Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Due to the dark & cramped conditions under microwave and not knowing exactly how to remove the strainer screen, I just pulled entire Flowjet pump & strainer so I can work/see it better on the bench. Certainly dont need to do this on my next winterizing, now that I know where the clamps/latches are. Pics below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181113_153517.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	430.7 KB
ID:	327769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181113_153408.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	327770  

Name:	20181113_153426.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	327771   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181113_153443.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	495.6 KB
ID:	327772  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Due to the dark & cramped conditions under microwave and not knowing exactly how to remove the strainer screen, I just pulled entire Flowjet pump & strainer so I can work/see it better on the bench. Certainly dont need to do this on my next winterizing, now that I know where the clamps/latches are. Pics below.
+1 on removing pump screen. I had seen that advice in previous threads but never followed through due to the gyrations and dexterity required to unsnap it from the pump. This year while winterizing I finally took the time to take it out and was glad I did. The pump screen was covered with thick slime mixed with plastic bits (apparently from when they drilled holes in the freshwater tank)
BurntAsphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 06:51 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
Handy aid to help you winterize your outside faucet!

I recently reorganized my bags of cords etc. and came across a special connector that I purchased for winterizing the AI's outdoor faucet.

I couldn't recall seeing this mentioned before in any of the Winterizing threads so I'm going to pass this along for anyone interested next time you winterize!

It's a male Brass insert that fits into the quick connect valve of your outside faucet attached to a 10″ clear vinyl tube.

This helps you see immediately when the anti-freeze is flowing from your outside faucet without using your 15′ coil hose.....with less wasted antifreeze!

Bonus, it's only $8.75!

Maybe if you've been nice, Santa will leave one in your stocking!

Otherwise you'll have to order one yourself at;

https://www.dwincorp.com/product/spr...nterizing-aid/

Happy Holiday's!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV winterizing aid.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	383.6 KB
ID:	329955  
Old 12-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Saint Louis , Missouri
Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004B68XGC..._Y3CgCbRXSQJVE.
This fits in the hidden trunk in the back of my cargo area.

I bought this compressor based on RV Geeks recommendation. I also love tools and gave me a reason to buy it . RV Geeks also has a pretty good video, just not Airstream specific.

I want to use my AI any weekend I get the chance so having someone winterize for me is not an optionan. Plus if you get caught on the road in a freeze it's best you know how to do it.

It took me 30 mins the first time to setup everything and blow it out. I only add antifreeze to the drains not the fresh water lines.
CharlieOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 10:55 PM   #65
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieOscar View Post
I only add antifreeze to the drains not the fresh water lines.
No need for antifreeze in AI drains. They are waterless drains.

I use antifreeze only in the macerator by emptying tanks, putting a gallon into the toilet, and running the macerator until pink comes out of the hose. The rest of the system is blown out, including the outside shower and the tank flush.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:14 AM   #66
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post

I use antifreeze only in the macerator by emptying tanks, putting a gallon into the toilet, and running the macerator until pink comes out of the hose. The rest of the system is blown out, including the outside shower and the tank flush.
Hi

No waterless (= inline ) traps in the sink drains? That must stink to high heaven all the time .....

If you have them, the normal inline (waterless) traps do need antifreeze.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:12 AM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:

I am referring to sinks, toilet, i.e. for draining waste water. What other drains do you mean?
Old 12-19-2018, 07:49 AM   #68
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
I am referring to sinks, toilet, i.e. for draining waste water. What other drains do you mean?
The galley sink drain, bathroom sink drain, and shower drain all are waterless HEPVO traps (690603-01 Valve, Hepvo, Waste.) It does absolutely no good to pour antifreeze down those traps. These traps are like a rubber duck-bill where liquid can only pass in one direction. Antifreeze will simply pass through.

If you put anything special down those traps, a lubricant will help keep the traps from sticking during long periods of non-use. If they do stick, a plunger will break them free. My shower trap in my used 2014 was stuck from sitting on a dealer lot for some months. I broke it free by placing a rubber pad over the opening and pressing down.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:33 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig Rat View Post
I recently reorganized my bags of cords etc. and came across a special connector that I purchased for winterizing the AI's outdoor faucet.

I couldn't recall seeing this mentioned before in any of the Winterizing threads so I'm going to pass this along for anyone interested next time you winterize!

It's a male Brass insert that fits into the quick connect valve of your outside faucet attached to a 10″ clear vinyl tube.

This helps you see immediately when the anti-freeze is flowing from your outside faucet without using your 15′ coil hose.....with less wasted antifreeze!

Bonus, it's only $8.75!

Maybe if you've been nice, Santa will leave one in your stocking!

Otherwise you'll have to order one yourself at;

https://www.dwincorp.com/product/spr...nterizing-aid/

Happy Holiday's!

Thanks for sharing this. It would sure make winterizing easier. I'm going to get one And add it to my winterizing tool kit.

Merry Christmas [emoji320] and Happy New Year!!![emoji323]
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:39 PM   #70
2 Rivet Member

Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
The galley sink drain, bathroom sink drain, and shower drain all are waterless HEPVO traps (690603-01 Valve, Hepvo, Waste.) It does absolutely no good to pour antifreeze down those traps. These traps are like a rubber duck-bill where liquid can only pass in one direction. Antifreeze will simply pass through.

If you put anything special down those traps, a lubricant will help keep the traps from sticking during long periods of non-use. If they do stick, a plunger will break them free. My shower trap in my used 2014 was stuck from sitting on a dealer lot for some months. I broke it free by placing a rubber pad over the opening and pressing down.
Wow. Great bit of info. Definitely time and resource savings.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:13 AM   #71
2 Rivet Member

2019 19' Tommy Bahama
2019 25' Globetrotter
2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
opening the low drain valves, on-demand valves, and water pump quick connect inlet/outlet connections. They were all very tight, hard to turn, and hard to remove because it's all brand new. I was close to giving up on a couple of them.
I can't seem to turn the low point drain valves. Dumb question but, to open them, do I turn clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Any other tips for the pump quick connections? (I have a 2018 Tommy GT - my pump is under the fridge)
ChrisCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #72
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCow View Post
I can't seem to turn the low point drain valves. Dumb question but, to open them, do I turn clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Any other tips for the pump quick connections? (I have a 2018 Tommy GT - my pump is under the fridge)
CHRISCOW - CLOSE valve is CCW. OPEN/DRAIN valve is CW. As I posted earlier, those new valves are PITA to crack loose being so new and the little black knobs being so small. Can't help you with your under fridge location, because mine is under microwave. But the quick connects are the blue tabs. Squeeze and pull or push away from hose. See pics below and my other pics in prior posts. I cant help you with regards to how tight they are. They just are and you gotta deal with it. Wear gloves to protect from knuckle scrapes. I spent a looooong time to get it done, almost gave up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190103_130901.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	330984   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190103_130648.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	330985  

Old 02-03-2019, 09:02 PM   #73
2 Rivet Member

Saint Louis , Missouri
Don't forget to flush

Well, had done the air pressure winterization without antifreeze numerous times over the past several months with no problems. Went to Destin, winterized and came back to midwest. Temp got down to -3 recently. Well apprantly I forgot t push the flush valve or maybe didn't do it enough. The water supply valve assembly ruptured.

I've ordered a new one from Amazon and hopefully will have it installed this week. Thetford 31705 Aqua-Magic V Toilet Water Module Assembly https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UC1AYQ..._qH7vCb5Q7VC69
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190203_135127.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	332923  
Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 PM   #74
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Well, had done the air pressure winterization without antifreeze numerous times over the past several months with no problems. Went to Destin, winterized and came back to midwest. Temp got down to -3 recently. Well apprantly I forgot t push the flush valve or maybe didn't do it enough. The water supply valve assembly ruptured.
CHARLIEOSCAR - Ugh, sorry to hear this. Probably what caused your outdoor shower plumbing woes too? We just came back from Chicago. I never learned my lesson, to not go back there in January when it's -55 degrees below
Old 02-04-2019, 05:14 PM   #75
2 Rivet Member

Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
CHARLIEOSCAR - Ugh, sorry to hear this. Probably what caused your outdoor shower plumbing woes too? We just came back from Chicago. I never learned my lesson, to not go back there in January when it's -55 degrees below
I would agree with you on that. The outdoor plumbing was a leak that came with the AI when I bought it from the dealer used in November. I didn't hook up to water until Destin, although I did winterize before that. So it's unclear if it was a freeze incident before I bought it or just a bad fitting. The toilet.. now that's 100% my fault. I'm going to attempt to replace without removing the toilet. With mirrors and cus words I hope to accomplish this.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:37 PM   #76
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
I'm going to attempt to replace without removing the toilet. With mirrors and cus words I hope to accomplish this.
CHARLIEOSCAR - Best of luck on replacing without removal. I am pretty small person. If you anything over my height 5'5" it gonna be tight fit but I think doable. But just fyi, it's super easy to remove toilet & put back (2 bolts). If you do, great time to also clean/wash the innards of toilet and under the base and check all those areas. Also, best to have a new flange seal ready to replace old one if you do pull out toilet. I always carry one in van.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #77
2 Rivet Member

Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
CHARLIEOSCAR - Best of luck on replacing without removal. I am pretty small person. If you anything over my height 5'5" it gonna be tight fit but I think doable. But just fyi, it's super easy to remove toilet & put back (2 bolts). If you do, great time to also clean/wash the innards of toilet and under the base and check all those areas. Also, best to have a new flange seal ready to replace old one if you do pull out toilet. I always carry one in van.

Thanks, I was trying to avoid the process of breaking something else while trying to fix one thing. It's good to know it's not that bad of a job. I think that valve from Amazon comes with the flange seal too. Is there supposed to be silicone on the toilet base after your reinstall?
Old 02-04-2019, 07:05 PM   #78
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Thanks, I was trying to avoid the process of breaking something else while trying to fix one thing. It's good to know it's not that bad of a job. I think that valve from Amazon comes with the flange seal too. Is there supposed to be silicone on the toilet base after your reinstall?
CHARLIEOSCAR - I think they do from factory, at least they did in my 2018. (1st pic). AFAIK those of us who have removed the factory toilet and replaced with the porcelain have also done added some silicon sealing. I silicon the base where it meets floor and the joint between the base & bowl. (2nd pic). Both all-plastic and porcelain/plastic units have a joint between base & bowl.

Good luck on repair. Limited space is the worst part of it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Edit 20180922_151945.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	238.2 KB
ID:	332957   Click image for larger version

Name:	Edit 20180922_154149.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	332958  

Old 02-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #79
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
A few days ago, it was still winter with over 8" of snow. Winter's last hurrah. Now temps are ramping up to 60's.

This is my AI 1st winter. Looking back at my inside cabin temp history, it never got lower than 47° F inside the AI, even though outdoor (outside of garage) temps hit below 32° F overnight many times. It is not heated but it only has 1 wall adjacent to outside (and it's an insulated garage door, facing east). The north, south, west walls are sharing indoor living space. As reference, it was a cold Feb. winter. So it looks like I won't need to winterize (the indoor plumbing), maybe just winterizing the 3 tanks and undercarriage plumbing - under normal conditions. But I still plan to winterize annually just to be safe However, it is nice to know keeping it inside makes a big difference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190224_192556.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	334322  
Old 02-25-2019, 04:11 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . especially in reducing cold winds to nil . . .

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote