Old 09-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
Towing boat with 2016 Ext Lounge

I'm considering towing and launching a pontoon boat and was wondering if anyone has experience doing the same with an AI Ext?

Old 09-25-2015, 12:20 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
No experience with towing and launching any kind of boat with an Interstate, but plenty of experience launching boats all over southern Louisiana with other vehicles, mostly pickups and SUVs.

A stock Sprinter 3500 EXT long-wheelbase cargo van has a departure angle of only 11°. That translates to a slope of 1 vertical on 5.145 horizontal or a grade of 19.4%. Your Interstate has "effects molding" all around that reduces that departure angle somewhat, but I don't know exactly what the new number is. However, your actual departure angle is important because it determines the maximum boat ramp slope your Interstate can handle.

Given the number of threads on the AirForums relating to EXT Interstates dragging their bumpers on steep driveways due to low departure angle— most driveways aren't as steep as a boat ramp— I'd be really reluctant to back an Interstate down a slope with water at the end, for fear of getting water into your house battery compartment and/or generator if you back just a smidgen too far.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Thanks Protagonist. True and understood that the ramps would have to be chosen wisely. I know in New York where I live half the time there are some pretty steep ramps. But in Florida, where I live half and soon to be full time, I thought the ramps might be more suitable. Could be wrong as I haven't spent much time focusing on the slopes down here. I assumed the limiting factor was going to be the tow capacity limitation on the AI as I was looking to purchase the largest pontoon possible to tow behind the AI. Trying to keep under 5k pound limit is challenging also.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
No experience with towing and launching any kind of boat with an Interstate, but plenty of experience launching boats all over southern Louisiana with other vehicles, mostly pickups and SUVs.

A stock Sprinter 3500 EXT long-wheelbase cargo van has a departure angle of only 11°. That translates to a slope of 1 vertical on 5.145 horizontal or a grade of 19.4%. Your Interstate has "effects molding" all around that reduces that departure angle somewhat, but I don't know exactly what the new number is. However, your actual departure angle is important because it determines the maximum boat ramp slope your Interstate can handle.

Given the number of threads on the AirForums relating to EXT Interstates dragging their bumpers on steep driveways due to low departure angle— most driveways aren't as steep as a boat ramp— I'd be really reluctant to back an Interstate down a slope with water at the end, for fear of getting water into your house battery compartment and/or generator if you back just a smidgen too far.
Pirogues don't need much water to launch
Old 09-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Thanks Ron. Do they make one that seats 9?
Old 09-26-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Pirogues don't need much water to launch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Thanks Ron. Do they make one that seats 9?
Three people is about the limit, or two duck hunters and their dogs. A pirogue originally was a canoe made from a single tree trunk, but in modern usage it's a hermaphrodite offspring of a canoe and a skiff— basically a flat-bottomed canoe.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Sounds like WAY too much exercise to me. I'd rather scrape my bumper!
Old 09-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Be aware that the front bumper covers on the earlier models before the recent Sprinter change were held on w/ four pop-rivets and maybe some 3M VHB tape. About a year ago a poster was stopped at an intersection and his bumper cover fell off.

When I checked mine, it was only held on by the rivets. Any tape they may have used wasn't properly prepped and came loose, much like the side trim that I had to replace the tape on.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 01:51 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2000 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel
Fresno , California
I once hooked up my ski boat (I have 3 boats...my other hobby asides from motorhomes) to my 36' DP after seeing someone do basically the same (I think they had a 38' FW Excursion) and they made it look super easy...well, it's not. My friend personally uses his Sportsmobile as a TV and it's also on a 3500 chassis, but with MUCH higher ground clearance than an Interstate, almost rivalling my H2 toad! Anyways, my two cents is that I can see towing the boat on flat-land a non-issue...but definitely a BIG issue come launch time. As much as it sucks needing someone else to drive the H2 on boat trips (80% of my RV trips involve my boat...50% of those are with a boat longer than my RV anyways so my 3500 Denali takes care of that) we use walkie-talkies on the highway and it's always good times...also means I don't have to take the toad...which is always nice when hills are involved.