Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2015, 03:00 AM   #1

2015 20' Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
houston , Texas
Water leaks from frig

I have a new Interstate Grand Tour with the large refrigerator freezer. Noticing periodic water on the floor at the base of the frig ... Enough to soak a pretty good sized towel. Is the freezer condensation drained with a hose or is there something I need to empty?
DDTEXVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:11 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
In-use or between uses? I've never had water on the bottom of my Nova Kool all-in-one fridge/freezer in use, but do have it between uses, because there is no drain. I put a towel down on the bottom of the fridge to catch any melt-water when I shut mine off.

Your separate fridge and freezer in your Grand Tour might be different, but I doubt it.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
I think your refer is defrosting, something modern HOME refers do automatically when operating. Our INTERSTATEs try to use little power, so there is no defrosting fan in my refer.
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 04:21 AM   #4

2015 20' Flying Cloud
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
houston , Texas
Thanks to all. Hard to believe that Airstream didn't figure a way to drain the condensation plan at the top of the frig. There is a slide pan that collects condensation and needs to be manually drained or else it is going to slosh. We head out for a month this week and will report back if periodic emptying isn't the cure.

Safe travels!
DDTEXVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Are you sure it is self-defrosting?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Binghamton, New York , New York
Wet Fridge

First thing, complain to Airstream. However, there should be a panel switch near the unit that expels excess heat and moisture through a side vent in the unit. Turn it on and leave it on - or leave it on when you are stationary.
Pursuit 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:26 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuit 97 View Post
First thing, complain to Airstream. However, there should be a panel switch near the unit that expels excess heat and moisture through a side vent in the unit. Turn it on and leave it on - or leave it on when you are stationary.
I don't think the all-electric Nova Kool refrigerators in the Interstates have a switch like that. Mine has exactly one control, a dial on the back wall of the fridge for setting the temperature.
Old 05-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I can't tell from the pics of the Grand Tour but it almost appears the frig and freezer are stacked units but there would still need a connection between the two in order to cool the frig unit. But I doubt there's an auto defrost on the freezer. Just wouldn't be very efficient.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
Old 05-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
it almost appears the frig and freezer are stacked units but there would still need a connection between the two in order to cool the frig unit.
Not necessarily. Nova Kool makes freezer-only and refrigerator-only models, so they don't have to be interconnected at all.
our line up

But I'm not an expert on the Grand Tour installed systems, so I don't know for sure.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Madison , Alabama
I have a Norc old 110/12 V refer in our motorcoach that works exactly this way. No A/S fault in this case. It takes days or weeks for the refer to build up much frost. At the end of a trip, when you turn the refer off, the frost melts. Empty the catch pan or blot it. Put towels in the freezer & wipe all sides of the freezer box, it will all be wet. If you don't do this you will have left a lot of moisture in your refer. It will start to stink !
Final ttip: leave the refer door open after drying the water.
Mold likes wet,closed, dark, RV refers.
Let's Roll !
Wolf
Wolf Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Not necessarily. Nova Kool makes freezer-only and refrigerator-only models, so they don't have to be interconnected at all.
our line up

But I'm not an expert on the Grand Tour installed systems, so I don't know for sure.
I kind of thought about that with a unit being a refrigerator like in our model and then a separate standalone freezer above it. It's hard to tell from the pictures online though.