Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 03:59 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
East Hampton , Connecticut
Trailer Electrical Harness Short?

I have a Stowaway bow on my 2012 AI which plugs into the hitch harness. The hitch and harness appear to be ONE. The harness is branded Pollak.

The lights on the box appear to function properly with one exception: The right Stowaway tail light remains lit very faintly for a few moments when everything else is off. The corresponding Sprinter tail light does not do the same thing.It is clear that it remains on with the interior lighting timer every time a door is opened or closed, doors locked, etc.

My guess is that I have a wiring short tied in with the interior lighting.

Any ideas how to track down and resolve this? I am at a loss as to the exact location to check.

Thank You,
Curt
CAS138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
There's no short. Your Stowaway has LED tailights, and they are not compatible with Sprinters. Exchange them for the old fashioned bulb type and the issue will go away.

I just replaced my old Stowaway, which was trashed by Camping World's wonderful tech's when I had an AC unit replaced, with a new one. They paid for it, and I saw the invoice, and they did not order the LED tail light option, but it came with them anyway. Luckily, I kept the old lights from the damaged Stowaway, and it was an easy fix. Before I swapped them out, mine had the identical symptom, and I thought the same as you. Then I remember when I ordered mine originally reading on their site about LED's not being compatible with MB Sprinters. Sure enough, they were right.

There is now trick to getting them out, just push from the back. But smear a bit of Dawn soap on the inside rubber seal to put the new ones back in from the front.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Or...as it was suggested when I was sharing the install of LED trailer lights kit... get the adapter with the built-in resistor. No need to change the LED lights.

https://www.autozone.com/trailer-hit...ter/529445_0_0
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Thank you both. I have already ordered replacement lights. Should be ready to install and tes t in just a few days. I will let you know if the problem is solved.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
The replacement lghts did the trick! Thank you both for your time saving information and help!
-Curt