Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Valve extensions

I searched first, with zero results,.... Anybody have experience with, or recommendations about using tire valve extensions?
I am also considering adding a tire pressure monitoring system. All comments are welcome. It is virgin territory for me.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by toskeysam View Post
I searched first, with zero results,.... Anybody have experience with, or recommendations about using tire valve extensions?
I am also considering adding a tire pressure monitoring system. All comments are welcome. It is virgin territory for me.
I use rigid valve extensions that I picked up at my Airstream dealer (they sell all manner of accessories, not just Airstream-specific). I forget the brand name. The straight extensions for the inner tires are about 4" long. The J-shaped extensions for the outer tires are not quite long enough by themselves, so I added 4" straight extensions to the J-shaped extensions as well.

I also got a 3-foot-long flexible extension for the spare, with the end of it fastened to the underside of the rear bumper, so I can check the air in my spare— and pump it up if necessary— without crawling underneath or cranking down the spare.

The rims do not take replacement valves with built-in TPMS. TPMS on the valve caps is not terribly practical on the valve extensions, either. However, there was a write-up in this month's Motorhome magazine, about a TPMS that attaches to the rim inside the tire, with a band that wraps all the way around the rim. The company is Valor TPMS (Valor TPMS), and one thing that I find interesting is that I can also get these inside-the-tire sensors added to the rims on my Honda toad without getting rid of the Honda's own TPMS. That would let me monitor the Honda's tires as well when it's hitched up. Having already had a blowout on my Honda while towing it, that's even more important to me than monitoring the Interstate's tires. I haven't contacted them for pricing yet; I just read the article yesterday.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I use the Borg Dually Valves which you can order from YOURTIRESHOPSUPPLY.COM. The ones you want are part no: DL1SPAL. I have used these on two rvs with no issues and they will easily support a tire monitor transmitter. For tire monitoring, I use the Truck Systems Technology 507RV system. I use it with 8 sensors including 2 for a small motorcycle trailer that I ocassionally pull. The system is easy to program, has user changable batteries and monitors both pressure and temperature with customizable alarm points.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I second this recommendation. I also use the extension valves and the TST TPMS. Works perfectly.

Gerald
Old 01-05-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Protag, tell us more about the flexible extension you rigged for your spare. Is it something you bought or made up?
Thanks much
Old 01-05-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Protag, I think I just found what you used. Is it called Check-A-Spare by Accu-Gage? Theirs is a 40" long hose with braided cover. 4/5 star review on Amazon.
Just orderd one of those on Amazon.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:43 PM   #7
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
Protag, I think I just found what you used. Is it called Check-A-Spare by Accu-Gage? Theirs is a 40" long hose with braided cover. 4/5 star review on Amazon.
Just orderd one of those on Amazon.
Sounds right.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:24 PM   #8
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Thanks Pro!
Old 01-05-2014, 09:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
@c21bill Did you get the "Flow Thru" sensors? Also.......will I need to get tires rebalanced for these light components?
toskeysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
I bought the standard sensors for a couple of reasons. 1st, I had read some opinions that the flow thru's are very large and not easy to use. 2nd, I take mine off between trips to save battery life. Usually my rv is in storage for a month or more at a time. You shoud rebalance the tires. I also had the fronts balanced at the same time, even though the factory front stems don't need to be replaced, and found they were quite a bit out of balance as were all 4 rears. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
I reinstall the sensors just before a trip after adjusting the air pressure in the tires.