Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
N. Hollywood , California
TV antenna

Having never owned an RV up until 2 weeks ago. Just wondered if the TV antenna on our 2005 Interstate needs some kind of digital adapter or will it work without one ? The name on the Antenna is Winegard.
There is a antenna amplifier that I turn on but it makes no difference .
mrcolin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Are the tv's the newer ones that receive digital signals? Older tbs will not work with the new tv signals. The antenna should have no problem receiving the digital signals.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
Are the tv's the newer ones that receive digital signals? Older tbs will not work with the new tv signals. The antenna should have no problem receiving the digital signals.
The TV is a newer flat screen Vizio
Old 05-31-2014, 05:16 PM   #4
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
Do you have the Vizo set for "antenna/over the air" in the setup screen and has it done its "auto search" for stations? Also, do you live in an area where you may not get over-the-air signals? I know that where I live we need cable or satellite to see tv. We have no reception for over-the-air in the "hollow at the base of a mountain" where we live.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:22 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Despite what antenna makers will tell you, any television antenna will pick up digital signals. VHF and UHF radio wavelengths are exactly the same regardless of whether the signal is digital or analog. Antenna manufacturers want to sell antennas, so they will try to convince you that a digital television needs a digital antenna.

If memory serves, any flat-screen television will accept digital input. I can't recall ever seeing an analog-only flat-screen television except maybe those tiny 3" Casio handheld televisions from decades ago.

If you're not receiving signal even with the antenna amplifier turned on, most likely you have to do a channel scan so that the television will recognize the signals that are there. On the move, you have to scan all over again every time you stop someplace new.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Despite what antenna makers will tell you, any television antenna will pick up digital signals. VHF and UHF radio wavelengths are exactly the same regardless of whether the signal is digital or analog. Antenna manufacturers want to sell antennas, so they will try to convince you that a digital television needs a digital antenna.

If memory serves, any flat-screen television will accept digital input. I can't recall ever seeing an analog-only flat-screen television except maybe those tiny 3" Casio handheld televisions from decades ago.

If you're not receiving signal even with the antenna amplifier turned on, most likely you have to do a channel scan so that the television will recognize the signals that are there. On the move, you have to scan all over again every time you stop someplace new.
Thanks Protagonist ...I did a channel scan and picked up 26 digital channels
Old 05-31-2014, 05:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
My Safari had a flat screen analog TV when I bought it. I bought a digital TV and installed it on a wall mount. Now I get 26 channels setting in my driveway, using the original Winegard antenna. Though, I have been camping in some locations where I have not had any reception.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Culver , Indiana
2005 Interstate TV

The original TV that came with our 2005 was not a widescreen and did not have a hdmi connector so I purchased a cheap one at best buy while we were on the road (super easy to replace). It had the same 12 volt connector. Ours was wired into the 110 jack but a quick trip to radio shack and I made a 12 volt cable so we can watch tv without an inverter and with being plugged in or using the generator. Also there is a small black button on one of the faceplates where the tv antenna cable is attached on the drivers side just above the tv. When you push that the amplifier will turn on and you get better reception. Also we were getting some wind reverberation in the mountains in Colorado with the batwing wineguard even when it was fully down. When I got home I replaced it with a Jack anterna (direct replacement) for $41.00 purchased on amazon. Works great, uses all the original wineguard mast. Took about 10 minutes to install and has a much smaller profile. I would say it gets slightly better reception but nothing special. On the other had it is more aerodynamic )
Attached Images

Air_Head is offline   Reply With Quote