Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Top Side Oil Change

I had heard somewhere that it was not possible to perform a top side oil change on the Sprinter due to a problem with removing all of the oil from the oil pan reservoir. A top side oil change is when you insert a tube in the dipstick dip tube and suck out the oil with an extractor. I tried this and wanted to report on the results.

I was able to extract nearly 12 liters of oil using this method. I then removed the drain plug from the oil pan to see if there was any residual oil left in the pan. Only a small amount of oil dribbled out after removing the oil drain plug. After changing the filter, I poured in 12 L of oil (Mobil 1 Synthetic). Oil level seemed to be fine. At one point I got an overfill message but it went away on subsequent readings from the on board sensor. Dip stick indicates full so this looks to be a viable method. The advantages are, I do not need a 3 gallon plus drain pan, I do not have to pull the drain plug each time and it is much less messy.

I enjoy doing my own work and know that it was done properly while saving some money.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I tried this method many years ago and gave up because the suction device I had pulled the oil so slowly it took forever... and that was with just a 4-5qt engine. Did your process take a long time?

Do you have the specific item description or a link so we can see what product you used for this? What did you use for a dirty oil receptacle?
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
It does take a long time. I have an industrial size oil vac and it takes 20 minutes to suck oil out of a Subaru.

Glad it worked for the sprinter if time isn’t an issue it’s much easier to do it this way.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There are a couple of manufacturers who make a quick drain plug for oil changes that work quite well. If you are looking for efficiency and a "clean hands" solution check these out:

https://www.nospillsystems.com

http://fumotousa.com

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:42 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Thanks Swilly43 for the detail info, a no lay down n dirty oil change, I knew MB dealer does same on my sedan instead of having to remove the aerodynamic cover underneath the engine w/ 8 screws! I’ve done it for the sedan but not the Sprinter, best when engine is still warm it goes faster. I used this vac pump:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4841.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	328685
Air99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
There are a couple of manufacturers who make a quick drain plug for oil changes that work quite well. If you are looking for efficiency and a "clean hands" solution check these out:

https://www.nospillsystems.com

http://fumotousa.com
SEEMORE - Have you used the NoSpillSystems plug? I see there are 3 options - standard, low profile, and speed click. I am wondering what would work with the AI? Or I guess the better question is would it work with AI since our drain plug is almost horizontal? The minor issue I have with the AI plug output being sideways is the oil shoots out sideways a fair distance and no matter how careful, I get some splatters. So I just know to put driveway protection.

I wondering if the Fumoto would be better for my AI. I was looking at their new SX series which allows the plug output to swivel pointing straight downward. With my deep wall container, I would not have to worry about splattering on driveway.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I bought a plastic tray designed to be a catch-pan underneath the washing machine and use it for many things:
a catch pan under the drain pan when changing oil.
for repotting plants inside,
to place on the hardwood floor when bottling my home brew,
I once even used it under a washing machine like it was designed for.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:26 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2023 Interstate 19
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I use a 8L version (Autosport) similar to what Air99 posted. I have had it for over 10 years and it works great. I could not find it on the web but remember paying about the same price. It does take time but I just perform other tasks (Like checking all the other things under the hood) while it is draining (sucking). Since the oil in the sprinter is more than 8L, I have to stop it so it won't overfill. It may have a failsafe so that it will not overfill but have never tested it. I pump it up about 8 times and it usually stops before filling up. I pull the line out of the pump and hang it up so that any oil in the line drains back to the sump. I then carefully transfer the oil to 1 gal plastic jugs for recycling at the auto parts store. I also have a drain/catch pan and liberally use newspaper to protect my driveway. Diesel oil is almost impossible to clean up. I take my time to ensure it is done properly and I do not make a mess. In total about an hour start to finish including prep and clean up. Not having to lie down on the ground and hope you catch all the oil is well worth the little bit of extra time. Oh BTW the time includes the filter change.
swilly43 is offline   Reply With Quote