Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Ralph & Shin

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Frederick , Maryland
Water Leak on Floor Between Bathroom and Seat

We just completed our first AS Rally, and discovered a water leak on the floor between the seat and the bathroom wall. It appears (not really sure) that whether you turn on water by flushing the toilet, or running water from the bathroom sink or even from the galley sink, water leaks out.

Since we purchased our Interstate in June we've exercised the different systems including water, filling up all the tanks then flushing them including the toilet, without seeing any leaks.

We'll be turning it in for warranty service this weekend, but was wondering if anyone in the forum has had similar experiences?

BTW, the rally was at the American Legion Post in Crisfield, Maryland a great place with a water front on the Chesapeake and very affordable!
WBCCI #6954

Rsknutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsknutson View Post
We just completed our first AS Rally, and discovered a water leak on the floor between the seat and the bathroom wall. It appears (not really sure) that whether you turn on water by flushing the toilet, or running water from the bathroom sink or even from the galley sink, water leaks out.
That's a new one. Where you're describing the leak as appearing, there isn't anything to leak except the water line for the toilet, and the black tank.

So, my guess is that one of the fittings on the line leading to the toilet is damaged or improperly connected, or else the line itself has a hole or split in it.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #3
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
My van had water under the oven/microwave - figured it was major since water pump is there - pulled the drawer out couldn't figure it out; took the access panel out behind curb passenger seat - everything looked good. wasn't there next time I used sink or shower. . . .

Fast forward 10 days; water in same spot. . . hmmm

Opened fridge (we had emptied it the night before because we just came home from 14 day trip. - there it was - defrosting. Checked the Batteries (10.7v)

Then I realized that the leak 10 days earlier occurred at same time my batteries were dead from two days of operation w/o shore power or generator.

Not sure your issue is same - but appears our 'smart' systems shut down the refrigerator when batteries get too low and thus - defrost

Another reason to get my batteries and solar upgraded.

(of course this may not be your issue - but check the fridge)
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Ralph & Shin

Frederick , Maryland
Fridge and freezer have been working great and batteries fully charged. My initial call to the service tech I was asked if I had heard the water pump turn on by itself, which we did not. We'll share what the dealership discovers next week.

Been wondering if a tour of the plant to see how they put these Interstates together would be insightful, anyone ever been?
WBCCI #6954

Old 09-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
My initial call to the service tech I was asked if I had heard the water pump turn on by itself, which we did not.
That is the sad part for me; my water pump cycles pretty regular at 7 minute interval; (I leave it off for now until I need water) so I'm sure there is a leak somewhere - I just can't figure out where. So while I was glad that the water I saw could be traced to the fridge; it didn't solve my pump cycling problem, and hidden leak.

- if anyone knows a way to try and find the source of my water pump cycle problem (i.e. hidden leak) I'd love to have input.

Troubleshooting steps anyone?
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
That is the sad part for me; my water pump cycles pretty regular at 7 minute interval; (I leave it off for now until I need water) so I'm sure there is a leak somewhere - I just can't figure out where. So while I was glad that the water I saw could be traced to the fridge; it didn't solve my pump cycling problem, and hidden leak.

- if anyone knows a way to try and find the source of my water pump cycle problem (i.e. hidden leak) I'd love to have input.

First, make sure low point drains are tightly closed.

Mine had a loose fitting on the inlet side. Didn't leak, but it lost prime overnight. Your problem is different. So, start right at the pump, on the outlet side. Then follow the line wherever it goes.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
MILATV, mine cycles regularly too, but not every 7 mins. Perhaps once an hour? Not frequently enough for me to time it really. Annoying but I think (or hope) harmless. I'm assuming it's a weak valve in the pump not holding the back pressure since I've never seen any sign of a leak and it has done this for the full two years I've owned it.

After sanitizing and draining the fresh water tank and the hot water tank, I had a MUCH more frequent cycling problem. Turned out I had not re-installed the hot water tank drain plug securely so it had a slow leak at the drain plug. If you happen to have had your hot water tank plug out you might check it for a leak.

As far as the original posters problem, I'm with Protagonist, betting on toilet water supply line but that's just a guess.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post

I don't know how things are laid out in your model but in my Twin floorplan, almost every part of the plumbing system is accessible. Some if takes some work to access or view the tubing, connectors, etc. but it can be done. My advice is: do what ever it takes to find the leak as serious damage can result if you don't fix it.

Good luck,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
BTW, the rally was at the American Legion Post in Crisfield, Maryland a great place with a water front on the Chesapeake and very affordable!
Off topic, but: our unit did a rally there a while back. You're right, it's a great spot!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #10
Ralph & Shin

Frederick , Maryland
Thought folks might want a follow up about the water leak leak we had several weeks ago during our first rally. Apparently was caused by a faulty installation of the vent cap on the roof. The technicians did give a close inspection of the plumbing throughout but couldn't find any leaks. Only when they showered the roof did they see water dripping down around the vent pipe. Obviously the point where the water leak collected allowed the water to pool up without detection, sInce hadn't rained for over a week. Moral of the story...add the roof as a point of inspection periodically. I've got another story, but for different thread; its electric
WBCCI #6954

Old 10-14-2013, 06:36 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Vent Cap Leaks

Quote:
Thought folks might want a follow up about the water leak leak we had several weeks ago during our first rally. Apparently was caused by a faulty installation of the vent cap on the roof. The technicians did give a close inspection of the plumbing throughout but couldn't find any leaks. Only when they showered the roof did they see water dripping down around the vent pipe. Obviously the point where the water leak collected allowed the water to pool up without detection, sInce hadn't rained for over a week. Moral of the story...add the roof as a point of inspection periodically. I've got another story, but for different thread; its electric
While working on my solar upgrade and removing the upper panel inside my curbside wardrobe I noticed there was daylight coming in from the cap along side the gray water tank vent pipe. I ended up pulling both vent caps as it was obvious that they were not sealed and could allow water to leak in, especially during heavy rains. The first attached photo is the black tank vent with cap removed. The vent pipe didn't even extend above the roof. The crescent shaped area with the rust line is just a wide open gap of about 1/4 inch with no sealant. I extended the vent pipe with part of a PVC elbow to get the top of vent pipe up and centered into cap as required by vendor as seen in second photo. Then I sealed it with butyl tape and Sikaflex before reinstalling a new lower profile white cap.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside Tank Vent.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	297.4 KB
ID:	197856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extended Vent Pipe.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	197857  

Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote