Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2016, 07:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Water heater question

Is there a reason why my water heater would not be working after dewinterizing? I did not connect city water, only used the tank to dewinterize. I'm hoping that's the reason and it is not broken...
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1458438922.103041.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  78.8 KB

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
Is there a reason why my water heater would not be working after dewinterizing? I did not connect city water, only used the tank to dewinterize. I'm hoping that's the reason and it is not broken...Attachment 259076
Have you looked at your fuses? There is also one located on the control board which is accessed thru the outer door. It's in the upper right hand side of the W/H.

No 12VDC control voltage to the board……no water heater!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:32 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
You probably already checked these but the two things I would suggest are if you are on LP gas, make sure you have the LP solenoid switch turned on back behind the rear dual on passenger side. Also make sure the water heater bypass valve is turned off. It is a small yellow handle located under the rear lounge on the driver's side. Not the easiest thing to reach but if you have small hands you can get to it.
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Water heater question

Simple things first:
What BurntAsphalt said above plus the following:
Fill tank with fresh water, then "prime" the hot water tank and lines by turning on the water pump and opening the faucets on the hot setting to ensure all the air is out of the pipes and tank.
Then test the water heater by either using the electric heater (electric water heater switch on); you will need to be plugged into shore power. Or test the gas water heater by using the gas heater switch. But I see from your photograph your propane level is showing red - empty or almost empty. So have it filled! And let us know.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
What the previous posters said plus generator power will also support the electric side of the water heater.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:40 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Great Falls , Virginia
Turned the bypass on and all of my water flooded out of the water heater... I hadn't realized that they removed the plug when it was Winterized. 😕 I was able to fill up the tank again but still no hot water coming through. I will have to take it in to AS for list of things now. Good thing I have a back up shower at a friend's.

AI Facebook Group

k9jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 03:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by k9jackie View Post
Turned the bypass on and all of my water flooded out of the water heater... I hadn't realized that they removed the plug when it was Winterized. �� I was able to fill up the tank again but still no hot water coming through. I will have to take it in to AS for list of things now. Good thing I have a back up shower at a friend's.
So the water heater tank has been empty up up to this point? You might want to have the dealer go through all of the systems with you. Also recommend reading the owners manual thoroughly to avoid things like this in the future.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:13 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
On thing to be careful of is turning on the heater when it is not full of water. If you ever turn on the electrical heating element when there is no water in the tank (I.e.when it is winterized) the heating element will destroy itself.

I always throw the breaker when the trailer is winterized and tag it so I remember to turn it back on again!

Check your breakers...?

Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
No lp gas. Will it work on electric?
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 08:49 PM   #10
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Bruce. Throwing breaker is Great idea! I barely use hot water so sometimes forget it's drained and bypassed! Post it note in cabinet might help too so I don't fire it up on gas!

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:08 AM   #11
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Bruce. Throwing breaker is Great idea! I barely use hot water so sometimes forget it's drained and bypassed! Post it note in cabinet might help too so I don't fire it up on gas!
I turn off all the breakers every time I store the van, winterized or not. Just part of the "belt-and-suspenders" approach to ensuring I have only the minimum possible drain on the house batteries.

However, a post-it note stuck right to the control panel is an excellent idea as a reminder that the water heater is bypassed. Ever since I worked for the Corps of Engineers— and served on the Project Delivery Team to revise the last two editions of EM385-1-1, their Safety and Health Requirements Manual— I've been a big believer in lock-out/tag-out procedures. An RV has very few ways to lock out any electrical or propane system, and no good way to tag them out, either. Post-it notes next to the controls are the next best thing.