Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2018, 10:02 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post

I was wondering if you installed the fold down table by the sliding door or if it came with the Interstate?

Mine doesn't have that, but i like the idea.

Thanks,
Katy
Hi, Katy. I can comment.

Some of the early Interstates had this feature, some did not.

If you install any such item (which I have considered), be very mindful of the sliding door clearance -- as in, there isn't any. At least, not in mine - others may have cabinetry that differs slightly in its dimensions.

That's one of the reasons why I went with a Lagun table that also pivots to the outside. I'd love to do something with that side of that galley cabinet, but I'm not sure what I could achieve that I would like, given the space that I have to work with.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 10:44 AM   #202
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Mine has that fold down table that can be used outside. I’ve only used it a handful of times- but pretty handy.
(Currently I’m using the space right behind it to store a spare ‘A’ fuse box for out trip. Time to put it back in the shop if it ever fails).

Something in my wants to buy her old AI- and either fix it, or transfer the stuff into another Sprinter. Either would be a rather large undertaking. But I would be fun to start another ‘from scratch’- updating things ‘behind the walls’ like insulation, wiring etc. (I’d run some conduit for future expansion also).
But of course, I don’t have a place to do such a project, it would take me a couple of years and the Van is on the other side of the country.

If nothing else I’d love to have the jacknife sofas and seats for spares. Same colour as mine.

Hope someone buys it and fixes up another Sprinter.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #203
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post

Hope someone buys it and fixes up another Sprinter.

Mark
I cross-posted it, hoping that it gets bought by someone we can potentially follow.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #204
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maggie,

Just looked at the detailed salvage yard photos. Yikes!

I'm sure glad you were driving a big, modern vehicle--the Sprinter took a heck of a hit based on the engine damage, and still protected you and Lily.

Thanks for sharing this with us, and getting back to traveling again. Hope to meet up some day...

Rich
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #205
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

The passenger side was at a median, and I feel sure that protected us by not allowing the impact to push us into traffic coming off I80 and turning right (I was in the left turn only lane.)

We rocked side to side, but not violently, while the semi sliced the front clean off.

Maggie
Old 06-22-2018, 04:33 PM   #206
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I have in the garage the pedestal table and posts for the rear.

The little table by the cargo door did come with it, and we used it often when boondocking...Doug would stand outside with his coffee, beer or whatever, and I would sit on the steps and use the little table for my mug or wine glass.

Sad to see my bumper stickers, the falcon Gunsite logo on the driver’s side rear bumper in Doug’s memory...the filled US map, all of those states that Interstate has stayed in, most many times.

Lots of good memories in the miles on that rig, and I would like to think the good juju in its pieces and parts will bring happiness to someone else.

Maggie
Old 06-22-2018, 05:34 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I notice this is listed as a 2006 Sprinter, when it is actually a 2005 Sprinter and an 06 Interstate.

I struggled with SF while doing the claim in getting them to categorize it first not as an 05 Dodge Sprinter but as an RV, then as an 06 Interstate rather than an 05.

It was insured as an 06 Airstream Interstate, but they didn’t seem able to see that.

Interesting that now they are selling it they have it listed as an 06 Sprinter rather than an 05.

Does that make any sense?

Maggie
Old 06-23-2018, 01:49 PM   #208
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Good idea let's keep learning about Maggie's insurance experience or better yet about her new to her Interstate.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 02:07 PM   #209
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I won’t try to get the cherry pieces, tho may have when we emptied it out if I’d known it was going to be totaled.

Maybe someone will take what is usable in there and outfit a van with it...they could do most of one.

Maggie
Old 06-23-2018, 02:55 PM   #210
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I won’t try to get the cherry pieces, tho may have when we emptied it out if I’d known it was going to be totaled.

Maybe someone will take what is usable in there and outfit a van with it...they could do most of one.

Maggie

You will treasure the items (& memories) from your old van, and add many new memories in your new van. Of that I'm sure.

And if you have any problems with the new one (there's sure to be some), you know where to post and get help.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:23 PM   #211
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
And I will.

I feel in very good hands with these folks, and will be very surprised if there are any hidden issues...but, we’ll see.

Maggie
Old 06-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #212
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Flying to Arizona did make taking Lily along impossible, but should work out fine in the end. You will have a few days to get familiar with the new layout and get yoir scent into the bedding. Wouldn't want both of you trying to acclimate simultaneoisly.

Do try to get solid sleep before you leave, cause I doubt you will get much once ypu get the keys. Are you getting jazzed?

P
Old 06-23-2018, 05:48 PM   #213
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I am, a bit, Paula...have had lots of support and encouragement here and from friends outside these forums, and feel good about it.

First, my trip with the grands, and getting ready for that is taking most of my time and attention.

Maggie
Old 06-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #214
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
White Bear Lake , Minnesota
Everyone refers to the insurance agent as "my agent." They are agents for the insurance company. Do not expect them to advocate for you as a policy holder.

I had State Farm until they denied a renter's insurance claim. Their position was that I had not paid the premiums. My position was that their billing was incorrect. They showed the renter's insurance on the billing for months but when a claim was made that fell in that period of time they denied it. I no longer have State Farm. My point in this is that "my agent" did not support me at all. They have to agree with the company if the expect to continue selling the company's products.
lyleapgmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:20 AM   #215
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
. . . to be qualified IMO with the fact that many local agents are employees of independent agencies which have been privately owned and operated for decades, in our area at least. They offer coverage from many different insurance companies.

Our local agent went to bat for us when we got rear-ended a couple of years ago [tow vehicle only], and her efforts along with ours resulted in savings of many thousands of dollars.

Sometimes the broad brush does not apply to everyone.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #216
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
AAA’s $1,000 reimbursement toward the rental minivan I used to get myself and all of the Interstates stuff home was here when I returned from my week long trip with the grands.

Better than nothin’, and it arrived within two weeks of them settling my claim.

When I called AAA to be sure there was nothing I needed to do to cover the replacement Interstate I am picking up on Thursday, I was reminded that coverage is for the driver, not the rig.

I was also offered Premier RV, an upgrade from RV Plus, which I took for an additional $30/year.

For that $30, among other benefits the car travel interruption reimbursement is $1500, rather than $1000, and you get one tow up to 200 miles and three tows up to 100 miles each year.

This would be handy if you needed this from a rural area.

My mini van rental was over $1200, and there was another $500 or so in motel rooms...Premier would have covered most of that.

It never matters til you need it.

Maggie
Old 07-03-2018, 06:18 AM   #217
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
The cost numbers present a compelling argument for those of us who are embarking on the preemptive replacement adventure (crosspost here).

In the event of a break-down instead of an accident, unforeseen hotel, rental car, and shop surcharges (over and above a local competitive rate) could easily exceed a thousand bucks. Easily. I don't mind spending money but I have strong opinions about how I wish to do it. I'd rather roll the dice, take that same thousand bucks, and sink it into the Interstate proactively in the form of new parts to replace not-yet-failed parts.

With my luck, if something went wrong, I wouldn't end up stranded in a potentially interesting place like Pennsylvania or Kamloops BC. I'd end up in some Motel 6 in friggin' Tuscaloosa saying "just shoot me".
Old 07-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #218
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, I agree, IB.

Part of my high hotel cost was that I had to stay someplace that would take Lily...tho, if I’d absolutely had to, we could have spent a couple of nights in the yard where the Interstate had been towed.

The rear was intact, I had propane, good batteries and a full tank of water.

Maggie
Old 10-02-2018, 07:05 AM   #219
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Just as an FYI, Maggie's old Interstate listing changed to SOLD status within the past several days.

Last time I looked previous to today, it was bid up to something like $3,500. I have no idea what the final price was.

I'm still curious about it because I'm wondering if we are going to see that thing parted out somewhere, or incorporated into someone's new DIY project.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:19 AM   #220
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for that info, I hadn’t been back to that page in awhile.

I really hope someone slices off the front or otherwise makes themselves a camper van out of this, as but for the front end damage it was ready to go.

I’d just had the roof sealed, everything worked, batteries were new, etc.

The flooring needed replaced, but anyone reasonably handy could probably do 5at themselves.

I’ve been following cheaprvliving lately, and there are lots of folks doing clever, self made campers.

I hope it gets a new life with someone who will love it as much as we did.

Maggie