Old 06-10-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
san francisco , California
Water Leak on Sliding Door

Noticed a small water leak on the sliding door. From what i can see, the water intrusion is coming from the bottom of the window that cranks open. My thought would be to apply some clear caulking around the edge of where the window seals against the door. Does that make sense or should I take another approach?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
san francisco , California
Here are some pictures. Two from the inside where you can see a faint water trail and one from the outside where there is a slight bubbling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	window interior 1.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	240409   Click image for larger version

Name:	windows interior 2.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	240410  

Name:	window exterior.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	240411  

Old 06-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
My 2011 leaked from day one from that same window at the same exact location. If I remember, I was told they had a recall on it under warranty (but to be honest, I didn't care because it was under warranty. They had a dealer replace the window but it continued to leak. When I was up at Jackson Center, for a week, having them fix a multitude of issues, one was the window. The tech who replaced it told me they sent the dealer a window with the wrong window gasket.

They replaced it, again. This time, it seems to have fixed the leak.

I would not suggest trying to use a sealer. It likely won't fix your problem.

I would suggest you give them a call and see if one, there was recall and two, if they can send you a correct gasket or replacement window. Take a look at the lower front corner with the window open. You will likely see that gasket has pulled away from the side of the frame, and that's where the water is coming inside. Or, it may be coming in near the handle and rolling down. That, again, if I recall correctly, was the problem with the recalled window, although too much time as passed to remember if that is true or not. In any event, it obviously shouldn't leak.

Good luck!
Old 06-10-2015, 09:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Now I'll have to check my gasket but have never had a leak. 2011s rule

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
For another leak, be sure to check that the AC is tightened down to prevent leaks. During a dawn rainstorm, it started raining inside. I discovered the installer had only hand tightened the AC on the roof. It's held in with screws that pull down on the top unit, and there's only a narrow foam pad that surrounds the perimeter. The problem is the roof isn't flat, so if it's not tight, it will leak. AS put a minimal amount of sealer around these areas, but obviously, not enough. I tightened it down and added a bit more from the underside as well.

Just a heads up. Literally.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
I would also look at the top of the window. Sometimes evidence of a leak at the bottom is due to poor seal at the top and sides of the frame. Prove it by taping the window frame before a rainfall

JCW
Old 06-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
In the third picture above, what is the purpose of the black bubbled piece? Just decorative? Is the leaky seal that was replaced the rubber piece just above the bubbled area?
Old 06-15-2015, 11:54 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Reno , Nevada
I had the same leak in my 2012 Lounge, and it was really bad - I drove through an expensive RV wash (Jackson Rancheria in CA) and it leaked a real flood inside. The local authorized Airstream dealer ended up having to replace entire 3-panel sliding door window assembly TWICE, and it still has a tiny leak. I hoped they would replace the inside fuzzy panel, but thankfully it dried out without much evidence of the leak. Seems like a faulty design on the part of the window mfr allowing for water ingress.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:55 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieTheWire View Post
I hoped they would replace the inside fuzzy panel, but thankfully it dried out without much evidence of the leak.
You're lucky. I'm going to have to replace my fuzzy panel. It swelled at the bottom and curled a bit so that there's a permanent gap between the bottom of the panel and the door.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:42 PM   #10

2013 Interstate Coach
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcmick View Post
Here are some pictures. Two from the inside where you can see a faint water trail and one from the outside where there is a slight bubbling.
I currently have the exact same leak in my 2013 Interstate. What did you do to get this fixed? Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. This is my first post on this forum. I appreciate all the information.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsaid7 View Post
I currently have the exact same leak in my 2013 Interstate. What did you do to get this fixed? Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. This is my first post on this forum. I appreciate all the information.
Take it to a dealer. The gasket needs replaced. I had mine done twice. Once at a dealer, who used the wrong gasket (because that is what AS sent) and once at Jackson Center, who figured it out and replaced it again, this time with the correct one.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
Bottom center of the mouse-hair was wet. Jackson Center removed and replaced window but it still leaked somewhere. Removed mouse hair door panel and found the leak was around the outside door handle. I compare my door handle to that of other vans. Could not figure out how/why mine leaked and others didn't. Haven't been to a MB dealer to have them check it out.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:35 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Framingham , Massachusetts

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1474781640.357542.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	272295
I also noticed a leak similar to the OP.