Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #1

2010 22' Interstate
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Tripp Lite Inverter/Charger

Hey all, I'm new to the group but have read many of the posts on the site and found them to be very helpful. I have a 2010 Airstream Interstate and have been using it for about 2 years. I have recently had a problem with both the AGM Lifeline batteries not holding a charge and they appear to have ballooned out on the sides of the battery case. The batteries are just under 2 years old and Lifeline was nice enough to give me a prorated deal for two new batteries. I am unclear if my charging Tripp Lite Inverter/Charger was to blame for their early demise or if they were faulty batteries. Is there a way to test the the charger to see if it is overcharging the batteries? I am hesitant to reinstall the new batteries if a problem exists with my charging unit. Thanks for the input.
khutchins2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:32 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the AirForums.

You might check the DIP switch settings. I was informed that Airstream recommended the following: A1-UP, A2-DOWN, A3-UP, A4-DOWN, B1-DOWN, B2-DOWN, B3-UP, B4-UP.

This was different from what they originally told me earlier.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
The Tripplite charger if left plugged in will overcharge the house batteries, and that is what likely happened. I used to have the same model in a Roadtrek, and it routinely boiled the water out right of the wet cell batteries.

I highly recommend replacing it with the Magnum unit they currently use. Or don't leave the charger on for very long, at the very least. Those AGM's are expensive. My 2011 still has the original AGM's and they are fine-but I replaced the Triplite with the Magnum a few years ago and was careful not to overcharge them before I did the swap.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:36 PM   #4

2010 22' Interstate
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks for the speedy reply. I think I did cook them as I left the unit plugged in for over a month with minimal use. Which Magnum charge controller/inverter would you recommend?
Old 05-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
The Magnum MMS1012 is an easy replacement and is standard on the newer AS Interstates. You should also add the RC50 along with the replacement of the stock undersized wiring. Lew is a great resource and helped me through the replacement so now I can leave it plugged in 24/7 without worrying about the batteries.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:55 AM   #6

2010 22' Interstate
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Great. Thanks for all the information. Will look into replacing the Tripplite with the Magnum MMS1012.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:45 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Upgrading Inverter Charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
The Magnum MMS1012 is an easy replacement and is standard on the newer AS Interstates. You should also add the RC50 along with the replacement of the stock undersized wiring. Lew is a great resource and helped me through the replacement so now I can leave it plugged in 24/7 without worrying about the batteries.
Do you have any details on this? I am planning to do the same. Wondering where you put everything. Maybe there is another thread detailing this?
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #8
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My Magnum was in the crowded box under the couch. When I had to replace it because I mistakenly reset the Magnum with the external AC power plugged in, I installed the new Magnum on the back of that box. That lost me just a bit of rear storage, but it gave me plenty of room in the box to neaten up the wiring and it is better ventilated in the new location.

The Magnum is great, but nowhere in the manual or in the Airstream manual does it warn not to reset the inverter with external AC present. Trust me, there will be a lot of smoke.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:09 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeurin View Post
Do you have any details on this? I am planning to do the same. Wondering where you put everything. Maybe there is another thread detailing this?
I assume you have a standard, (not EXT), lounge model. I put the Magnum inverter on the rear vertical panel in the original inverter area and put another wood panel to fill the hole where the Tripplite was and mounted a a Blue Sea switch there. I also upgraded all the cables to 2/0 gauge. I also fused it inline with a Blue Sea Class T block and added the Magnum BMK battery monitor along with the RC50 control panel, (located with all the other controls above the passenger side rear jump seat). I also upgraded the batteries from the original 12V 80Ah Lifelines to two 6CT 300Ah Lifelines in the same location. I should have taken pictures but I was in a rush to finish as we were headed out at the time. Lew Farber was an invaluable resource and can answer most questions you may have.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeurin View Post
In the 2013 coach, you just missed the Magnum MS1012 by a few months in production. That's unfortunate.

I have a 2011, and it came with the Tripp Lite like yours, which I presume is mounted with a cutout under the couch which is just below the front edge and on a bit of the right center.

Here's how you replace it.

1. To remove it, you must remove the coach lower cushion. There are two bolts on the left and right rail on the front side, with locking nuts and hex bolts, and two welded threaded studs on bottom of the cushion that poke through the same rail that has a locking bolts. First, with the couch in the full upright position, remove the two bolts. Then, using the electric switch, move it so you can access the lower part of the front edge where the two bolts are. Remove those. Push the cushion up and out, and remove it. Be careful as you don't want to protruding threaded posts ripping any of the other leather surfaces or scratch anything.

Next, to remove the Tripp Lite, be sure you are NOT plugged into shore power and be sure the inverter is also turned off. Carefully remove the positive cable, and wrap it in black electrical tape, because it is connected to the coach batteries, and unless you want to see sparks, you better be very careful with it. Remove the negative DC connection and the AC lines, and ground. The inverter is held to the floor if I recall with a couple of easily removed screws. You will be surprised at how flimsily it was installed. Pull the unit and set it aside.

2. Next, mount the MS1012 in the same location as they did in later models -on the back panel of this compartment, facing forward. I removed the back panel, and placed the MS1012 on it, marked the screw holes, and drilled them. I used bolts and a decorative finish washers on the side facing rear. I made the AC connections after mounting it on the back panel while it was facing up, and also the DC connections. I also installed a BMK battery monitor and RC-50 remote. I ran the wire to the instrument panel, and took off the Tripp Lite remote, fit the RC-50 on the panel (it will need to be cut out), and plugged it in.

I then tilted the back panel into place, with the MS1012 on it and screwed the panel in place.

I left the hole where the Tripplite was on the forware panel, and it came in handy when I had to reset the breaker after it tripped on one occasion when my wife used a hair dryer it didn't like. I may close it off at some point, but with the door closed, it can't be seen anyway.

That's pretty much it.

I have the battery monitor kit I no longer use. I replaced it with the Victron battery monitor 712 and remote monitor just a few weeks ago.

Drop me a private email-if you want I can walk you through it over the phone. We are almost neighbors.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:23 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thanks to everyone who responded. I think that I know what to do now! You are all so kind and so quick to respond.
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote