Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-13-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Using table while in motion

Our dealer said the table was made to be used while in motion as well as while stationary, however the warning sticker on the pedestal seems to contradict this... Table seems quite sturdy and we have used it on long trips for kids to do homework, play games or eat, and they love it. Does anyone see any serious safety issue with using the table while in motion? Is the concern that the table top comes flying off in a collision?
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Do all table users have seat belts? If not then using in motion is a no-no. Just like using the bed in a class A to take a nap while in motion. NOBODY has ever done that.

Bob (AKA NOBODY)
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #3
SWH
4 Rivet Member

2021 Interstate 24GT
Cordova , Tennessee
Yes they all have seat belts
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
Our dealer said the table was made to be used while in motion as well as while stationary, however the warning sticker on the pedestal seems to contradict this... Table seems quite sturdy and we have used it on long trips for kids to do homework, play games or eat, and they love it. Does anyone see any serious safety issue with using the table while in motion? Is the concern that the table top comes flying off in a collision?

The forces in a collision will rip the floor mount screws right out of the plywood floor. Also the top will likely separate from the post and go flying into your windshield. But as Uncle Bob mentioned we have all done it. Be safe.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 05:55 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
In theory the table pedestal is not sturdy enough to survive a collision. It will break off at floor level, exactly as Boxster1971 says. But I am not a crash test dummy, and I have no idea how strong a collision is required to break the table off its floor mount.

However, the table is probably safer in a collision than the alternative, which would be lap desks that aren't attached to anything at all and will definitely go flying in a collision!

As long as all of the seats in the front half of the van are facing forward, and the table is only used in the rear of the van while the vehicle is in motion, then even if the table goes flying in a collision, the seat backs are more likely to get hit by a flying table than are the people in the seats. I wouldn't worry about the table hitting the windshield. A collision strong enough to send the table into the windshield is strong enough to render the van undriveable anyway, so your windshield would be the least of your worries.

For anyone who is particularly concerned about using the table while the vehicle is in motion, it might be a good idea to replace the heavy Corian tabletop with a lighter wooden tabletop, perhaps made of ¾" or ½" plywood, edged and surfaced. With a lighter tabletop, bending moment on the pedestal due to weight is reduced and the pedestal is less likely to rip free. And if the tabletop is lighter, the kids would have an easier time removing it if they needed to for emergency egress.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
If I had to guess (and it is just a GUESS) I would say that the table top is no more likely to become airborne in a collision than are the cabinets, TVs, and dozen of other objects whose attachments are designed to withstand 1g (gravity) and not the multiple g's of a collision.
I think we are far safer in the Mercedes-designed van structure of the Interstate) than in any body-builders Class B+ (Atlas), C, or A, airborne objects or not. I once saw a video of a rollover of a Class A. 2x2 sticks of wood flying every which way as the box structure disintegrated and all that remained was the rolling chassis.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I made a wonderful custom computer table that I had every intention of using while in motion.

However, until we upgrade our suspension, it remains a non-starter. Too much rough handling for the computer - the drop sensor will trigger and freeze the hard drive. For now, I do limited computing with the computer on my lap, until such time as the rough ride makes me car sick.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote