Old 05-31-2015, 01:15 PM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
Go on line and get a Rock Tamer, will stop your rock problems.
How will that help us from getting chips in our windshields? Which is what we're collectively complaining about…

When I first started towing a toad, I used a Rock Tamer to help keep my toad from getting beat up by road debris. I quit using it when I found out that the factory rear tire mudguards on an Interstate do a perfectly adequate job all on their own. Since I quit using the Rock Tamer on my Interstate, I've still had no damage to my toad from debris thrown up by my Interstate's tires.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew05 View Post
I asked about repairs and she laughed. She said that repairs were not very effective.
I've had several W/S w/ star chips and had the Safelite epoxy repair done and experienced no further damage and the repair was close to invisible. The one that I didn't have repaired cuz it was hidden by the wiper blade, developed into a full crack necessitating W/S replacement.

As far as the DIY chip repair kits go, I'll stick w/ Safelite or equivalent. Having watched them do several, there's no way a kit can approach what they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldforester View Post
Having a $1,000 deductible, I called my insurance company to check on reducing my deductible and learned that they offered a rider specifically for window glass that cost me about $6 per month. That rider waives the deductible on glass damage without affecting other coverages or deductibles. You might look into that. Safeco is the company we used.
Make sure that the removal of deductible is not dependent on being able to repair the chip as opposed to full W/S replacement.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Really? I thought that was only the rear glass. The windshield is defrosted by heater vents on top of the dashboard....
Don't know what year Airstream started buying the Mercedes Sprinters with windshield heaters but my 2013 model built on a 2012 Sprinter has the wires in the windshield. You can see them if you look real close and there is a separate control for that heater as shown in attached clip from the owners manual.

- - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	239690  
Old 05-31-2015, 08:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I've had several W/S w/ star chips and had the Safelite epoxy repair done and experienced no further damage and the repair was close to invisible. The one that I didn't have repaired cuz it was hidden by the wiper blade, developed into a full crack necessitating W/S replacement. ...

... Make sure that the removal of deductible is not dependent on being able to repair the chip as opposed to full W/S replacement.
Good point on the deductible waiver. On my policy it covers chip repairs without a deductible, but I'd pay the deductible if it is replaced.

- - Mike
Old 05-31-2015, 08:57 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Don't know what year Airstream started buying the Mercedes Sprinters with windshield heaters but my 2013 model built on a 2012 Sprinter has the wires in the windshield. You can see them if you look real close and there is a separate control for that heater as shown in attached clip from the owners manual.
It shows up in my 2011 manual as well, but not on my 2012 Interstate/2011 Sprinter dashboard. Airstream must have started buying the ones with the windshield heaters with the 2013 Interstate/2012 Sprinter models.

Guess that means if I ever have to replace the windshield it will be a little less expensive for me than for some of you guys…

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote