Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
There's an update on Mike Wendland's Facebook page: to add to his pain it seems his insurance is balking on payout on the basis the thieves probably used an electronic device to open the doors. Their warped reasoning? No break-in suggests the Wendland's may have forgotten to lock up.


Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
That insurance co. will be in for some bad PR and loss of policies if they hold firm to that position. Look forward to see which insurance co. the Wendlands use.
__________________

__________________
Mario
2013 Interstate
2014 Little Guy 5x10 Silver Shadow
Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #30
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
There's an update on Mike Wendland's Facebook page: to add to his pain it seems his insurance is balking on payout on the basis the thieves probably used an electronic device to open the doors. Their warped reasoning? No break-in suggests the Wendland's may have forgotten to lock up.
That is self-contradictory reasoning.

As soon as the insurance company accepts that a device that mimics the RFID signal from a key could have been used to unlock the van— and such devices do exist according to news coverage I've found from television news station websites— they cannot also claim that the van was left unlocked to begin with. Sounds to me like the Wendlands need to hire an attorney and sue the insurance company— as well as getting a new insurance company before their present one drops their coverage in retaliation for being sued.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 03:48 PM   #31
Moderator
 
Stefrobrts's Avatar

 
1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,906
Images: 50
Blog Entries: 1
Why is leaving your vehicle unlocked weighed against the owner when someone gets into it and steals stuff? The person stealing stuff is the one breaking the law. I should be able to leave it wide open with the keys in it, and it is still mine, and anyone who touches it is still the person in the wrong.

This kind of thing makes me particularly angry because as a convertible owner, I never lock my vehicles. I learned a long time ago that the price of replacing anything in the vehicle (and usually there is nothing in there to steal) is less than replacing a cut soft top.
__________________
Stephanie




Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:15 PM   #32
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
This was discussed on the fb page....but it struck me as I read the comment.

The logic from the insurance is entirely flawed.

If owners wanted to fake the whole thing, they could simply break their own window.

I also highly doubt a policy will stipulate that say an accidental episode of leaving your vehicle unlocked will disqualify coverage from theft.

They have a photo of the likely suspect (one of perhaps 2 per the couple) and they have the two intruders on audio from their dash cam recording.

It really is unbelievable that the ins. company would balk like this. After hearing about the robbers, what they did, and how they spoke on recording about "the nice dog", and knocking before coming in, the ins. company seems far worse.
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:20 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
This has all got me to thinking...

Only my camera gear would be worth a quick grab, ...I guess the two small TV's could be ripped off the wall...we do not carry computers with us at this point, but I guess if we ever take longer trips that would happen. otherwise some desperate person could steal food...

Now I want to speak with my insurance company (progressive) and ask about my coverage for theft and review it in writing!

Also, I too will be reviewing the thought in my mind about storing my camera bag (for example) in a secretive place hard to access and/or locked up.
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #34
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Why is leaving your vehicle unlocked weighed against the owner when someone gets into it and steals stuff? The person stealing stuff is the one breaking the law. I should be able to leave it wide open with the keys in it, and it is still mine, and anyone who touches it is still the person in the wrong.

This kind of thing makes me particularly angry because as a convertible owner, I never lock my vehicles. I learned a long time ago that the price of replacing anything in the vehicle (and usually there is nothing in there to steal) is less than replacing a cut soft top.
Personally I agree with you. Should the vile miscreant be caught, he should still be convicted of burglary even if the vehicle was left unlocked since he entered the vehicle without permission and absconded with property that was not his.

However, insurance is not about criminal prosecution; it is about civil liability. If the insurance company can show that the owner was negligent in not safeguarding the insured goods, the policy contractually says that the company doesn't have to pay.

Problem is, it's entirely possible for a well-prepared burglar to gain entry to a Sprinter even without high-tech toys, and without leaving any evidence of forced entry. All he has to do is bend the top rear corner of the door out far enough to reach inside with a coat hanger, and pull up on the convenient lock button; this is how a Mercedes dealer gets into a Sprinter that has the keys locked inside— I watched them do it when a tow truck driver accidentally locked my keys in my van. The tool used to bend the door looked like an inflatable tube, slipped into the crack deflated, then inflated until the gap was wide enough. The door will flex far enough, and spring right back to its original position afterward without leaving any evidence of the break-in.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:29 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
PharmGeek's Avatar

 
2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,377
its worth pointing out that the same burglers busted a window out of a uhaul van in the same parking lot right after that....so it all seems annoying moot
__________________
“The atoms of our bodies are traceable to stars that manufactured them...We are not figuratively, but literally stardust.”


PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:34 PM   #36
Moderator
 
Stefrobrts's Avatar

 
1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 11,906
Images: 50
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
However, insurance is not about criminal prosecution; it is about civil liability. If the insurance company can show that the owner was negligent in not safeguarding the insured goods, the policy contractually says that the company doesn't have to pay.
That just seems ridiculous to me. That could cover anything from forgetting to lock your doors to parking in a bad part of town. The only way to truly safeguard it would be to lock it up in your garage and never use it. As you say, any crook can get in in a few seconds. Locks only keep out the honest people (or really lazy crooks).

I hope they name their insurance company, because I would want to steer clear of them. That is a terrible way to treat their customers, especially with all the evidence of a break in.
__________________
Stephanie




Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #37
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I hope they name their insurance company, because I would want to steer clear of them. That is a terrible way to treat their customers, especially with all the evidence of a break in.
In my book, contract law is a protection racket that would put mafia leg-breakers to shame. The only reason you ever need a lawyer in civil law is to protect you from another lawyer; and both lawyers get paid in full no matter who wins.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:02 PM   #38
Rivet Master
 
paiceman's Avatar

 
2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,433
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Bear spray in an enclosed area isn't a good idea......nor is spraying in an upwind situation.
Better than the alternative, I've used it, it works. Should not be windy inside the AS.
__________________
SAFE TRAVELS
2017 30' Classic - F350 6.7 Diesel Crew
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #39
BAB
Rivet Master
 
BAB's Avatar

 
2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,574
Fact is, if you have something nice (like a shiny Airstream or a cool Interstate), there are those who see that as a signal that there are goodies to be had. I also participate in the Lamborghini Forum. It would break your heart to hear the stories of owners who have had their car smashed out of sheer jealousy, meanness, or who knows what. There are rules that you follow to minimize these possibilities -- primarily situational awareness -- but if someone wants to steal it or trash it, there's not a lot you can do except keep it locked in your garage at home. Sad that our society is so uncivil, but there it is.
__________________
_________________
"SilverLeaf II" 2015 30' Classic
2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 CC w/6.7L Cummins
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 05:37 PM   #40
Moderator
 
jcanavera's Avatar

 
2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,002
Images: 143
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
As noted by others there is no way to prevent this situation other than not leave anything of value that is visible through the windows. These smash and grab thieves work so fast that in most cases they are gone before anyone can respond. When I read about these incidents I'm always surprised at the kind of items that were stolen and the fact that these people took no steps to conceal them. Then there are those who choose to do the concealment when they get out of the vehicle. The thieves in many cases are in the area and they watch you take the items and store them in hidden areas of your vehicle.

The real shame is that certain vehicle types are known treasure troves to thieves and to combat theft, you need to look at the environment where you are parking the vehicle. In one case we have seen motor homes that are kept in storage facilities as frequent targets. One person I know had the Airstream MH broken into twice. Once in the storage facility where they keep it and once in the dealer's fenced lot as it was waiting for service. In both cases these folks lost clothes, electronic devices, tools and other items in the basement storage, and physical damage as electronics were pried out of their enclosures. These thieves know that folks with motor homes keep a lot of stuff in them to avoid packing so they usually are the target of choice. Interesting in this case, none of the Airstreams were touched. The treasure trove was the Motor Home.

The other folks experiencing thefts are those visiting destination locales where parking for their longer vehicles is sparse. These folks in many cases park away from general parking facilities so the locations where they find may be isolated or makes their vehicle stand out. Again the thieves look for these vehicles since they know that these people are traveling and probably have their possessions in that vehicle.

I've had one theft in 45 years of camping and that was in Ocean Lakes campground in Myrtle Beach SC. In that incident I pretty much know who the thieves were but can't prove it. In that theft I lost a set of aircraft wheel chocks that my brother gave me, and the end caps on the rear bumper that secured my drain hose. The folks camped next to me had neither. They were packing up to leave as Patty and I left for the post office to mail some bills. Upon returning they and my items were gone.

Jack
__________________
Jack Canavera
STL Mo.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #41
Rivet Master
 
InterBlog's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,425
Going back to the OP's original inspiration for this thread, the Wendlands have now published this update. They chose a security system that I don't recall being talked about in any of the Sprinter and B-Van Forum threads - something called Canary. Unfortunately it appears to be highly dependent on cellular coverage at both ends of the equation (in the Class B, and in the owner's pocket). However for those folks who do not venture far off-grid, this might be an option to consider. It looks like it would cost significantly less than the Viper systems.
__________________
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:04 AM   #42
Rivet Master
 
UKDUDE's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,038
Advanced RV now offers a dead-bolt system on all the doors:
http://www.advanced-rv.com/introducing-arv-bolt-secure/
But the fact remains anyone can break a window and gain entry that way.
__________________

__________________
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What have you done to your 25'SS Airstream. Devoman SS model 13 10-21-2007 10:09 PM
What kind of uniqueness have you done? Alaska1966 Off Topic Forum 14 09-23-2007 10:28 PM
What would you have done? azflycaster Airstream Trailer Forums 19 11-29-2005 05:42 PM
What modifications have you done to your A/S? John Our Community 50 03-30-2003 11:25 PM
Have you ever done this?? thenewkid64 Our Community 18 10-12-2002 03:29 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.