Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2016, 08:36 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Water leak in bathroom and hallway

We have a water leak that seems to be coming from two different locations: 1) on the left side of the toilet; and 2) seeping out into the hallway to the left of the bathroom door (not at the bathroom door itself, to the left of it). However, it's possible that the actual water leak is coming from one location, but pooling based on the leveling of the AI when parked. Although I cannot see how/where water would leak from the toilet area out into the hallway, since the toilet seems to be sealed and water ends up down at the drain on the floor.

We have a 2014 AI.

The amount of water indicates a slow leak, although it can accumulate to several ounces per day. And, making it more difficult for me, it's not consistent when and where. I have tried disconnecting city water, then going on just city water, so it doesn't appear to be the water pump, although still not sure.

It has started to erode the finish of the trim work at the bottom of the bathroom door.

There is an access panel to the left of the bathroom with two screws at the bottom. I removed the two screws, but I was not able to pry out the access panel, so I don't know what is behind it.

Has anyone had a similar issue where they might be able to give some insights?

We are presently 2 weeks into a 4 week trip and I doubt there are any service centers open nearby to fix this today, so tomorrow will likely be our earliest opportunity.
BrianKrueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I would look at the toilet flush valve.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Fresh water only, or any evidence of a black water component to it? I reckon your description and reaction would indicate as much if it were so, but just to be sure...
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Be sure the pipes leading to your toilet have not come loose.

Maggie
Old 05-15-2016, 09:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Smile

If yours is built similar to my 2011, there are two possibilities.

First, check to see if there is any water behind the toilet that shouldn't be there. No likely, but inspect it and see. If you don't flush the toilet, does it still leak? While there is a possibility it could be leaking from the area where the flush goes, that is very unlikely.

The cold water line comes in from the streetside under the sink area, then it goes down, under the floor, to the back of the toilet area. They likely put two 90 degree bends when it was plumbed where it comes up to the valve on the toilet. It could be leaking at any one of these three junctions. Mine does not a have an access panel, but you can access the area in my 2011 by removing the vent cover on the front of the bath stall in mine. I'm not sure what access panel you refer to. A picture may help. If you are referring to the panel that is facing streetside, at the bottom of the goofy swing out door to the left of the actual entry door to the shower, that is not an access panel and it cannot be removed. At least not without disassembling the whole shower stall. However, access to the area that is likely leaking can be done by removing the plastic vent cover screwed to the front of the shower that goes from the bottom to the top.

The other possibility, if your van is leaning curbside, is that there is a leak on the other side, and the water is traveling down the hole the fresh water line under the floor.

The only way to figure it out is to start looking. You could park the van with it leaning curbside, and if the leak gets worse, then it's option number 2. If it does not, then likely it is the first case and you will find your leak there.

My best guess it is more likely the area that is just under and behind the toilet.

To fix it, you will have to remove and replace the fittings that are leaking. That will require specialized pex tools to crimp the fittings, and crimps. You can get them at Lowes. It's takes a bit of detective work to find and fix it, but it's not that hard to do.

Or, better yet, take it to a dealer. It's still in warranty.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:35 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Leak

It is a fresh water leak. I cannot tie it directly to flushing to the toilet, at least not in the minute or two directly after a flush. The more I look at it, I suspect it could be a leak on the toilet water supply line, although I still cannot find it. I don't have the technical skills or tools to remove the toilet or its lines, so will probably take it to an RV service center somewhere tomorrow if I can find one.

Thanks to all for your input.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Hallway

...that all said, I still don't understand how the water can get from the back of the toilet out to the hallway, unless there is a gap/seam in the toilet area that is not properly sealed.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
My 2015 FC water connections are all pex copper crimp bands. I currently have a small leak in one of those connections. I have ordered a pocket pex crimp tool, and some extra bands and tubing, that I plan to take with me on trips just in case.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianKrueger View Post
It is a fresh water leak. I cannot tie it directly to flushing to the toilet, at least not in the minute or two directly after a flush. The more I look at it, I suspect it could be a leak on the toilet water supply line, although I still cannot find it. I don't have the technical skills or tools to remove the toilet or its lines, so will probably take it to an RV service center somewhere tomorrow if I can find one.

The area it is liking leaking is behind the toilet and it isn't necessary to remove the toilet to access these lines. All you have to do is remove the plastic vent cover on the side opposite the toilet. It is easy, risk free, and gives you access to this area. It is just screwed on with phillip head screws. If you have a screwdriver, just unscrew all around the perimeter of the plastic grey cover and set it aside.

However, with that being said, it does take some technical skill to repair pex pipe. So you probably would be better off taking it to a dealer. In the meantime, only connect with the pressurized water supply when you must do so. I would not connect at all until it's fixed if it was me. A slow leak is not a good thing to have.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:

I had a leaking toilet flush valve last year. The plastic housing was cracked form freezing water since I forgot to completely winterize the toilet and we had a really cold spell here in Maryland. My leak was not from flushing it was from just pressurizing the water line to the toilet.

Don't know how it gets into the hallway. Could be seal at toilet base.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:20 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Toilet flush valve (the probable culprit) is the weakest link in your fresh water plumbing.

Q's: Are you using a pressure reducer when hooked up to city water?? Do you have a water pressure gauge?? It removes all doubt about city water pressure. BTW - City water pressure is need-to-know info.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-Pl...IWTG/100175467

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:54 AM   #12
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Thetford toilet flush valves often have a short life. I replaced one last July. The replacement is now leaking.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 01:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomKirk View Post
Toilet flush valve (the probable culprit) is the weakest link in your fresh water plumbing......

Tom

Agree with this and when I was looking for one last spring the local RV parts places were out of stock. I had to order from Amazon to get one. Fortunately if the leak is contained in the toilet/shower area it is easy to deal with and poses no big issue.

But a leak outside the bath area is a problem.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #14
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
I had a similar leak from behind toilet and it would pool out in the hall. 2 ideas to try:
1. My leak was coming from the casual hand tighten pex to 1/2" threaded fitting on the toilet valve. It would leak when I first set up camp, then stop. I replaced the fitting, still leaked. Finally discovered it leaked when I first turned on the water heater and the cold water expanded, increasing the pressure. Leaving a dripping faucet while setting up camp was solution.
2. Try putting air pressure in your lines. Air will leak faster than water and there is no mess. Listen and you may hear a hiss from the leak in unexpected location. Use soapy water in a spray bottle to check lines and fittings. Bubbles will show the leak.
Good luck!
Brad
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #15
Roving Sewist

2003 25' Safari
Sanger , Texas
I have replaced TWO modules outside water is screwed into to

The TWO water leaks I have had were very similar, behind the toilet AND in the hallway.

Both times it required replacing the module with outside water hookup. Did not require removing toilet, just a person removing a panel on the inside and another person on the outside.
DotTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:02 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Still trying to isolate the problem...

...and we have it narrowed down to possibly two things:

1. The bathroom sink (we haven't used it since and haven't had a leak since).

2. The water heater (we haven't used it and haven't had a leak).

The next time we hook up to electric, we will do it with the water heater on. If that doesn't produce the leak, we will try to isolate it to the sink in the bathroom.

One other point of note is that a recent RV park stay they said they had extremely high water pressure (160 PSI if I remember correctly). I'm wondering if that might have been the start of the problems, since it seems to occur intermittently.

Thanks for all of the input.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:54 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
One other point of note is that a recent RV park stay they said they had extremely high water pressure (160 PSI if I remember correctly). I'm wondering if that might have been the start of the problems, since it seems to occur intermittently.

160 PSI would be bonkers - my regulator gauge doesn't even go up that high. Where was the park located - at the bottom of a canyon half way down to China?

Here's a pic of a warning sign I saw in one park, and the corresponding measured pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151214_PRESSURE_DUO.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	262716  
Old 05-18-2016, 06:20 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
For what it's worth, I haven't hooked up to city water since Doug died...I have too much trouble getting connections tight enough to prevent leaks, then loosened to remove them.

And then, there's the water pressure issue, one more thing to deal with outside in inclement weather, and ease/convenience of hookup and departure when one is only dealing with electricity.

I keep one of those space-reducing green hoses in my rear compartment, and it takes just a few minutes to top off the fresh water tank when needed, from whatever potable water source.

These are not recommended for hookups, but we have been using one of these for fresh water fills for years without any problem.

I like always having a good supply of fresh water when traveling, because you never know....

Maggie
Old 05-18-2016, 08:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
...and we have it narrowed down to possibly two things:

1. The bathroom sink (we haven't used it since and haven't had a leak since).

2. The water heater (we haven't used it and haven't had a leak).

The next time we hook up to electric, we will do it with the water heater on. If that doesn't produce the leak, we will try to isolate it to the sink in the bathroom.

You can access the sink in the bath by removing the four screws on the access panel on the rearside bath wall under the wardrobe. The sink has hoses that are simply screwed on. You can easily inspect, and tighten them. You can also inspect the drain line under the sink.

High pressure would likely leak on the other side of the van, near the water inlet located on the side of the van. It supposedly has a built in pressure regulator, but mine leaked on more than one occasion, and on inspection, I found that it is a cheap plastic device, held together with four screws, and every one was loose, allowing it to leak under high pressure. I since tightened them, and now use a brass regulator on the outside as well. I would not trust that plastic part to withstand high pressure.

I doubt the water heater has anything to do with it. Too far away from where the water is showing up.

Good luck!
Old 05-19-2016, 05:07 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Increasingly, I'm with Maggie on this one, although our reasons might differ somewhat. I haven't hooked up to city water since December 2015. If I'm traveling with my kid (female teens are water hogs), or if I don't like the campground and I'm planning to shower in the Interstate, sure - hook up both city water and have a continuous open gray water connection. But otherwise, the fresh tank is the way to go. In the spirit of "use it or lose it", the best way to keep tank slime from getting out of control is to cycle frequently (fill, use, purge the residual, with chlorine shocks about every fifth cycle). I can't do that if I'm on city water.