Old 01-13-2015, 10:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Trade in Lounge Model for Grand Tour?

Hi All,

I bought a new 2014.5 Lounge Model last year and I love it. However, after seeing the new Grand Tour I think it'll be a better fit for how I want to use it, which is mostly camping. For those of you that own a Grand Tour, I'd love to hear your feedback about what you like versus what you don't like? I don't want to trade in a brand new van if the difference isn't that big.

There are a few things that bug me about the Interstate Lounge I have. First, at 6" tall, I'm a bit too tall for the bed. I also think the bed is hard so I've bought a topper for it, which helps a lot but I have no place to store it. I like the lounge layout, but could really use some more space to store the topper and bedding.

The Grand Tour has a lot of extra space, the larger refrigerator, the screen doors, the larger bed, the extra cabinet space, extra counter space, the desk, and the new microwave. The extra storage, fridge, and screens are the biggest draw for me. I don't mind giving up the two captain's chairs as I've never had anyone ride with us.

I'd love to hear about your experiences. If anyone has any thoughts on what I'd eat in depreciation, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

How is it to move around inside? Does it feel cramped and is it still difficult to move around people? How do the batteries last with the larger refrigerator? Is there anything you wish would be different?

Thanks for your input!

Old 01-13-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
I would recommend that you look at the Great West Vans Legend and (if you have deep pockets) Advanced RV. The Grand Tour is the result of Airstream finally discovering a very sensible floor plan that has been standard by those two upfitters for a long time.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I 'll chime in since you didn't get any responses from GT owners.

First, it will cost you a bundle if you sell now. Don't know what you paid but a trade in at this point won't be pretty. I would call up the dealer who sold you your van and ask them what they could do for you.

Sounds like you would have been fine had you bought the extended version of the Interstate so that may still be an option for you. The extra space in back is nice. The Larger refrigerator in the GT sounds nice but I would really miss the extra captains chairs up front. You may not miss them.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:57 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Los Gatos , California
As a new Grand Tour owner I would have responded sooner, but we have nothing to compare with to help with your question "Is it worth it to trade in the Lounge?" I can only say that our expectations have been met and exceeded in every aspect of the GT. Our friends have an AI Ext, and I can certainly see the appeal and utility of the second row of seats. But for my wife and me, and two small dogs, our plans are to do short-to-mid camping trips for "just us", so the tradeoff for eliminating those seats is definitely worth it. The refrig and freezer can accommodate everything we need for a week, there is plenty of storage space, the "king" bed is roomy for all of us (and I'm 6'2"), and the kitchen on the slider side is perfect for being able to visit with the outdoor area under the awning. I'm sorry I'm not able to comment on the economics of making the exchange, but everything else being equal, I certainly know this was the best choice for us.
Old 01-18-2015, 05:08 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by migriffin View Post
There are a few things that bug me about the Interstate Lounge I have. First, at 6" tall, I'm a bit too tall for the bed. I also think the bed is hard so I've bought a topper for it, which helps a lot but I have no place to store it. I like the lounge layout, but could really use some more space to store the topper and bedding.
I don't find the sofa/bed to be particularly hard. But the padding is definitely not a consistent thickness throughout; that's the price you pay for having both a sofa and a bed all in one.

The hardest part of the bed is the edges of the side-facing seats, that the sofa bottom cushion butts up against in bed mode. But that thinly-padded piece of wood CAN be removed. Tilt the seat up like you were going to jackknife it out, but then block it up about halfway. That will expose the two hex-head machine screws that hold on the edge piece so you can remove them.

That leaves a small gap in the bed, but that gap is much comfier than the edge of the padded board. It also leaves some black anodized jackknife hinge hardware exposed, which is a minus, but that hardware doesn't stick up nearly as far as does the board, so you may never feel the hardware. It should be easy enough to remove the padded board on one side, make up the bed, and do a side-by-side comparison. And if it's no better, put the padded board back in place and no harm done. If it is better without the padded board, then remove the other one as well, and you're good to go.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Like Protagonist, we noticed the hard board as well. I will try removing it but my first thought was to remove it, take off the outer cover, cut the board down a 1/2" or so, add some additional padding and re-install the cover. I am going to pull one off soon and see if that is feasible. If necessary, I might try taking them to an upholsterer to have it done right.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

San Diego , California
I don't think this solves migriffin's length of bed problem.

Protagonist & jerhofer, I do like your thinking. I don't feel that board often with my memory foam padding but may want to try this as well.

How about just removing the board and if you have to have a shorter one, then just make a new one out of mdf or plywood and have it recovered.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:13 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
I don't think this solves migriffin's length of bed problem.
Nothing will solve migriffin's length of bed problem other than cutting him off at the ankles. The best we can do is address the other problems.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
Thank you for the input so far everyone. Keep it coming. I'm mostly curious what Grand Tour owners think of their Grand Tour. Do you have any thoughts on what could be better or what I should be considering?

Right now the debate is between the Grand Tour and an AdvancedRV. While I love that I can customize the AdvancedRV, I think the aesthetic of the design and quality on the Airstream is superior...it just seems more polished and refined (at least from what I can tell online). The debate in my head is one about functionality (AdvancedRV) versus design (Airstream).

Thank you Protag, Jerhofer, and Ron_CA for the thoughts on the bed. That should help and is something I'll try if I end up keeping it.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
The debate in my head is one about functionality (AdvancedRV) versus design (Airstream).
I agree with that assessment. However, there is another dimension: Build quality. AS historically has been pretty dodgy in that category (you can find many previous threads on this topic). Ours certainly was very poor. I am pretty sure ARVs build quality is high.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Thank you for the input so far everyone. Keep it coming. I'm mostly curious what Grand Tour owners think of their Grand Tour. Do you have any thoughts on what could be better or what I should be considering?

Right now the debate is between the Grand Tour and an AdvancedRV. While I love that I can customize the AdvancedRV, I think the aesthetic of the design and quality on the Airstream is superior...it just seems more polished and refined (at least from what I can tell online). The debate in my head is one about functionality (AdvancedRV) versus design (Airstream).

Thank you Protag, Jerhofer, and Ron_CA for the thoughts on the bed. That should help and is something I'll try if I end up keeping it.
In my opinion there is nothing to touch the quality of an AdvancedRV: everything installed on it is to the highest standard; you can order it with solid wood or a laminated wood; but - and there's always a but - you are talking about a price approaching $200K especially if you order it with the very expensive Lithium batteries; and secondly the current wait on a new one is about 18 months.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #12

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
In my opinion there is nothing to touch the quality of an AdvancedRV: everything installed on it is to the highest standard; you can order it with solid wood or a laminated wood; but - and there's always a but - you are talking about a price approaching $200K especially if you order it with the very expensive Lithium batteries; and secondly the current wait on a new one is about 18 months.
I can't speak for everyone here, but I'd be interested in seeing an evaluation of the Grand Tour on its own merits and faults, NOT in comparison to some other brand.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 01-20-2015, 10:50 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Los Gatos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I can't speak for everyone here, but I'd be interested in seeing an evaluation of the Grand Tour on its own merits and faults, NOT in comparison to some other brand.
Well, I started those comments earlier in this thread, and with each outing my wife and I are more convinced that this was the perfect choice for our needs. We have no problem at all with the bed and I sleep as well or better than at home. As far as build quality, perhaps QC has ramped up in the 2015 models, but we have yet to find any feature or function that is not working properly.