Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 04:09 PM   #1

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Santa Rosa , California
Undercarriage Mounting PVC Storage/Tube

I'm looking for a place to store a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting. I'm thinking of a 6 foot long piece of 6" abs/pvc mounted to the undercarriage.
Question: has anyone attempted this? Thanks, Rocki
Rocki12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Airforums. Will you be able to roll the carpet tite enuf to fit inside the pipe?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
You might get some ideas from my blog post which is accessible by searching "Interstate blog Valterra" on google (I'm on my phone and I don't know how to insert a URL). We didn't make a device from scratch but we expanded the original under-chassis hose carrier. The same could be done for an outdoor mat, and I've thought about doing it, but we've had too many other projects ahead of that.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:21 PM   #4

Santa Rosa , California
Yes, it just fits! Rocki
Old 05-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #5

Santa Rosa , California
Excellent, I'll take a look. Rocki
Old 05-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Carpet is heavier than sewer hose
You will need to fasten directly to the steel frame not the aluminum skin
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
OP, which carpet do you have? Was it a specific brand, or a scrap of something?

I have a CGear sand-free mat, probably the medium size, so 8' x 8', but I never take it anywhere because, in plain English, it's such a pain the a$$ to fold and store. It's springy and slippery and uncooperative and I end up concluding much of the time that it's not worth the hassle. Just now, I tried to roll it to put it in one of my PVC tube scraps to see if it would fit, and it ain't happening. Or it could happen, but the effort makes it not worthwhile.

An alternative to a tube would be a tarp envelope into which a mat or carpet is folded and then stored under the chassis. I developed this Valterra stacker under-chassis storage system (blog post). The stackers themselves are encased in tarp envelopes (gray packages in the middle of the pic below, secured to the frame with bungee cords) because the "lego" style pieces that snap together would not do well if exposed to a lot of road grit.

My CGear is easier to fold than roll, so I might make a tarp envelope to see how that works out. In a similar vein, I made a tarp envelope for our two UCO BBQs (the Flatpack and the Grilliput). That looks like this (blog post here):

The Sprinter chassis has numerous open ports and holes to which either a tube or an envelope might be securely attached. If I manage to get my project successfully executed, I'll post back a description.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote