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
You can also prime the pump by disconnecting the discharge hose at the pump. Then start the pump, when the water comes out, shut the pump off and reconnect the discharge hose.
The pump may be sucking air from a leak on the intake.
There is also the possibility that water sloshing in the FW tank is forcing air into the intake line to the pump. With air trapped in the intake, the pump will not prime. Since it is designed to pump water, not air.
This happened too frequently in my old coach. And only when the FW tank is down to half full or less. I installed a 2 way valve.
It simulates the disconnecting of the hose when I switch the valve from one position to the other. So now it's just a matter of switching the valve to the second position and back again to the first and things are back to normal.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Suru,

I found your question in the General Motorhome Topics not here. Don't know how that happened??

Your post:
"Re: my Interstate 2013
Thankyou for helping Re: the fuses for water pump and Macerator. Sorry to be ignorant ... Are the fuses at the front drivers seat or are they somewhere else?
Appreciate the info!
Suru"

The location of all of the DC fuses including these depends on whether you have a Twin model or a Lounge model. In the Twin, the fuse panel is located under the roadside bed. In the Lounge model I believe the panel is located under the rear lounge. This is all documented in the Owners Manual; the electrical information is in Section H.

Good luck,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #34

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
Suru,

I found your question in the General Motorhome Topics not here. Don't know how that happened??

Your post:
"Re: my Interstate 2013
Thankyou for helping Re: the fuses for water pump and Macerator. Sorry to be ignorant ... Are the fuses at the front drivers seat or are they somewhere else?
Appreciate the info!
Suru"

The location of all of the DC fuses including these depends on whether you have a Twin model or a Lounge model. In the Twin, the fuse panel is located under the roadside bed. In the Lounge model I believe the panel is located under the rear lounge. This is all documented in the Owners Manual; the electrical information is in Section H.

Good luck,
Wayne
The fuses under the driver's seat are explained in the Sprinter operator's manual; they're Mercedes equipment, not Airstream.
Old 09-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Encinitas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

The fuses under the driver's seat are explained in the Sprinter operator's manual; they're Mercedes equipment, not Airstream.
Thanks Wayne!
It worked ! You helped me fix two things! Blown fuses
Now the water pressure is low... Another discussion
Thanks again
Suru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:19 AM   #36

2010 27' FB International
Memphis , Tennessee
what drawer did they go thru to access pump? i'm not getting good flow.. I think my screen is clogged. Thanks, HT
htsimonton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:53 AM   #37

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsiii View Post
what drawer did they go thru to access pump? i'm not getting good flow.. I think my screen is clogged. Thanks, HT
In an Interstate there's only one bottom drawer; the pump is right over the water tank and bolted to the floor.