Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinshort View Post
Hey folks.. long time lurker.. first time poster here. ����*♂️

I'm planning to purchase my first RV in the next 2 weeks.. either a 2019 Interstate GT EXT or a 2020 version. I'm a 1099 employee that's responsible for my own expenses and I'm planning on turning all that hotel and restaurant money into RV ownership money.

Based on the systems currently onboard the stock Interstates for 19/20.. I'm wanting some feedback from the pros on how feasible my use-scenario is and to find out where my blind spots may be.

A typical day for me would be a day on the road.. and then boondocking at night.. either in a customers parking lot, Walmart, Cracker Barrel, etc. I would typically be docked from 5pm - 9am at which point I would drive to my next appointment.. typically 75+ miles away and then repeat the overnight cycle. I would typically do this 3-4 days a week in a row and would be in the RV solo.. I'd want to use heat / AC overnight, make coffee in the AM, etc.

With me driving somewhere everyday and recharging everything.. will I have to worry about anything power related? Could I run my heat or AC all night in that scenario?

I understand I may have to dump tanks towards the end of the week but from a power perspective.. is this feasible? Where are my blind spots?

Welcome to the Forum [emoji33]

“WOW” - are my first thoughts after reading feedback from the folks who’ve shared their opinion so far.

My opinion:
I don’t agree with most* of the opinions expressed so far, and I’m actually using my Interstate for business just as you’re contemplating. *yep the generator is noisy.

My Application:
After 20 lovely years of retirement (age 40-60) I’m back to work chasing deals in the IC and Motion Control business.

Product Choice:
A GT is probably ideal for your described application, while I personally have chosen an Interstate again (#8).

I LOVE using my Interstate for business! My customers LOVE it even more. Recently, after a several months difficulty connecting with a target customer company president - I parked my Airstream out in front of the facility. Within 20 mins the VP of manufacturing and the president were in the lobby asking who owns that van? He prob doesn’t care I flew my own aircraft into town, and left the van at the FBO or MARRIOTT parking lot for the previous two weeks.

Parking, charging, are all non- issues. (claustrophobia in the van? Really???) A Planet Fitness or other national fitness company membership is necessary for multiple reasons (your health, your parking if you’d like, your shower etc.) I like to hit unique CrossFit’s and PF’s along the way.

Charging:
If I need to run the generator for charging, I run it the last 1/2 - 1 hour driving. Someone might explain why that’s a bad idea, but that’s been my practice since 2014.

Long term parking:
I shut down all power for the coach, and unplug the chassis battery by gas pedal. Three weeks max so far on this recent van - zero problems with this approach so far.

Parking:
A zillion non-sleazy parking options. Harvest Host has a nice list, including country clubs. I park at my above mentioned spots easily and free of hassle (FBO’s, HH, Fitness).

Feel free to PM me

- and ignore the negative noise, except the heat and humidity problem, that’ll require a plug in someplace most likely. But you can figure that out with a $ gratuity here and there.

You gave a classy, high end van, leverage that fact along with your professionalism and kindness. That’ll go a long way for you. Especially at golf courses and harvest hosts.

Best, Scott
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Scott is in Oregon. The OP is in the Carolinas. That makes a HUGE difference in use-ability of the Interstate, assuming that each stays close to their home territory, at least within the region. Those of us in the Deep South cannot use our Interstates during many months of the year without hook-ups, due to the heat and humidity issues. We simply cannot.

And even WITH hook-ups, it’s very trying. We had one businessman several years ago regale us with tales of working from his lavatory, which he and his wife nicknamed “the phone booth”. The stock air conditioners are so loud on Interstates that it’s impossible to hold a normal conversation within the interior of the van.

It is true, though, that clients universally like the Interstate. It’s a great sales draw. Clients and subcontractors alike. Their thoughts:

(1) Someone traveling for work in that thing means that they are very dedicated to their work, and we like to see that quality in a vendor / contractor.

(2) Someone traveling in that thing with all those upgrades (we have conspicuous solar and electrical) must be doing very well financially. Therefore, their work product must be worth investing in.

Nobody has mentioned the insurance issue on this thread. Again, I don’t want to get too far into the weeds, but those who work out of their vehicles (MHs or trailers) cannot qualify for “recreational” insurance policies, which are intended to cover people on vacation.

Do some people use recreational policies anyway? Of course, but we haven’t had a test case that I know of where someone tried to make a claim only to have the circumstances show that they were NOT actually on vacation and therefore were not engaging in a covered activity. I have an agent (Ron Jarvie of Overland Insurance) who helped me navigate all that.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Portland , Oregon
Just google van life. Lots of people live and work from there vans and trailers. Your only impossible request is the AC issue. Live without the AC and you good to go.
ProTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:56 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Scott is in Oregon. The OP is in the Carolinas. That makes a HUGE difference in use-ability of the Interstate, assuming that each stays close to their home territory, at least within the region. Those of us in the Deep South cannot use our Interstates during many months of the year without hook-ups, due to the heat and humidity issues. We simply cannot.

And even WITH hook-ups, it’s very trying. We had one businessman several years ago regale us with tales of working from his lavatory, which he and his wife nicknamed “the phone booth”. The stock air conditioners are so loud on Interstates that it’s impossible to hold a normal conversation within the interior of the van.

It is true, though, that clients universally like the Interstate. It’s a great sales draw. Clients and subcontractors alike. Their thoughts:

(1) Someone traveling for work in that thing means that they are very dedicated to their work, and we like to see that quality in a vendor / contractor.

(2) Someone traveling in that thing with all those upgrades (we have conspicuous solar and electrical) must be doing very well financially. Therefore, their work product must be worth investing in.

Nobody has mentioned the insurance issue on this thread. Again, I don’t want to get too far into the weeds, but those who work out of their vehicles (MHs or trailers) cannot qualify for “recreational” insurance policies, which are intended to cover people on vacation.

Do some people use recreational policies anyway? Of course, but we haven’t had a test case that I know of where someone tried to make a claim only to have the circumstances show that they were NOT actually on vacation and therefore were not engaging in a covered activity. I have an agent (Ron Jarvie of Overland Insurance) who helped me navigate all that.

That’s like me saying you live in Nova Scotia [emoji23]

Actually Scott lives in New Hampshire, and visits his other homes in Oregon and Jackson Wyoming frequently.

And, my clients and prospects, are sadly in humid Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio, Kansas, and Tennessee. Regardless, the van works just fine in any state as long as you’re flexible, adventurous and open minded.

Utilizing your van as a multipurpose vehicle allows you to avoid rental cars and hotel expenses… Near Chicago, I was spending about $1500-$2000 per week in hotel and car rental. Obviously I won’t rent crummy little cars, or stay in a crappy hotel. Your mileage may vary. I’d rather have the flexibility of the van, and my own food on board, with comfortable accommodations. Personally, I don’t mind going to a new fitness club in a new city. I also like having my clothes and all my gear in one place (bicycle, hiking shoes, running shoes etc.)

Certainly insure your vehicle however you see fit, or self-insure. Regardless, I’m simply saying I can be done… And it’s one of the best choices I personally made a long time. I parked the van, sometimes in an airplane hanger in a familiar FBO, sometimes insecure parking behind the Marriott hotel in a couple of different cities… And I am remarkably happy with my choice.
YMMV
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
As I mentioned above, every thread needs at least one photo.

This was a property I was boondocking on earlier this year for work purposes, with the owner's permission.

We only get about three sunsets per year that are this dramatic. A frontal boundary must be passing above us right at sunset for this to occur, which statistically is rare. I keep my eyes open for those events, and I drove over to this rural site wondering IF THIS WILL BE SUCH A DAY, when a front passes at sunset, and I just happen to be in such a unique wilderness area when it occurs.

It was indeed such a day. That's my #vandog in the shadowy foreground, with hundreds of acres all to ourselves. No way these kinds of opportunities happen in most non-boondocking scenarios.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:03 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Liberty Township , Ohio
Hello InterBlog,
I've been off the forum for a while (busy with the holidays) so I'm just getting myself caught up on a few posts that caught my eye. This particular subject matter caught my eye because I was anxious to glean some veteran RV'r wisdom to those more seasoned Jacks & Jills of the trade! We've owned our first rig now for about 1 1/2 years and enjoying it immensely! I really just wanted to say "thank you" for taking the time to write such a thoughtful and insightful post. Additionally, your comments regarding the viability of the efficient use of the AC in an off grid scenario for any sustained period with a straight AIGT OEM set-up helped confirm my thoughts on the matter. At the moment we're content with our "out of the box" OEM set up, but in time I definitely see some energy related MODS in our future.
Thanks again for sharing your experiences and RV wisdom!
Luckysnuck is offline   Reply With Quote