Old 10-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Viper vs Cobra security systems

Local Cobra dealer says Ciper and Covra are owned by same company security systems are virtually identical. I really like Cobra guy but I've read a lot about Viper. Thoughts......?

Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
Local Cobra dealer says Ciper and Covra are owned by same company security systems are virtually identical. I really like Cobra guy but I've read a lot about Viper. Thoughts......?
This is the first I've heard about Cobra car alarms even being available in the US. I thought they were the UK version of Viper. Oh, well… learn something new every day.

Anyway, there's another contender— Drone. (Drone Mobile Plans | Your Car, Connected..

I have the Viper system (Viper - Car Alarms | Remote Starters | SmartStart | Window Film and Tint | Vehicle Security | Keyless Entry) but in terms of recommending Viper or Drone I have no preference. I went with Viper because it was more convenient to get it installed at the time, not necessarily because it's a better system. There are variations in details, but in broad stokes they're more alike than different.

The important things to remember for either system are (in no particular order):
1 - Once the system is installed, you will not be able to unplug the chassis battery by using the plug down by the accelerator pedal. Unplugging the battery will trigger a "loss of power" alarm. That means you'll need to have it plugged into shore power so the chassis battery can be charged through the BIM, or else you'll need to drive the van every two or three weeks to keep the chassis battery charged.
2 - You don't really need the remote door lock module. Between the "glass break" sensor and the "door open" sensor, you're protected, and can still use the remote door lock built into your ignition key. But if you choose to add that module anyway, no harm done.
3 - By the same token, you don't really need the remote start module. Unless you expect to be blown up by a bomb in your Interstate, there's no particular need to start the engine without sitting in the driver's seat to do it. And besides, if you install the remote start module, the installer has to disable the ignition switch's RFID chip reader, thereby making the van LESS secure against theft by allowing it to be started and driven without a key. The Viper and Drone systems CAN be hacked by a tech-savvy thief!
4 - You absolutely don't need the proximity sensor module. The van is too big for that module to be effective anyway, and the stern "Step away from the vehicle" warning is more of an irritant than a deterrent.
5 - Put an alarm siren inside the vehicle tucked up under the dashboard. Most car alarm systems are less deafening to the thief inside the vehicle than outside, but having a 135dB alarm inside the vehicle in a hard-to-reach location is more likely to drive him out of the vehicle empty-handed. Unless he routinely listens to rap, in which case he's probably half-deaf anyway and the gawd-awful alarm noise won't hurt him.
6 - For the outside alarm siren, you've got lots of room under the vehicle, so put the siren somewhere under the vehicle (mounted to your front-door step bracket, perhaps?) instead of under the hood. It's just as loud, and harder to find and disconnect.

I didn't think of this when I had my system installed, but you might also want to see if the installer can add a "door open" sensor to the propane fill port cover as well as to all of the doors and the engine hood.

WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:24 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I MADE AN ERROR. It is Python that is supposed to be the same except for the remote.
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
2010 23' International
Joliet , Illinois
Hey Bobspriter

Viper and Python are both made by a company called Directed.

Directed - Car Alarms | Remote Starters | SmartStart | Telematics | Keyless Entry | GPS | Vehicle Security | Window Tint | Remote Start | Window Film

I used to do car alarms and remote starters WAAAY back in the day and installed many of these. Very good systems. If you have any trouble or need a new remote there are many dealers that carry some type of their products and should be able to help you when your on the road.
bel73 is offline   Reply With Quote