Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Very long tow in BC - turbo hose failure!

You can read the whole long story here: HELP! Looking at 576 mi. tow in BC - Sprinter-Forum but here is how things ended up for me:
Yesterday I collected a check for $2622.72 from the local Freightliner dealer. With the $830.40 I previously collected as reimbursement for body damage caused by the long tow that brings me to $3453.12 back from MB. I got everything I asked for except reimbursement for roaming charges ($200) for calls to/from MB Roadside Assistance and the tow operator. They even reimbursed me for the foreign transaction fees on my CC. Other than the delay and having to push so hard to get my expenses back, I'm OK with the outcome. As I mentioned earlier, I learned a lot from this experience. I'm now equipped with a SGII and even if I don't have it connected all the time, it will be one of the first things I do at any sign of anomalous behavior. I also have a collection of some fluids and common failure parts.

FYI, the trip was 6454 miles total (6443 first fill to last) and except for the turbo hose failure, it was a great trip and I still love my Sprinter based Interstate. Overall MPG was 17.98. Highest tank MPG=20.7; lowest=16.5. Not too bad for an 11K# vehicle. Highest $US/gal=5.711; lowest=3.699.

I'm talking to a FL dealer in OR about the ELW. Unfortunately, the ELW retains the feature that requires any service outside of US to be paid up front by the owner and submitted for reimbursement.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Will look forward to reading linked thread. Have read/heard/seen more than I like about Sprinter problems, but the design and performance is impressive (any of them, not just uber-nice A/S models) and I would enjoy having one. Thanks for the report.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:51 PM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
No reason that I know of NOT to have the ScanGaugeII connected all the time. I have mine displaying coolant temp, trans temp, oil temp and HP. There are probably more interesting readings to be had from the MB diesel and auto in the Sprinter.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
No reason that I know of NOT to have the ScanGaugeII connected all the time. I have mine displaying coolant temp, trans temp, oil temp and HP

That's because you have a Ford . . thus prudent to do so.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:13 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
No reason that I know of NOT to have the ScanGaugeII connected all the time. I have mine displaying coolant temp, trans temp, oil temp and HP

That's because you have a Ford . . thus prudent to do so.
Rather, it's because I'm a geek, and I like to have data I don't necessarily need. I'd have it if I had an OBD-II Cummins as well, with a different selection of readouts.

(and yes I understand the joke, but I'm a geek so I ruined it with an overly-precise response. )

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Rather, it's because I'm a geek, and I like to have data I don't necessarily need. I'd have it if I had an OBD-II Cummins as well, with a different selection of readouts.

(and yes I understand the joke, but I'm a geek so I ruined it with an overly-precise response. )
Nahh, I knew you'd get it. And I'll have the same and more (gauges) as funds permit. Longest life at lowest cost is all about information inputs and analysis tools (as we non-corporate access mortals can determine things). Don't need? How so (for another thread)?

I was first impressed by the Sprinter as a dealership conveyance of those of us having vehicle service done: to the house and back. The driver was young, inexperienced, and poorly trained/skilled (common). The Sprinters qualities in cornering and braking lent a great deal of confidence to those short drives.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #7
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
You can read the whole long story here: HELP! Looking at 576 mi. tow in BC - Sprinter-Forum but here is how things ended up for me:
Yesterday I collected a check for $2622.72 from the local Freightliner dealer. With the $830.40 I previously collected as reimbursement for body damage caused by the long tow that brings me to $3453.12 back from MB. I got everything I asked for except reimbursement for roaming charges ($200) for calls to/from MB Roadside Assistance and the tow operator. They even reimbursed me for the foreign transaction fees on my CC. Other than the delay and having to push so hard to get my expenses back, I'm OK with the outcome. As I mentioned earlier, I learned a lot from this experience. I'm now equipped with a SGII and even if I don't have it connected all the time, it will be one of the first things I do at any sign of anomalous behavior. I also have a collection of some fluids and common failure parts.

FYI, the trip was 6454 miles total (6443 first fill to last) and except for the turbo hose failure, it was a great trip and I still love my Sprinter based Interstate. Overall MPG was 17.98. Highest tank MPG=20.7; lowest=16.5. Not too bad for an 11K# vehicle. Highest $US/gal=5.711; lowest=3.699.

I'm talking to a FL dealer in OR about the ELW. Unfortunately, the ELW retains the feature that requires any service outside of US to be paid up front by the owner and submitted for reimbursement.
Finally read the linked thread. You've quite the "maturity" compared to many of the youngsters on go-fast, pimp-my-ride enthusiast boards!

That also looks like a good board. Any commercial users of the Sprinter making reports (IFTA mileage and the like)? Lewster here at AIR found his Sprinter (business use) to be great up to about 100k miles. Then recurring problems.

Tags
mb roadside assistance, turbo hose, warranty