Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Travelling with your Interstate: Nights in Hotel vs Coach

I think one of the best things about the Interstate is that you can sleep in it, or easily park at a hotel and get a room. What do most of you when you travel? How many hotel nights and how many nights in the Interstate?
rbtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
No hotel nights for us, we love the comfort of our Coach!
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Have only done short trips so far, so, no hotel rooms. But, we would not be afraid to do so on a longer trip, if we just felt the need to spread out for a night. At least, that's what we tell ourselves. In reality, we might be too thrifty to pay for a room.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #4

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
It depends on the trip. When we are in a hurry, for whatever reason, we will overnight in motels. It allows us to spend more time putting miles behind us and getting on to the destination. If we are on a leisurely "cruise" trip, and there are decent campgrounds enroute, we will camp enroute.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Wow, hundred thousand plus for an RV and spending the night in a motel. You are self contained, use it. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
148,000+ miles in the Interstate in 7 years.

0 nights in a hotel while out on the road. Why?

Maggie
Old 05-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
148,000+ miles in the Interstate in 7 years.

0 nights in a hotel while out on the road. Why?

Maggie
Good to see you back, it's been awhile.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Good to see you back, it's been awhile.
Thank you. Inch by inch.

Maggie
Old 05-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
16,600 miles total to date. Not sure how many trips because I don't keep count. No hotel stays. If I was on an extended trip sometime after I retire and can do extended trips, I might stay a night in a hotel simply so I can do laundry, wash my bedding, and take a shower in the privacy of a hotel room where I have elbow room.

Side note, why is it every single bathhouse in every single campground I've stayed at has doors on the toilet stalls, but only curtains on the shower stalls? I'll shower in a campground bathhouse only when they finally start putting doors on the shower stalls like they do on the toilet stalls.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
23000 miles 1 year when I alone about 40 nights in AI and 5 in Hotel. The 5 nights in the hotel only because it was minus 20 outside. I use it in my business as I spend too much time in airplanes hotels and restaurants. Love my AI.
With the wife about 30 in the AI and 10 in a Hotel. Depending on different things but every 3 to 5 days we need to more room around us as well I guess between us.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
30,000 miles in one year. Only nites in hotel were for trip to Minnesota in February.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
Overnights

When traveling with another couple we have stayed in motels. We took friends on a 2K trip to Niagara Falls and did so. We ate in the Airstream but spent on overnight on the way, 2 nights there and one night on the way back. When traveling with just my wife and two dogs, we always stay in the motor home.
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:01 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If I was on an extended trip sometime after I retire and can do extended trips, I might stay a night in a hotel simply so I can do laundry, wash my bedding, and take a shower in the privacy of a hotel room where I have elbow room.
Many commercial campgrounds do have laundry facilities. I've had pretty good luck with them.

Quote:
Side note, why is it every single bathhouse in every single campground I've stayed at has doors on the toilet stalls, but only curtains on the shower stalls? I'll shower in a campground bathhouse only when they finally start putting doors on the shower stalls like they do on the toilet stalls.
It can get much worse: I know of one campground we frequent several times a year (it's convenient to family) that doesn't even have curtains for the changing area of the stall in the men's. So basically you're out there dressing and undressing in full view. (My wife reports the women's room does have them.) Upgrading to a camper with a usable shower was quite an improvement for us.

Sorry, off topic. We should start a thread about bad campground bathrooms. I have some other stories!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My wife and I have only taken one trip alone and stayed at a campground in Amarillo. The rest of our trips always include some or all of our grandkids so that necessitates staying in motels/hotels.

Did go to a soccer tournament w/ grandson and we stayed in the RV. All of his teammates were always fighting to see who could ride w/ us to the games. Seemed to think it was a big deal.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Did go to a soccer tournament w/ grandson and we stayed in the RV. All of his teammates were always fighting to see who could ride w/ us to the games. Seemed to think it was a big deal.
This is almost the same with husband's cycling team buddies. They LOVE our rv. They love getting to ride to a race with him. They also love using our toilet instead of the porta potties at races. Maybe that's the real reason they love it!!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:07 AM   #16
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
We have a 7,000 mi, 30ish day trip planned for this Dec. We will probably opt for a hotel every 6 or 7 days to stretch out and do up laundry. This is a concession to wife who really isnt thrilled with AI having moved down from a 39' pusher to a B+ Navion IQ to the AI. I however, am the one doing the driving and I am thrilled with the drivability of these coaches. If it were just me, there would be no hotels.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 02:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
After talking with my wife, she reminded me that when we had the Interstate, we needed to stop every so often to let the thing air out. It is really confined. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
After talking with my wife, she reminded me that when we had the Interstate, we needed to stop every so often to let the thing air out. It is really confined. Jim
I don't think we'll have that problem, because, you see, we have what is called "perpetual dog breath" air freshener." We've had it in all our vehicles. They all smelled the same, and we just got used to it. I suspect the Interstate will develop the same scent after a while.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Mine doesn't seem to have that problem. I store it with the rooftop vent and bathroom vent open. I camp with the rooftop vent and bathroom vent open. I drive with the rooftop vent open and bathroom vent closed. The only time I close the rooftop vent is for an impending hurricane. The air never gets stale or funky-smelling.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:27 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
We like to rent a cabin in Tennessee or Colorado or a beach house in Florida, The Airstream is wonderful to travel in, we usually pull off in a rest area or RV park along the way. It's really nice that the AI is small enough to use as our get around vehicle after arriving at our destination.
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote