Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
OAKDALE , California
Water pump

So... we ran our water pump and it ran beyond having water in the tank... this is because we had super low water pressure in the campground so we had both the pump and the city water going so we didn’t notice that the house tank was out. Now, we can hear the water pump running when we turn it on, but it’s running but no water is coming out. When the water pump is on, and all faucets are off, we still hear it running... suggestions please,? Thanks!
jldejong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jldejong View Post
So... we ran our water pump and it ran beyond having water in the tank... this is because we had super low water pressure in the campground so we had both the pump and the city water going so we didn’t notice that the house tank was out. Now, we can hear the water pump running when we turn it on, but it’s running but no water is coming out. When the water pump is on, and all faucets are off, we still hear it running... suggestions please,? Thanks!
This may be a stupid question but does your fresh water tank have water in it? If not the pump will run because there is no pressure in the line to turn it off. If you are hooked up to city water you don’t need the pump-leave it off.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
If you have water in the tank, the pump should be self-priming. Depending on your brand, there are replaceable diaphragm parts that may be damaged or worn out. My pump was 6 years old, so I just replaced the entire unit.

They aren't too expensive and if you stay with the same brand it's an easy swap using the same screw holes to hold it in place.

Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OAKDALE , California
It did have water in it, but we were running both because the campground water pressure was so low that it boosted it up. Then the holding tank ran dry without us knowing. Now it’ has water in it, but the pump is making noise but not producing water...
Old 08-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OAKDALE , California
Our unit is a 2018. Basically brand new.
Old 08-25-2018, 10:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I have never experienced this but I have read that on occasion RV water pumps lose their "prime". The symptoms are as described. Do a search on this forum for the remedy.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebtown View Post
I have never experienced this but I have read that on occasion RV water pumps lose their "prime". The symptoms are as described. Do a search on this forum for the remedy.

Yes. I agree to try and prime it. I've read the pump diaphragms don't burn out like the macerator impellers do if run dry. But if it was running dry long enough, I'm not so sure it wasn't damaged. But try opening all faucets (including outside shower) in case there is trapped air.
Old 08-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OAKDALE , California
Great idea to run all faucets! We’ll try that tomorrow morning!!!
Old 08-25-2018, 11:30 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Great idea to run all faucets! We’ll try that tomorrow morning!!!
And let's say your get your pump working (fingers crossed) each time you're ready to turn off your pump, make sure all faucets are tightly closed to limit the chance of introducing air back into the system. Most likely that's not your problem, but your system should hold pressure for many weeks between uses, even when off.

Good luck.

Old 08-26-2018, 12:56 AM   #10
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
It's either one source or the other. The pump will not boost city water pressure, rather draw water from the tank at your pumps regular pressure. I suspect your tank is empty, or your pump has lost it's prime. Doubtful you hurt anything as most if not all of these modern pumps say they can be run dry...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Slight correction, most Airstreams are set up so the water pump can boost low pressure from city water. Check owner's manual.

Suggested steps:

-- make sure pump is off at the switch
-- fill tank with filtered water, and stand by to continue
-- open all H/C faucets
-- turn on pump switch
-- pump should self-prime
-- run all H/C faucets until no air comes out
-- close all faucets
-- pump should stop automatically
-- wait 5 minutes and confirm pump does not come on again
. .[if it does, you might have a leak some place]
-- fill tank again
[-- turn off pump when you leave the campsite]

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- Welcome to the forum jldejong, and have a great trip! When you have time, you might want to read your owner's manual thoroughly. Don't worry, very few of us read the manual, until there is a problem like this!

As the old bluegrass song says, "You Don't Miss Your Water 'til Your Well Runs Dry!"
Good Ol' Persons
San Francisco circa 1975
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 02:38 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS after edit time window . . . make sure filter at pump is clean.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:51 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
PS after edit time window . . . make sure filter at pump is clean.

Good point. ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Numerous reports of gunk and debris clogging filters. Easy to remove, clean, and replace.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:02 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
For what it's worth, the pump can run dry as it is nothing more than a rubber bladder moving back and forth. Three is no friction to keep cool, as in the macerator.

Are you sure there was really low pressure at the campground? Did you confirm that at the faucet? The reason I ask is because if you only presumed it was low, could there be something in the line that is making it that way. If that's the case, that would also keep the pump from priming. I'd confirm at the faucet that the pressure really was low there. It may help in the diagnosis.

If there is sufficient water in the fresh water tank, and it doesn't shut off after a few seconds, then definitely something is wrong. If this is new unit, I would suspect pex shavings or other debris from the tank in the filter in front of the pump. It's not hard to remove and clean. If that's not it, there could be a leak or blockage in the line so it can't prime.

Good luck figuring it out!
Old 08-26-2018, 02:14 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
For what it's worth, the pump can run dry as it is nothing more than a rubber bladder moving back and forth. Three is no friction to keep cool, as in the macerator.

Are you sure there was really low pressure at the campground? Did you confirm that at the faucet? The reason I ask is because if you only presumed it was low, could there be something in the line that is making it that way. If that's the case, that would also keep the pump from priming. I'd confirm at the faucet that the pressure really was low there. It may help in the diagnosis.

If there is sufficient water in the fresh water tank, and it doesn't shut off after a few seconds, then definitely something is wrong. If this is new unit, I would suspect pex shavings or other debris from the tank in the filter in front of the pump. It's not hard to remove and clean. If that's not it, there could be a leak or blockage in the line so it can't prime.

Good luck figuring it out!

Good point: on my last trip the Camco filter on the hose pipe had become almost totally blocked and for a while I had assumed the water pressure was low.
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Good point: on my last trip the Camco filter on the hose pipe had become almost totally blocked and for a while I had assumed the water pressure was low.
How old was the filter, and did you have to use it in locations where the water was bad/gritty/etc. in some way? Like a really rural campground with its own well water supply?

Thanks,

Peter
Old 08-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
So... we ran our water pump and it ran beyond having water in the tank... this is because we had super low water pressure in the campground so we had both the pump and the city water going <<SNIP>>
Quote:
Slight correction, most Airstreams are set up so the water pump can boost low pressure from city water. Check owner's manual. <<SNIP>>
I think you misunderstand the term "boost" as used in the manual.

Since the pump only draws water from the tank, nowhere else, if the outflow pressure from the pump is higher pressure than city water pressure the backflow preventer will be activated. Inward flow from city water would not be allowed.

I think the manual is misleading. Flow is not boosted in the sense that the pump is drawing from two sources. Pressure inside the trailer is increased only by the pump drawing water from the tank.

(at least it is this way in the several Airstream trailers I have owned)
Old 08-26-2018, 08:32 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
edit my post above:
The term "boost" is not even used (in the manual I checked just now). It specifically says if the pump is turned on while connected to city water to increase pressure to "make sure there is some water in the tank".
Old 08-26-2018, 09:56 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
How old was the filter, and did you have to use it in locations where the water was bad/gritty/etc. in some way? Like a really rural campground with its own well water supply?

Thanks,

Peter

It was replaced towards the end of last year and hardly used by the time I started using it again this year. Who knows what campground water is like!
However, unlike the OP, I never hook up to the city water connection, just fill the tank as required, so the slow flow was immediate noticed!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Weird, good thing you had the filter in-line!