Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Upgrading from Tripplite to Magnum inverter/charger

I am interested in upgrading my 2012 Interstate to the Magnum unit the new ones have instead of the Tripplite mine came with. Curious about how the Magnum is situated under the back seat in a lounge model (mines the short version if that changes anything). Any one know any details about the swap? I'm hoping it is more or less a plug and play. If someone has pics of how their Magnum is hooked up back there that would be fantastic!

Thanks for any input.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
I am interested in upgrading my 2012 Interstate to the Magnum unit the new ones have instead of the Tripplite mine came with. Curious about how the Magnum is situated under the back seat in a lounge model (mines the short version if that changes anything). Any one know any details about the swap? I'm hoping it is more or less a plug and play. If someone has pics of how their Magnum is hooked up back there that would be fantastic!

Thanks for any input.
If anyone has a Twin model with the Magnum, I'd love to see pics!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I have a wardrobe lounge model and looked into it. It should be a fairly simple swap. The cutout for the remote happens to be exactly the same as the Triplite's and the ac/dc hookups are also identical. The unit mounts on the back panel. A close out would have to made where the Triplite inverter is currently located.

My biggest concern was the price-benefit ratio. I am not convinced it is worth it.

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Worth is relative! If you go with a Magnum MMS-1012, you get a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter and also get a 50 amp 4-stage charging section that is fully programmable to your battery bank size and type and features full temperature compensation for correct charging. DUMP YOUR CONVERTER !!!!!!

3 year full factory warranty on these MADE IN USA units, which are all fully field serviceable. A feature the cheap throw always can't match.

So is if worth it? They are the ONLY units I will sell or install. As a factory authorized service center for Magnum Energy, I also feel like the Maytag repairman........not many to fix 'cause they don't break much!

You decide!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Magnum Inverter/Charger

Attached photo of mine with Onyx interior. The Magnum is just bolted to the rear plywood panel of the compartment under the lounge seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1108104.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	422.6 KB
ID:	194784  
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Attached photo of mine with Onyx interior. The Magnum is just bolted to the rear plywood panel of the compartment under the lounge seat.
Mike,

Did you get the inverter only or the inverter/charger? Do you have the ME-RC remote?
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
ME-RC remote

Mine was built by Airstream in Oct 2012 and came with Magnum Inverter/Charger and the ME-RC remote. Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1118118.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	194789  
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Mine was built by Airstream in Oct 2012 and came with Magnum Inverter/Charger and the ME-RC remote. Photo attached.
That is the same as my 2014 EXT model.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
FWIW, Jim Parrett stated that the reason AS changed to the Magnum was the Tripp-Lite wasn't compatible w/ the new model Onan 2.5 generator.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
No doubt the Magnum is worth the money. I meant that since I rarely use the inverter anyway, the cost to replace the unit with the Magnum may not be economically justifiable.

If the Tripplite ever fails, then absolutely I would replace it with the Magnum.

Gerald

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Worth is relative! If you go with a Magnum MMS-1012, you get a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter and also get a 50 amp 4-stage charging section that is fully programmable to your battery bank size and type and features full temperature compensation for correct charging. DUMP YOUR CONVERTER !!!!!!

3 year full factory warranty on these MADE IN USA units, which are all fully field serviceable. A feature the cheap throw always can't match.

So is if worth it? They are the ONLY units I will sell or install. As a factory authorized service center for Magnum Energy, I also feel like the Maytag repairman........not many to fix 'cause they don't break much!

You decide!!!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:45 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Bernard , Maine
Tripp-lite inverter/charger upgrade

ThenTripp-lite RV 750 in our Airstream Avenue has fried. I’d like to put the replacement in the same cutout under our lounge, and not bother with a remote if it’s not necessary. Is the Magnum mma-1012 still a good option? Is there anything newer or better?
Mainiacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainiacs View Post
ThenTripp-lite RV 750 in our Airstream Avenue has fried. I’d like to put the replacement in the same cutout under our lounge, and not bother with a remote if it’s not necessary. Is the Magnum mma-1012 still a good option? Is there anything newer or better?
If it will fit, it's still a good option. I am not aware of anything better. Not long after my last post I replaced the Tripp-lite 750 with the MMS1012. The charger is worth the cost alone, as Lew pointed out. Now, I just leave it plugged into AC and forget about it without worrying the batteries will get fried as the Tripp-lite would do. I would recommend the ME-RC50 remote, however. It's not hard to mount it, and it allows you to program the unit, and monitor your energy usage.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainiacs View Post
Anne,

Sorry to hear you weren't successful in finding a fix for your Tripp-lite. Let us know how it comes out (since I have the same model that is working - for now). No problems from mine in the limited time I've had it.

It would seem for someone with basic knowledge of inverters/chargers it might be a simple swap, but that's not me of course. But I'm learning to do things myself because local RV shops are really high-priced.

If your diagnosis is correct, then a new inverter/charger is required. But if there is some condition that I can perhaps replicate or see how my Tripp-lite handles it, let me know and I'll give it a try and let you know what happens.

Roy
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote