Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Trouble with Sansui TV case cracking

I've got a new problem, need to get in to the dealer but I am curious if anyone else has had this trouble. The backs of my Sansui model #LEDVD198 19" flat screen TV's are failing. My Interstate was factory equipped with two screens, on in the front lounge mounted in a fixed position tilted down for viewing and one in the rear on a swing arm with no tilt. The one in front (with the fixed mount in a leaning down position which puts more stress on the mounts) has fully broken the two top mounts out of the back of the case, the bottom two were still holding it up when I discovered it but having removed it I can see that they were very badly cracked and about to fail as well. The rear TV has some minor cracking started but is not close to failing yet. Has anyone else had this issue? Is this TV common to the Interstates? If not perhaps there is another brand they have used that have more durable cases and don't suffer this problem? I have not had any significant warranty issues until now so I will be curious to see how this is handled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front tv.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	164449   Click image for larger version

Name:	front tv mount.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	164450  

Name:	Rear tv overview.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	164451   Click image for larger version

Name:	rear tv right mount.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	164452  

Name:	rear tv left mount.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	164453  
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Mine has a Toshiba in front and the PO put a Best Buy Dynex in the rear. Last time I checked, both were fine. Sounds like a Sansui problem. Should be covered under the warranty, right?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sansui, once a highly-revered company manufacturing quality audio systems, went out of business and the name was sold to another off-shore supplier of home electronics.

Unfortunately, the new company went a currently very popular path, the "leader price point" one. And to be fair, I don't think that TV manufacturers design their products to bouce around in a van.

If your warranty only gives you another TV of the same make, keep it for use in your home, and buy a higher grade of set to mount in the RV. Thankfully, the mounting holes are based on standard dimensions, so it shouldn't be a problem finding one that fits.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
It doesn't look like it's mounted correctly. Aren't there usually four screws into the back of hanging LCDs? This looks like it's relying on just two. This TV may only have two, I'm not sure, and I'm not that familiar with LCD mounts. The fact that it's in a motorhome (and all of their movement while on the road) makes the stress on those two screws much worse. Hit a nice bump, and the TVs are bouncing - or at least trying to - with all their weight on those two screws.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
This looks like it's relying on just two. This TV may only have two, I'm not sure, and I'm not that familiar with LCD mounts.
This is absolutely correct: FOUR screws are required for a proper mount, regardless of the size of mount being used.

If it is mounted with only two, you need Airstream to change it so that the force can be spread across four screws.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #6
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I bought an off-brand TV called Supersonic because it is a 12V TV. The mounting holes looked weak and in a small cluster so I used a larger mounting plate and drilled 4 new holes in the back. I used very large metal washers on the inside to spread out the support area and it has held up fine. Perhaps you could glue a sheet of plexiglass to the back and drill new holes.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Went by the factory repair center (no actual dealer here in OK) yesterday. He will be getting in touch with Airstream today to see what they are going to do. Does not seem like it will be a problem, I just hope they replace it with a different brand, the backs of these Sansui's are very flexible and flimsy. For the record, there are four mounts, only the top two broke out. You can see the studs sticking out of the mounting holes at the bottom of the screen, the butterfly nuts are sitting next to them in the pic. But these things are so flimsy that I'm SURE you are right, over every bump these things must bounce around and all that flexing cracks the case.

Aage, can you PM me a brand name of a unit who's cases might hold up better? I'm wondering if the Toshiba Airstream put in 73shark's coach might be a good bet.

Any other Interstate'rs care to sound off on what brand the factory put in your units? If you have a Sansui, I suggest you closely inspect your mounting points in the back of your cases for stress cracks! The unit in the front was almost to the point of falling down on it's own when I removed it. I would not want that hitting me in the back of the head while going down the road after hitting a big bump! Or landing on a second row passenger!
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote